Biographical Non-Fiction posted January 18, 2022


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Best Day Ever

It was always a cat

by Terry Broxson


Zoe and I were married for forty-four years. We never had kids. We had cats. That is how we met while living in an apartment complex in Houston, Texas. Her cat, Holly Golightly, got on my balcony one afternoon and couldn't or wouldn't get off.

When I came home from work, there was a note on my front door. "Hi, my name is Zoe; I live across the way, my cat is on your balcony, and I can't get her off. I am about to leave town. Please take care of my cat for the weekend. Here is my phone number." I did look on the balcony. There was one pissed-off Siamese cat out there.

I should tell you I had noticed this attractive woman across the way. But I had not worked up any courage to try actually to meet her. But I now had her name and number and a perfect excuse to call. So, I did. She had not left town yet. She came and got the cat. She thanked me; said I should call when she got back in town. I did. Over the next forty-four years, we had seven cats.

A couple of Zoe's friends accused her of tossing her cat on my balcony. She denied it. Holly Golightly refused to testify.

I gave you all this background because it is important to understand the best day ever. I can look back on my life and think of many memorable days. But the best day ever?  Well, that isn't easy to choose.

So, I thought about Zoe. She was a cat person; if reincarnation is possible, she might have been a cat reincarnated as a person.

In 1980, we had been married for six years and living in Dallas. A local animal theme park had two Bengal tiger cubs born. One of Zoe's friends knew the administrator of the facility. Zoe told her friend that she could not wait to see those two cubs.

A couple of weeks later, the friend called and said, "Let's go see the babies." This was not a visit open to the public. Zoe got to go into the cages and hold and pet both little cats. Fortunately, momma was in another room.

She had this picture blown up to the size of a poster. She smiled at the photo and said, "My best day ever!"



Recognized
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Terry Broxson All rights reserved.
Terry Broxson has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.