General Fiction posted January 5, 2022


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
an old codger

Rosco

by pome lover


An old married couple stands in line at the post office.

Rosco lifts one foot and shakes it, then the other. "Dern it, Mona, one foot hurts and the other one's goin' to sleep. I'm tired of waiting in line!"

His wife smiles, patiently, as a young man in front of them turns around and looks at Rosco.
"Well, that's what the post office is for," she says, winking at the young man.

Rosco frowns. "What? Waitin' in line?"

"Yes. Makes you humble."

"I don't want to be humble. My brother's the humble one. Soft. Wussy."

"It wouldn't hurt if you had a little humility," she said, squinting at the young man. Then she added, "You shoulda kept up with your brother."

Rosco squints at him, too. "Buddy, unless you want to walk on my feet and eat stuff that civilized humans shouldn't eat, and by that I mean brussel sprouts and calves' liver (shudder) you better turn around and mind your own business."

The young man suddenly bursts out laughing. "Uncle Rosco? I thought that sounded like you! Don't you remember me? Hi, Aunt Mona. He's still at it, I see."

Mona finally crashes through. It's their nephew, Rosco's brother's boy, the one who won Publisher's Clearing House! She laughs, a bit uncertainly. "Ben, is that you? Speak of the devil- just kiddin'. You're all grown up!"

"Yes ma'am. It's me. How yall doin'?'

"Not as good as you," grumbled Rosco. "You a multimillionaire now? How's your old man? Sittin' on easy street?"

Ben looked down. "You haven't talked to Dad, lately, have you? I believe you two had a bet on something."

"Yeah. He won the bet, plus all that money, and he expects me to pay him $50? Fat chance. The old coot always was a selfish tightwad, even as a kid. Wouldn't share for nothin'. Stin-gy!"

Ben looked at his uncle. "Maybe you should've paid up, Uncle Rosco. Before Dad had a stroke, he said if you paid him what you owed him, he'd share half his winnings with you."

Rosco turned pale. "He did?"

"Yeah. But you didn't."




Memories Of Youth writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Write a story about a character who reminisces about the past. It can be good or bad, happy or sad, etc. Word count is 200 - 700 words.


this is a fictitious remembrance.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. pome lover All rights reserved.
pome lover has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.