General Poetry posted January 26, 2022 Chapters: -1- 2... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A Poem about the loss of my Mom

A chapter in the book The Writings of a Mouse

I Cry

by Ramona Agin

I cry. .

I listen to Celine.

"I'm Everything I am Because of You." The words ring so true.

This has always been one of my songs to you.
.
I cry even harder.

Again torturing myself because I wasn't there for you. There when you needed me the most.

I was in denial. So many things had happened. I had chronic pain. I was addicted to pain medication.

I cry some more.

My marriage was in shambles I got divorced.

I cried harder.

I moved to Lisa's. A month later Lisa died.

I cried my heart out.

A month after Lisa died I came to see you.

Dad told me you were going to die. I didn't believe him. If you were going to die YOU would tell me.

I cried and I prayed.

You looked thin and weak. I told myself this was because you had been so sick. I told you to rest and get better.

I cried even more.

You kept looking for things to give me while I was there as if you would never see me again. I kept telling you to relax.

I cried my eyes out.

I watched you sleeping on the couch looking so thin and frail and

I cried more and more.

We made plans for me to come back in September for the Willow Tree Festival.

I couldn't cry anymore.

My two week visit went by so fast. I got ready to go. I prayed that night for your quick return to good health but...

I didn't cry.

We had coffee the next morning. I told you September would be here before we knew it. I told you I loved you and to rest and hurry up and get better.

I don't remember crying.

We said goodbye to each other at the front door. We hugged each other tight and told one another I love you.

As always we BOTH cried.

That was the last time I ever got to hold you in my arms and tell you how much I loved you.

I got the call five weeks later that you were dying. I didn't believe it. I asked the nurse she said you were holding your own. Good. I thought. That means she's fighting.

I didn't cry.

I went to you a day later. Afraid. I got there. Dad met me and told me not to...

cry in front of you.

I saw you. You looked awful. You were so swollen. You looked miserable.

I wanted to hold you and...

cry but I had to be brave for you.

I got to say hello. I love you Mom. Then you slipped into the darkness.Later that night...

I cried and I cried.

I wished that I could turn back the clock so I could be with you those last five weeks.

I cried fresh tears.

I prayed to God not to take you. That you were far too young and that we had so many more things left to do and say.

I cried and I pleaded.

I tried to remember our last phone conversation. Did I miss a cue? Why didn't YOU tell me.

I cried some more.

Exhausted. I finally fell asleep.

The next morning I went to the hospital. Despite my prayers, there was no change. You were in the darkness.

I cried inside.

You lingered in the twilight for another day and night and died in the wee hours of the morning.

You took your last breath at 3:59 am on September 6,2015.

My World has changed forever.

I haven't stopped crying.




Free Form Poetry Contest contest entry

Recognized


I am no poet. This is just written from the heart. My Mom was my best friend. Our birthdays are both in September one week apart. She died two days before her 74th birthday. We were only 18 years apart. We always celebrated our birthdays together.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by Renate-Bertodi at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Ramona Agin All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
Ramona Agin has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.