General Fiction posted January 25, 2022


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Sometimes it is hard to not draw wrong conclusions.

Zeb's Mighty Fine Bridge

by GeraldShuler


"Howdy, Zeb."

"Howdy, Doc."

"Everyone sure was glad to see that you made it back from New York. Did you have a nice trip?"

"S'pose so."

"Did anything unusual happen while you were there?"

"Nope. Nuthin' I didn't expect."

"That's good. I was noticing that you've been really busy building bridges since you got back. What is that you're buildin' there, Zeb? Is that another bridge?"

"Yep."

"Do you plan to keep that one in this field with the other three bridges you already built?"

"Yep. I figured it would be best to keep them close together."

"Did ya notice there ain't no water anywhere near the bridge?"

"Yep."

"Uh huh, I noticed that, too. Uh, Zeb, the town's been wondering... why you buildin' so many bridges where there ain't no water?"

"You know, Doc, you're the umpteenth person to ask why I'm buildin' bridges. Ain't the town got nuthin' else to talk about?"

"Not lately. You have pretty much been the talk of the town. Everyone agrees they look to be mighty fine bridges. Well, look who just pulled up... Sheriff Dooley. I'll just take my leave. Keep having fun building those bridges, Zeb. I'll see you later. Howdy Sheriff. Seems I was right... he's all yours."

"Howdy, Zeb."

"Howdy, Sheriff."

"Mighty fine lookin' bridge."

"So I've heard."

"How long are you gonna be buildin' bridges?"

"Hand me that piece of lumber by your feet. Just a few whacks of a hammer and now... I'm done."

"Zeb, you are a good friend to me and a lot of other people in town."

"Well, thanks, Sheriff. That's mighty kind words."

"I'm not here to be kind, Zeb. It's more of an official nature."

"Are you suggesting I have done something wrong, Sheriff?"

"No... no... nothing illegal. We've just been watching you build them bridges as if you been called by God like Noah or something. The town is really worried about what New York City has done to your mind. I'm here to get you some help from a proper head doctor. Are you willing to come with me without a fuss?"

"Sure, Sheriff, I'll go. But first, let me talk to these guys that just pulled up with flatbed semi-trucks."

"Hello, Mr. Callaway. Here is the check we agreed upon. We will start loading while you finish with the Sheriff."

"Thank you. I'll let you know when the next batch is finished. Well, Sheriff, do you still need me to come with you?"

"All this time you've been building bridges to sell? Who in the world buys bridges?"

"I went to New York to sign a contract with Central Park to build all of their bridges for the next ten years. I'll be building five new bridges each year, so I suppose the town will just have to keep right on talking about ole crazy Zeb and his bridges with no water."

"Now, Zeb, don't go getting touchy about this. You can see why people were wondering... right?"

"Sheriff, could you do something for me? Would you see to gettin' this check to Pastor Cory? This is my down payment check for the bridges I've already built. Tell him it's so he can buy new pews for the church."

"For pews? Pews won't cost that much for our small church."

"Tell the pastor 'Keep the change.' I'm movin' to New York so he's not likely to see me again. I got me a job buildin' bridges for Central Park."

"My word, Zeb. I don't see how we could have been so wrong about you."

"Don't worry about it, Sheriff, they got the most important part right. I build a mighty fine bridge."



Dialogue Only Writing Contest contest entry

Recognized


I want to apologize to New York City. It is NOT my belief that going there will drive you crazy.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by Lilibug6 at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. GeraldShuler All rights reserved.
GeraldShuler has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.