General Fiction posted January 18, 2022


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
creative, but...

The Bird Nest

by pome lover


As children, my little sister and I, to our mother’s delight, had soft, curly hair. It was getting close to Easter, and one day Mom left to run an errand. We were given strict instructions to behave ourselves. Aunt Sissy was in her room, resting, and we weren’t to bother her.

My sister had just had a birthday and there’d been these cute little wooden birds on her birthday cake. They had wire legs and a hole in their backs for birthday candles.  We got them out of the drawer to play with and decided that they needed a nest.

I remember we looked all around for something to use, but came up empty. Then, apparently, I got the bright idea of using our hair. As I was the oldest, I think I was five and my sister was three, I was the “cutter.”

I cut off my little sister’s beautiful curls.  We made a nest but it was kind of skimpy, so I started on my hair. I’d cut one side and was about to start on the other when in walked Mom.

She was carrying two bags and she had this big smile on her face for about a millisecond. Her incredulity morphed rather quickly into anger, if I remember correctly. Of course, it was obvious my sister was too young to have done the dirty deed, although I think I rather cowardly tried to include her in the blame, so I got the spanking.

Later, with a resigned look, Mom opened the two bags and brought out two precious Easter bonnets that would have framed our curls.

Later, she had to even up my hair which left me looking like my sister – practically bald. Poor Mom. We looked lost in those bonnets. Not exactly how she thought we’d look.

But it would’ve been a super bird nest.
 




~ Family Story ~ (fiction) writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
~ Family Story ~ (fiction)
Write a fiction story ~Read all rules!
400 word maximum
No vulgar words, sexual terms, murder, ghosts, or profanity allowed
No references to any political figures, past or present, such as same names or political parties/ideas such as Marxism--no warnings allowed
Story is to be about humans
No Christmas stories or adoption/birth of children, or a human in the hospital/hospice care with little time left to live
No writing, animation, music included with one picture allowed
Black font only

Recognized


310 words
fiction
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. pome lover All rights reserved.
pome lover has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.