Children Flash Fiction posted December 24, 2021


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
My fun story for kids with lots of phonics and phonemes.

A Rainy Day in May

by GollyGreen32


Fay looked out the window while she hugged her fluffy pillow. She wanted to see her friend and say hi, but the rain poured from the sky. The rain made this May day very gray. What to do?

With her mind made up, Fay took her umbrella and boots from the closet. “I want to sleep when it rains,” she said. “It’s a time for me to rest my brain, but I’m going to see Gail if it rains or hails.” Fay pulled on her boots, walked outside, and put up her umbrella. On it, there was Belle, Snow White, and Cinderella.

Fay’s mom grew all kinds of flowers in the flower bed.

“Daisies are just right for Gail,” Fay said as she looked at the flower bed full of whites, yellows, blues, and reds. She picked six daisies for Gail. Her mom wouldn’t mind. She always said to be nice and kind.

Fay and Gail were friends from school. Gail lived on the next block. Last week she fell by the pool and broke her leg.

Now Gail sat at home with her broken leg propped on a stool. Crutches lay against Gail’s chair. Fay gave the daisies to Gail.

“Thank you,” Gail said. “All this sitting makes me crazy, and when I walk, I move like a snail.”

They played a game of checkers.

“You’re the nicest friend ever,” Gail said. She won the game because she used her brain.

Gail’s mother made ham sandwiches for lunch.

Fay gave a sandwich to Gail on a tray. “Does this make you smile too?”

“Yes,” Gail said, “and say woo hoo!”

They laughed. Fay ate lunch with her. Then they pet her black cat, Midnight. It made him purr.

Soon, Fay had to go.

“Thanks for visiting me,” Gail said. “When my leg heals, want to play in my treehouse? It’s pink, along with my stuffed mouse that I call Wowser.”

“Sure,” Fay said. “You want me to come back again?”

“Yes,” Gail said, “and I hope it doesn’t rain.”

Gail watched out the window as Fay left.

Fay waved goodbye.

Gail waved back. “I had a fine day,” Gail said to her mom. “Fay made it not so gray. Hopefully soon, she’ll be waving hi under a clear sky.”

When Fay got home, her mother was there.

“Where did you go, Fay? I said to stay here,” Fay’s mom said.

“I know, Mom, but I went and saw Gail and gave her some daisies. She was going crazy. You always say to be nice and kind, so I thought you wouldn’t mind,” Fay said.

“I don’t mind,” her mom said, “but you should have let me know that you went to visit Gail. This afternoon, we need to visit your Uncle Dale.”

“I know, Mom, and I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to make you worry. Next time, I won’t leave in such a hurry.”

Fay and her mother hugged each other, and the rain still fell in big gushers.
 
 



Phonics and Phonemes Challenge contest entry


I enjoyed writing this story. I never thought that I would like to write children's stories, but I do. Don't get me wrong, it's difficult to write for children and also fun and thought-provoking at the same time.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. GollyGreen32 All rights reserved.
GollyGreen32 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.