Mystery and Crime Fiction posted January 23, 2022 Chapters:  ...6 7 -8- 9... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Not the welcome home he expected...

A chapter in the book Vanished

Vanished - Chap 8

by Begin Again


Two Napa Valley tour buses unloaded in the parking lot next to the Sheriff's Department. The tours were a recent addition in Hayden and caught Garth's attention as he left the building. Prosperity and tourists were great, but it also meant more drug activity and other crimes. The sheriff had given Garth a lot to think about; many changes were happening in the small town.
 
As Garth strolled down the sidewalk, he casually scrutinized the people as they gathered in groups. A few silent alarms were ringing inside his brain, a hazard in the FBI business. He was always preparing for each day to be hiding something—maybe big, maybe small, but something.
 
Two men in cowboy hats and dusty boots leaned against the tour bus, and four more mingled among the other passengers. The tourists dressed in their Sunday best or lovely summer attire, making small talk with their newly assigned guides. The men were misfits among the crowd to Garth, and he wanted a closer look.
 
Under the shade of a nearby awning, a young girl distributed tour pamphlets and brochures listing "Things To Do" in Napa Valley. She smiled and handed one of her leaflets to Garth as he strolled past her. He nodded a thank you and glanced at the folder with its colorful pictures and scenic views. Hayden was no longer a sleepy California town. It was now known as the wine country, and everyone wanted in on the flourishing development.
 
They set a few tent shops up along the building, offering everything from homemade jewelry to cool drinks. Garth stopped for a lemonade, waited for his change, and people watched. As his eyes roamed the crowd, he noticed another man near the back of the buses. The man's clothing drew attention, but his demeanor demanded it. He wore a black tailcoat and red paisley vest. His black Spanish dress hat was tipped forward and hid his face from view. At his side, a man resembling a Clint Eastwood look-a-like chewed on the end of a cheroot while his eyes penetrated the crowd.
 
Within moments, the six cowboys joined them. Their voices couldn't be heard, but the man's rapid hand movements showed his anger. They separated in different directions after a short one-sided conversation, disappearing into the bustling crowd.
 
Intent on learning more about this stranger, Garth crossed the street and walked in the same direction, stopping now and then at a booth. He didn't know if it was residue left over from his last visit to Hayden or the stranger himself, but Garth had a nagging feeling about the change in the town and the man.
 
Stewing over all the changes he'd encountered, and it was only morning, Garth failed to see the young woman exiting the store and walked directly into her path, sending her and the bag of groceries to the sidewalk.
 
"Estupido gringo." The young woman scrambled to her feet, muttering under her breath. Her dark eyes snapped with anger as she turned to face her clumsy assailant but filled with fear when she recognized him. "Forgive me, Senor."
 
While sputtering his apologies, Garth bent to retrieve the ripped grocery bag, "No! No! I bumped into you. Please, let me help."
 
Her raven black hair spilled across her face as she yanked her jacket off and formed a bag, stuffing her groceries in it. "Senor, stop. I can do it. Go!" She tilted her head to see across the street and then resumed grabbing the few remaining cans. "You must go! Now!"
 
"I'm a blundering idiot. Let me help you." As Garth tried to apologize, her terrified eyes registered a more profound message. He handed her a stray orange and moved backward, out of view from the people across the street. "Are you in trouble? I can help."
 
"No. Senor. It is you who needs help." Her eyes shifted sideways for a second, then met his, before mumbling, "I must go," before she hurried down the narrow alley between the buildings.
 
Garth looked up and down the sidewalk as he wondered who or what the young woman had been afraid of when he tried to help. The two men on the church steps caught Garth's immediate attention. He recognized the humble robes of Hayden's new priest, and, of course, the tailcoat and red paisley vest suggested he'd seen the stranger for the second time this morning. Could she have been afraid of one of them?
 
Garth wanted to meet both men and now seemed like a good time.
 
He moved to the edge of the walkway, intending on crossing the street when he heard his name and turned. A woman hovered in the doorway with a black lace mantilla shading her face. He could not see her clearly, so he stepped closer to the store.
 
"I'm sorry. Did you call me?" He still could not recognize the woman.
 
She brushed the mantilla aside, exposing the bruises covering her tan, withered face. Her eyes met his as she spoke. "Senor Woodman."
 
Garth was stunned. "Sofia?"  
 
Standing in the doorway was the woman responsible for ending a string of crimes in Napa Valley and putting her son, Miguel, in prison. She'd turned on Mason Caldwell, her long-time employer and one of the most prominent drug distributors in the region, knowing the consequences but praying to save a child's life. Prison life and returning to society didn't appear to have been kind to the woman.
 
Sofia Sanchez replaced the mantilla and whispered as she stepped outside. "My son is worried about you." Their eyes met before she hurried down the narrow passageway and disappeared. In less than five minutes, he'd been warned twice that his life was in danger, not quite the welcome home he expected.
 
*********************
 
Annie knelt near her grandmother's grave with her knees tucked under her. She held the book open turned to the page she'd been reading last night. Also, she put the shirt Sebastian had carried back to her across the grass.
 
"Grandma, I know I'm a kid, but explain to me how it can be a coincidence that the shirt in the book is the same as the one Sebastian found earlier." She picked up the note. "And somebody wrote a note saying they wouldn't hurt me. Now, that makes me shiver."
 
Annie turned as if to question Sebastian about the shirt, and he had slipped off again. She yelled, "Sebastian," and then, irritated, spoke to her grandmother. "Darn it, Grandma. That crazy dog is gone again." She stood and called, "Sebastian."
 
This time she heard him bark, and he lumbered toward her from the side of the house. "Sebastian quit scaring me. What are you doing?"
 
The dog barked and retreated to the side of the house. Annie took a few steps toward the house and stopped. Her childish voice quivered, "Sebastian—come—here. You're—scaring me." She didn't see or hear him. "Sebastian. Come—here."
 
The St. Bernard cleared the corner of the house and barked. He turned his head to look behind him and barked at Annie again.
 
"Come here, Sebastian." Her usually obedient pup just stood there, looking at her and turning to look behind him. "Come here, boy. I don't like your new game. It's time for us to go home."
 
Sebastian started barking rapidly. He raced behind the house and then back again, and then Annie saw her, the legend. The lady in white stood in the clearing. The soft breeze blew her long black hair across her face as she extended her hand to quiet Sebastian. As she spoke, her voice was soothing. "I'm not here to hurt you, Annie. I'm here to help."
 
"Are—are you—" Annie didn't know whether to run, but she knew her feet felt cemented to the ground.
 
"A ghost? Not to you—" The woman paused before adding, "but I need everyone to believe I am."
 
"I don't understand. People say you are a legend. Some say a murderer. Are you—what they say?"
 
"I can't explain right now, but please know I will never hurt you or Sebastian."
 
Sebastian licked the young woman's hand, easing Annie's mind. If her dog liked her, she must be okay. "Do you have a name?"
 
"Yes, but for your safety, I will be an angel. A spirit, I guess. Is that okay, Annie?"
 
"Angel. That's pretty. You look like an angel, especially at night."
 
"Thank you. I am sorry if I scared you, but I needed to be sure you and Sebastian would trust me. Do you understand?"
 
"If Sebastian trusts you, then I do, too." Annie nodded and smiled. Sebastian left the young woman's side and lumbered back to Annie.
 
"You must tell no one that we talked. Many lives will be in danger. Do you understand?" She held out her hand toward Annie. "Please don't be afraid. I must warn your cowboy that his life and many others will be in great danger. But now I must go." She turned and walked away, stopping at the edge of the tall weeds to wave.
 
Annie rushed forward and stopped. "I'll tell Garth, but will he be okay?"
 
"Only time will tell." and then she disappeared.

 



Recognized


Garth Woodman, FBI Agent and Allie's love interest
Alyssa Shelton, Investigative Journalist and Liz's best friend
Elizabeth (Liz) McKinley, widow, owner of Sweet Haven and twin sister to Faith
Faith Cranston-Newton, recovering cancer patient and mother to Annie
Annie Cranston-Newton, Faith's precocious young daughter
Sebastian, a St. Bernard and Annie's sidekick
Mary Hunter, Liz and Faith's deceased mother and Annie's grandmother
Hank and Emmy Armato, retired detectives and current Private Investigators
Tango and Poppa, Garth's top FBI Agents
Sheriff Diego Ortiz, Napa Valley's law enforcement
Cassidy Rotello, rescued victim of a solved drug crime and friend
Michael Lansing, neighbor to Sweet Haven Winery (Liz's home)
Darryl Pennington, Long time Estate Forman at Sweet Haven Estates
Miguel Sanchez, the former vineyard supervisor, currently residing in jail
Mason Caldwell, recently deceased drug and crime boss in Napa Valley
Father Tobias, a priest, recently assigned to Hayden's notorious church
Barrett O'Brien, an eager newly hired employee at Sweet Haven Estates
MJ Cichella, Writer and Director and honored guest for Napa Valley's first film festival
Sandra Pepper, a well-to-do woman new in town, aka Samantha FBI


I am currently struggling with this particular storyline and would appreciate any comments or suggestions you as the reader might offer. Thank you for taking the time to read and review. I appreciate it very much.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Begin Again All rights reserved.
Begin Again has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.