General Fiction posted January 21, 2022


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
I had travelled into the future

I woke up as someone else

by Joanne Gill-Maddick


I woke up one morning after a very troublesome and sleepless night. As I approached the mirror I couldn't believe the image that was looking back at me. I blinked several times and thought I must be dreaming. I woke up as someone else. The lady in the mirror wasn't me. I hesitantly touched my hair it was silver grey. I folded my hands together to reveal aged old wrinkles. I touched my aging face rubbing my fingers over my skin to make sure what I was seeing was real. My eyes were failing me I couldn't see that well.


As I got up to walk I realized how feeble I was and needed a walker to get around. I thought to myself:where did my life go? I was aghast at what had happened. After much contemplating I realized I still had my husband, my grandchildren were grown. I had great grandchildren. I had somehow ended up into the future. My sons were the age I am now.

I was a frail old lady in her 80's who was sitting and rocking great-grandchildren. How could this have happened. I go to bed one night and wake up the next morning as an old lady. I'm sitting in my living room telling stories to my great grandchildren about the big-snowstorm snowmageddon of 2020 and the pandemic that lasted for many years. A pandemic that had changed the course of the world. After a very entertaining day of storytelling with my great grandchildren it was time to turn in for the night.

I went to bed rehashing the events of the day. I woke up the next morning to a beautiful sun rise. I approached the mirror once again and to my astonishment I was young again. I had travelled into the future and saw and shared special moments with my great grandchildren and saw myself and my husband as an elderly couple with lots of knowledge and wisdom to share about events that happened in our lifetime.

 



Someone Else writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
You (or your character) wakes up and are someone different.


Life is literally like that one day you will wake up and wonder where the time has gone. So do the things you love with the people you love. Take nothing for granted because one day you will be that old lady or man with wrinkles and feel that life has passed you by. Thatâ??s if we are fortunate enough to live to be old and do it gracefully.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Joanne Gill-Maddick All rights reserved.
Joanne Gill-Maddick has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.