General Fiction posted December 27, 2021


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Imagining America without cars is unthinkable.

Top Down Gettin' Round

by Reese Turner


My grandfather's pride and joy; a red Volkswagon Beetle convertible. He loved it. To him, it was more than a car, it was a symbol of his freedom. He'd laugh, 'I had a Volkswagen in the sixties and now I have a Volkswagen in my sixties!"

He said, "For Americans, cars are freedom personified. Go where you want to, when you want to, without asking permission or showing your ID or waiting in a terminal. With him, "top down gettin' round" was his way of showing the world his free spirit. But, he also loved that big motorhome. He called it his "condo on wheels". He and my grandmother camped in national and state parks, RV parks, even vineyards where they could overnight for free when buying wine = "what a life!"

Streets are essentially vacant now. Not many people going to shop. Not much on the shelves now that the use of trucks is so limited. No fresh meat. Without fossil fuels for power to produce and distribute, very little is being produced or stocked. Unemployed, few people have much money to spend, anyway.

Since there is no fuel for cars, almost nobody travels, so hotels and motels across America have become public housing for indigent and immigrants. At least the flow of immigrants has nearly stopped as things are no better here than where they are.

My grandfather warned us of what was to come - twenty years ago! He warned us that "the cancer of liberalism is metastasizing in America. Only the elites will live well. The rest of us will all be equal, at the bottom." We were too busy with our toys, our computers, our immediate gratification and our willingness to let government take care of our every need - as they defined them." We lost freedom.



Car archive writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Write a story/fiction/(beg/mid/end) 300 words set in 2040 or thereabouts when the motor car will have left our streets and will only exist as a museum item. Choose your own title.


My WORD word count says 301. Not sure how yours says 318, but I hope the committee will accept my work. The writing might be fiction, but the attack on our freedom is very, very real. Take it seriously, my friends!
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Reese Turner All rights reserved.
Reese Turner has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.