General Fiction posted December 26, 2021 Chapters:  ...23 24 -25- 26... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
And a little story.

A chapter in the book Idioms Explained

Three More Fun Idioms

by Sandra Stoner-Mitchell











A Fish Out Of Water; Most of us know what this idiom means, to be in a situation that is neither comfortable nor familiar. In fact, you wish you weren’t there. But I was surprised to find the first time this was mentioned was in 1387 by Geoffrey Chaucer in his collection of stories, The Canterbury Tales, with… ‘… a monk, when he is cloisterless, is like to a fish that is waterless….’ 

                                                                

I was gobsmacked that I used to watch the Canterbury Tales series each week, the stories that were written hundreds of years ago! Wouldn't it be nice if our work was being read or seen on the screen in 800 years time? 

Storm in a teacup; The meaning of this idiom is when someone throws a tantrum over something small or insignificant. Again, another surprise, according to Google; I discovered the origins to this one probably dates as far back as 52 BC, with Cicero’s De Legibus which contains the Latin phrase “Excitabat fluctus in simpulo”, meaning the same as our modern day “storm in a teacup” or the American version “tempest in a teapot”. Now, please don't forget to social distance as you all rush out to the book shop to buy a copy of Cicero's book!!

                                                                        

‘Spend a penny’ The first modern pay lavatories appeared in London on the 2nd of February 1852. These were for the use of men only, as women were deemed too sensitive to use a public toilet. It was actually a ploy to stop women going too far from home, thus keeping us girls where the men wanted us, at home! But it only lasted nine days before they were forced to have them for women as well. It cost 1d, (one penny) to be inserted into the lock before a lady could use them. This led to the saying, I need to spend a penny, which is still used today even though the old ‘penny’ ceased to exist in August 1971.

                                          

                                                                    

Now here’s a little story! 


My husband, Graham, has loads of stories about historical places that aren’t generally known, at least, they aren’t told in the history classes at school. I didn’t know this one but I did Google it to see if it actually happened. It did. 

Up in the Lake District in England, there is a 400-year-old whitewashed Inn. Its name is ‘The Drunken Duck Inn’ and this is the story that lies behind the name.  

Back in the 1800s, the landlady of the Inn was called outside and was dismayed to find her ducks all laid out in the road. Thinking they’d all died, she brought them inside and plucked them. She’d almost finished the last one when they started to move and she realised her mistake. She later discovered a beer leak had contaminated their feed. The ducks had enjoyed their feast and had passed out in a drunken stupor! So, full of remorse, the landlady knitted them all a nice warm jumper!

                                                                                           

 

I knew you’d love this one!! Lol.

I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas, and will have the best New Year!




Recognized

#9
December
2021


Thank you for all your amazing support over the years. I've met some wonderful people on FS, and I appreciate each and everyone of you, it's been a privilege getting to know you. I will be starting my new novel next week... The Return. :)) xxx
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Multi-Author Book
Add Chapter
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Sandra Stoner-Mitchell All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
Sandra Stoner-Mitchell has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.