General Fiction posted February 3, 2022


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
You can only take so much from a bully.

Making Marcus Pay

by GeraldShuler

A Deep Secret Contest Winner 

The author has placed a warning on this post for violence.

Billy picked his books up from the ground and rose to his feet with as much dignity as he could muster. Marcus Brown had done it again. The big bully thought, for some reason, that Billy was a toy that he could toss around any way he desired. Well, Billy was fed up. He wasn't going to take it anymore. For weeks his older brother had been telling him that bullies like Marcus would crawl under a rock in fear if you ever confront him. It was time. Billy was going to prepare to face Marcus after school. No matter how it turned out, the bullying had to stop.

The final bell, releasing students to their individual freedoms, took an eternity to come. Finally, though, the bell rang and Billy grabbed his jacket, following Marcus as he walked toward his home. Billy had no idea where Marcus lived but he knew it must be near the school because he didn't get on a school bus. That fit Billy's plan perfectly. Following from a safe distance, Billy passed by a scrap piece of two-by-four lumber laying in the street gutter. He picked it up, just in case he had to defend himself. This entire 'stand-your-own-ground' attitude was foreign to Billy. He had a weapon. Why? Would he actually use it if needed? No. It wasn't his nature. He dropped the piece of wood back to the gutter.

Billy followed Marcus to a shabby neighborhood on the edge of the city dump. No surprise. Billy hadn't expected much from Marcus... not even a good house.

“Marcus Everett Brown,” The voice came from inside the house, a man's voice. “You get your worthless tail in this house right now. Where you been? You miserable...” a line of shocking vulgarity followed that Billy, unsuccessfully, tried to wipe from his hearing.

“I came straight home, Dad.” Marcus' voice sounded like a condemned man, begging for his life.

“Don't lie to me or I swear I'll...” The man, nearly as large as his voice was mean, staggered out of the front of the house. “Get in the house and get me another beer.” As Marcus passed by his father a fist landed on his chin, causing him to almost fall. “You no good bag of... I'm ashamed to call you my son!”

Billy watched from across the street. He had never been treated that way by his parents. What was worse, though, was the look on Marcus' face. Tears... but not from being hit by a drunk. His tears were born of the lack of love in his life.

The next day Billy made it a point to find Marcus. He knew it may end up with his books, and his body, strewn on the ground, but he had spent the night praying about what he had seen yesterday. As a Christian teen, it was hard enough to face peer pressure, but he knew that Marcus was different. Marcus was the one facing the pressure.

Marcus was at the water fountain when Billy found him. He had a bruise on his chin, from falling on the stairs, according to rumors. Billy knew better.

“Hi, Marcus.” Billy's knees felt weak as Marcus turned from the fountain and faced his foe. The look on his face said 'Leave me alone.' But Billy had already made his decision. He took a candy bar out of his knapsack and held it toward the Bully. “I had an extra one and I just wondered if you would like to have it.”

Marcus reached for the bar, still looking like a bear about ready to attack. “What fur?” he asked.

“No reason.” Billy said. “You just looked like you could use a friend.”

Marcus began to unwrap the candy bar. “I don't need nuthin' from no one.” He took the first bite of the sweet, unexpected gift.

“That's okay,” Billy smiled. “If you ever do need a friend, just look me up. I'll be there. It's the Christian way. In fact, I'd like to invite you to a Sunday School Picnic we're having this weekend.” Billy smiled again as he started to turn away. “Let me know if you would like to go. I'll give you all the information.” Marcus didn't say a word. But as Billy turned to leave, out of the corner of his eye, Billy saw it.

Marcus was smiling back... almost kindly.


Writing Prompt
The topic for this writing contest is: a deep secret. Share a story based on the topic.

A Deep Secret
Contest Winner


As a youth pastor of many years I have learned that, almost always, bullies have to carry the weight of secrets that are far worse than they are willing to show the world. The problem is that the world doesn't care enough to learn the secrets a bully suffers through. No... bullying is not right and must be dealt with properly. For me, though, dealing properly ALWAYS starts with caring enough to learn the secrets.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by lynnkah at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. GeraldShuler All rights reserved.
GeraldShuler has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.