General Non-Fiction posted January 4, 2022


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Big deal

Hair today ...

by Wendy G


Daughter Rebecca has only once had short hair, as a child. It's always been long, sometimes very long.

Granddaughter Ellie is seven. She has had only one haircut. Her hair reaches nearly to her waist. They both have beautiful hair which can be worn in many different styles.

It was a delight to brush my daughter's hair when she was small, and an equal delight to do the same for little Ellie. We often play "Hairdresser" when she comes to visit.

Imagine then my shock to receive a message telling me they were both going to get their hair cut. Fairly short. Before Christmas. I was stunned. Why? Had they thought this through?

I read further. Would I sponsor them to have their hair cut to raise money for the Cancer Council? As well as raising funds, their hair would be donated to be made into wigs for children and young women suffering from hair loss due to chemotherapy.

When Ellie heard that her mother was planning to do this, she immediately volunteered to do the same. Her own choice. No pressure. Her decision was made. She is a caring and compassionate child, and a brave one.

Two of Rebecca's best friends died from cancer three years ago, leaving between them seven young children without mothers. Because of cancer, her son's best friend is also motherless. Two other friends had lost their fourteen-year- old daughters. Ellie knew all these people too. They were very real to her.

My friend's twenty-year-old daughter wears a wig in place of her own lustrous long hair, now gone.  It's not quite as good as her own, but sufficient to spare her embarrassment when she needs to go for her cancer treatments.

We have lost count of how many we know, family and others, who have passed away from this insidious disease.

Life can be cruel and hard. Knowing someone cares enough to sacrifice their own hair – that's a small light of encouragement. Maybe a bright light.

Bravo, Rebecca and Ellie. I am so proud of you both. Donating your beautiful hair - it is a big deal!
 

 



~ Family Story ~ (true) writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
READ ALL RULES!!!
No vulgar words, sexual terms, murder, or profanity allowed--no warnings
MUST be about a HUMAN family/told from any POV
Minimum of 340 and maximum of 360 words
No writing on the ONE picture that's allowed /No animation with picture or music
One color of font only

Recognized


So now the deed is done, and their hair has been sent away. They raised more than $1000 for the Cancer Council. Neither has any regrets.

(354 words)
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Wendy G All rights reserved.
Wendy G has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.