Romance Fiction posted January 30, 2022 Chapters:  ...71 72 -73- 74... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Friday night football

A chapter in the book Football - A Novel

Football Chapter 44

by barbara.wilkey




Background
After Katherine's husband dies, she struggles raising her four sons by herself. Is Gabriel the father figure the boys never had and the husband she deserves?
Katherine and Gabriel have known each other for 54 days.

ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

Jeremy leaned into Katherine. "I'm never leaving your side."

Katherine kissed his forehead. "Honey, you have to go to bed and to school. I promise I'll wake you in the morning."

"You'll be at school."

"I'm going to be at home for a while. I'll get you up and eat breakfast with you."

"Who's going to take Jordan to practice?"

She tilted her head. "I hadn't thought about that."

Gabriel tapped her arm. "I'll still run so I'll stop by on my way back to the school and pick him up. Is that okay?" He grinned. "That gives me a chance to check on you."

"Thank you." She faced her youngest son. "Jeremy, you need to get upstairs."

"Will you read me a story?"

Standing Gabriel said, "Tonight I will."


TODAY'S POST:

Chapter 43

Friday afternoon, Katherine set her laptop on the dining room table. "Mom, have a seat. Gabriel's going to Zoom the pep rally. Watch it with me."

Gabriel started the rally by announcing the upcoming dates of the sporting events. When he came to the girls' cross country, he said, "As most of you already know, Coach Riley will be home for a few months. Her team wants to say hello."

He faced the computer toward the girls. The girls waved, shouted, and blew kisses.

Tears welled in Katherine's eyes. "I've only been out a few days. I already miss them."

When Gabriel turned the computer around, he winked and mouthed, "Katherine, I love you."

Katherine covered her mouth. "I don't think he should've done that."

After a pause, he yelled, "Go Bears!" This continued five times before he turned over the pep rally to the cheerleaders and the band.

Sarah smiled. "That's a man who loves you."

"I know." Katherine exhaled. "I don't know what I've done to deserve him."

Hugging her daughter, Sarah said, "My dear, he's just as lucky to have found you."

"I'm not sure."

"I'm positive. I know how wonderful you are."

"You're my mom. You're supposed to think that."

*****
As Katherine and Sarah prepared to listen to the football game, Sarah answered a knock on the door. "Rebecca, come in. We're getting ready to listen to Harold bring the game."

Rebecca held out a large box. "I brought snacks. I hope you don't mind me coming over."

Katherine hugged her. "I hope you don't mind kid interruptions during the game."

"Heaven's no!" She opened the box. "There are nachos, wings, loaded potato bites, party mix, and makings for sandwiches."

Sarah laughed. "There's no way we can eat all that."

"I know. Gabe mentioned the boys have a snack after the game, so I figured I'd make sure there was plenty. That way you don't have to worry."

Rebecca's eyes met Katherine's. "You're not going through this by yourself. Harold and I are here for you and the boys. Whatever you need, don't be afraid to ask. If you don't ask, we'll push our way in." She giggled. "Where do you think Gabe inherited it from?"

Tears welled in Katherine's eyes. "Thank you."

*****
During halftime, Harold announced that University of Texas head football coach, Tom Herman was in the stands.

Harold speculated, "I wonder if he's here to watch the Bears or the home team, Canyon Lake Hawks. Before the game I saw him shaking hands with Coach Hudson. Coach played for UT, but not for Coach Herman. Mack Brown was head coach back then. We've got some good seniors this year, but head coaches don't do recruiting. I can't wait to talk with Coach Hudson."

When the second half ended, the Bears retained their undefeated status.

*****
After the game, Katherine fell asleep on the couch.

A few hours later, Gabriel, Harold, and Jordan walked in. Jordan stared at his sleeping mom. "Is she all right?"

Sarah hugged him. "She's just tired."

Rebecca kissed her husband's cheek and then pointed to the table. "Help yourself. The young'uns have already eaten and are in bed."

Jeremy ran down the stairs and hugged Coach. "You won another game. We listened to it." He then hugged Harold. "I heard your voice over the TV but couldn't see you."

Katherine woke up. "Why aren't you asleep? I put you in bed over an hour ago."

"I wanted to say hi to Coach and Grandpa."

Harold gave Jeremy a squeeze. "How did you know I'd be here?"

Jeremy giggled. "Grandma told me." He glanced at his mom. "I know. Back to bed."

Grinning Harold said, "I think we all need to get together for a meal on a regular basis." He paused. "Like back in the old days. Maybe Sunday dinner."

Gabriel nodded. "I like that idea. I think it would be good for the boys."

Rebecca tilted her head. "I think we should meet here for Sunday dinner, so we won't upset the boys' routine. They'll already be here."

Sarah helped herself to some party mix. "That would work."

Putting her hand on Katherine's shoulder, Rebecca said, "Sarah and I can take care of the meal and clean up. You don't need to worry about anything. Just supply the house and the kids."

Katherine laughed. "That I can do."

Jeremy called from upstairs. "I like that idea."

"You need to get yourself in bed, now," called Katherine.

Gabriel set his plate down. "I got this." He went upstairs.

When he returned, Katherine noticed him and Harold off to the side talking. I wonder if that's about the UT coach. I'll ask Gabriel later.

After the kitchen was cleaned and everybody had left, Gabriel sat beside Katherine on the couch and kissed her. "I haven't had a chance to talk with you all day. How are you feeling?"

"Better than yesterday."

Sarah walked in and kissed Katherine's cheek. "If you don't need anything, I'm going to bed. I'll see you in the morning."

"Good night, Mom. I'm sure the boys and all things football wore you out."

"I'd forgotten how much fun it was. I've missed it." She kissed Gabriel's cheek. "Good night. I'm sure I'll see you tomorrow."

"You will. I'll be by to get Jordan and then return after practice. If you give me a grocery list, I'll take care of it right after practice."

Katherine rested her head against Gabriel's arm. "I missed you today."

He kissed her forehead. "And I missed you. When I get Jordan before practice, I'm coming inside at least to kiss you good morning, even if you're asleep. Is that okay?"

"It is."

"I think I'll start dropping by during my lunch break."

"Will you have time?"

"I'll make time." He squeezed her tighter. "It's important."

"I'd like that." Katherine hesitated. "During halftime your dad said the UT coach was at the game. He said you talked with him. Was it important?"

"I don't know. I had to get to the team. We basically shook hands and that was it. He said something about getting with me later."

She yawned. "Seems strange."

"It does. You're tired, and I need to get going. Would you like me to zoom part of the cross country meet with you?"

Katherine smiled. "Can you?"

Gabriel stood and offered his hand. After Katherine stood, he kissed her. "I can and I'll see you in the morning. Good night."

"Good night."


~~~~~~~~~
The large high schools televise the football games in Texas. At some of the smaller high schools, they have their own channel where they have the district highlights scrolling on the TV screen. Things like the school board meetings and sporting events, especially football games are announced but you cannot see the game only hear it.

I had a few questions about Katherine not telling her boys about the cancer earlier. I told all but one of my boys about my cancer from the beginning. My older boys were adults, my youngest was senior in high school. The son I didn't tell was deployed to Afghanistan. I felt he had enough to worry about. He found out when he returned. He was upset with me for keeping him in the dark. He didn't need to worry about his mom. Many women choose not to tell their children until they have all the information. I chose to go that way with this story because of the age of the children, especially Jermemy. I continued to work through chemo. This was a personal choice; most choose not to. That being said, I came home and went straight to bed. My guys took care of meals and household chores.
~~~~~~~~~~


CHARACTERS:

Katherine Riley: age 33 - widowed: husband died 6 months ago. She moved to Texas from NYC with her four sons. She teaches high school math and also coaches girls cross country.

Daisy: Katherine's yellow Labrador

Gabriel Hudson: High School football coach and former NFL defensive lineman

Reggie: a very large English Mastiff

Jeremy: Katherine's six year old son. He's in first grade.

Jordan: Katherine's fifteen year old son. He's a sophomore.

Joshua Katherine's thirteen year old son. He's in 8th grade

Joel Katherine's eleven year old son. He's in 6th grade.

Paul Edwards: High School principal and Gabriel's friend.

Rodney Frost: Math department head, at least for now.

Angie Brooks Math teacher and Katherine's friend.

Frank Collins Math teacher.

Rebecca and Harold Hudson Gabriel's parents

Sarah and Bob Beck Katherine's parents, Bob is deceased

Alan Green an Assistant Principal

Sandy Frost Rodney Frost's wife

Sam Auto repair shop owner

Bill Brooks Assistant football coach, Gabriel's friend, and Angie's husband.

Harold Hudson Gabriel's dad and football announcer.

Sandy Teenage girl on cross country team.

Judy Teenage girl on cross country team.

Rhonda Morgan Teenage girl on cross country team, and victim of dating violence.

Mr. and Mrs. Morgan Rhonda's parents.

Kenny Clark Teenager - Rhonda's boyfriend

Grace Former friend of Gabriel and featured in porn magazine

Janette & Jackson Riley Katherine's in-laws

Dr. Martin Jordan's doctor

Troy Elder Lawyer and friend of Gabriel from his pro-football days

UIL The University Interscholastic League exists to provide educational extracurricular academic, athletic, and music contests. The UIL was created by The University of Texas at Austin in 1910 and has grown into the largest inter-school org

Benjamin Weinberg Lawyer for George's mistress and baby

Gail Mitchel and her daughter, Jewel George's mistress and baby

Mr. Novak Riley's lawyer

Judge Ryan Washington Judge Troy asked to sit in the meeting.





Recognized


Thank you Google images for the photo of possible tailgate party foods. I also want to thank everybody for the helpful reviews. Again, thank you for catching those errors. There are 7 posts left after this one. Katherine and Gabriel still have some life issues to navigate. This novel is not actually about football but is part of the background. High football is a national pastime in Texas. This post is a little over 1000 words.

Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.