General Fiction posted January 9, 2022


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Romance was in the air. But, would it stay?

NYC Marathon

by Jerome Goldberg


I will always remember the NY Marathon.

It was a beautiful Sunday morning, and I was about to go on a blind date with an allegedly beautiful woman in a red dress at Noon.

I was very happy and slowly enjoyed my Bagel and Expresso while I watched those hale and hearty NYC Marathon runners scurry down First Avenue. Then I dressed in one of my best casual outfits and went to meet her. I had told her what I would be wearing, and she had said that she would be in a red dress.

She was not there!

I waited and waited. I checked my watch, 12:30. OK! That was it I was leaving. As I walked back to my apartment, mumbling angry thoughts, I noticed a clock in a store window. It said: 11:55.

Oops! This was, November 7, the day we were supposed to set our clocks back to EST. I was an hour early.
I turned and dashed back to the restaurant. I got there at 12:20 EST. The waiter told me that an attractive young woman in a red dress had waited about fifteen minutes and left in an obvious huff.
I turned and dashed down Madison Avenue like a mad man. Up ahead I saw an attractive young woman in a red dress. I ran past her, stopped and turned toward her and saw a look of fear in her eyes. I was out of breath and looked like an escapee from a lunatic asylum. I wanted to reassure her; but, all that came out of my mouth was, "Hi I'm Bill."

She looked at me and smiled and then said. "Qui monsieur Bill, I regret that I have not had the pleasure of meeting you."

WOW! She is French, gorgeous and not thoroughly disgusted with me. However, she is obviously not who I was supposed to meet. But don't argue with Kismet!

As I started to catch my breath, pat down my hair and explain the situation in my fracture high school French, she began to laugh. In fact, she laughed so hard and so loud that I was both embarrassed and humiliated.

Finally, she quieted down and said in perfect English, "Bill, Bob, who arranged this blind date, showed me a picture. I know who you are, and this has been far more fun than a big lunch in a stuffy restaurant. Let's just go for a walk in Central Park.

She was not French; but she is gorgeous and fun.

I will always remember the NY Marathon.



Unexpected Romance writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
The topic for this contest is: Unexpected Romance. For poetry or prose. The story brings two people together, two people who don't necessarily realize that they belong together but the audience is rooting for them.


In real life these two might never have met or if they did, they might have started out with an argument. It is nice that fiction and fate can sometimes make everything work out. Thanks for reading and hope you enjoyed it.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Jerome Goldberg All rights reserved.
Jerome Goldberg has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.