Writing Fiction posted January 9, 2022


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
George Washington witnessing an insurrection at the capitol.

A Shameful Day

by HarryT

What if George Washington returned? Contest Winner 

It was a chilly day near the Capitol on January 6, 2021, when George Washington appeared near the seat of the United States government. A volley of violence was taking place as people were brutally fighting with police and breeching their defense of the sanctuary of American democracy. Accompanying George was James Madison.

George said, “For heaven's sake, James, nothing as shameful as this has happened since the British burned the White House. Thankfully, your wife, Dolley, saved my portrait.”  

“Yes, sir, a strong woman is Dolley. She ordered your portrait cut from the frame and carried to safety through the flames.”
“Please thank her for me. I stood a long time for Gilbert Stuart and he captured, pardoned the term, a most regal appearance, don't you think?”

“Why yes, sir. But, sir," James said, "this violent debacle taking place is far worse than the British. These are American citizens storming our government, our most valued bastion of freedom and liberty. Unlike you and me and every president after us. A president defeated in a fair and free election refused to concede that he lost. And to make matters worse, he told a big lie that the election was stolen.”

George turned to James, a dazed look of bewilderment in his eyes. “How could this happen with the Constitution we developed and the precedent for the peaceful transition of power by every president after me. You mean to say, this one refused?

“Yes, sir,” James said, “He claims the other party stole the election and the country from his very fine people and ‘they must fight like hell to get it back.’”

“My God, the county we built is in grave danger. They must hold those who caused the dastardly occasion accountable. James, you know I have said before truth will ultimately prevail where pains are taken to bring it to light.”

“There are people,” James said, “who will seek justice, but there is a party who refuses to accept the truth and continues to look to the defeated president for leadership because they fear the vote of his minions. These diluted accomplices have continued to broadcase the big lie and as a result have caused this violent insurrection. A strong case for the dissertation of courage and in favor of their own political ambition is clear for all who love the truth.

“Well,” George said, "hopefully those who love the truth will win out in the end and the country for which we laid the foundation will have weathered this unfortunate storm.”

“I certainly hope you are correct for the sake of the country we sought to leave for our posterity,” James said.
 

 



What if George Washington returned?
Contest Winner
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. HarryT All rights reserved.
HarryT has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.