Supernatural Fiction posted December 19, 2021


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The path to becoming heroes was easy - talk to a ghost.

Smokey and the Smiling Ghost

by Michael Jefferson

Ghost Story Contest Winner 
Brenda Dykeman died a horrible death when she was twelve years old, but she never really left us because we saw her ghost every night.

Brenda was one of the happiest kids I ever knew, a tomboy with bobbed brunette hair, freckles, and a radiant smile. Her favorite color was green, and she always wore some shade of it. She loved to play games, it didn't matter if it was baseball, kickball, tag, or jacks.

She also liked to stick her head out the backseat window to enjoy the breeze. One morning, her dad was driving her to school thinking about the important meeting he was missing. He swerved around a stalled car, nearly riding up on the sidewalk.

Brenda was looking the other way and never saw the telephone pole that tore her head off.

Brenda had an unfulfilled crush on my best friend, Freddie Hansen. Girls were already swooning over Freddie's dreamy eyes, silky black hair, and brooding personality.

Freddie's only drawback was his size. All the guys seemed to be experiencing a growth spurt â?" I was already 5' 8", but Freddie was still a squirt, making him fair game for Kyle Dragic, the class bully. Brenda and Freddie met on the lunch line when Kyle started pushing and insulting Freddie. Kyle took his cruelty one step too far, stealing Freddie's lunch.

Brenda saw what was happening and rushed to Freddie's aid. Tearing the tray from Kyle, she poured the day's Sloppy Joe Special over Kyle's head, warning him that if he so much as looked at Freddie the wrong way again he was going to suffer the embarrassment of having his butt kicked by a girl.

My crush was Brenda's best friend, Rendell Rousseau, a blonde-haired beauty with sparkling blue eyes, a buttery southern drawl, and a budding body. She wasn't as impressed with me as I was with her, but that didn't stop me from trying.

Brenda's parents, particularly her father, were devastated by her death. He never forgave himself, climbing into a bottle, while his soon-to-be ex-wife was comforted by his brother. Brenda was buried in Oakwood Cemetery, which happened to be across the street from Freddie's house.

It wasn't long after Brenda's funeral that kids started saying they'd seen her ghost in the cemetery. Freddie and I saw it one night too, from a safe distance near the gate. It wasn't lost on us that the only part of Brenda that anyone saw was her smiling, freckled face illuminated by a pale green light.

Most of the kids were too scared to try and find out why Brenda had chosen to haunt us. A couple of guys who thought they were tough tried to get to Brenda's grave, but they ran away screaming when Smokey confronted them. Smokey was the cemetery's German Shepard guard dog. He belonged to Conrad Bellinger, the fat, frowning caretaker. Bellinger didn't like people, especially kids. The way he trained Smokey led us to believe he didn't like dogs much either. He kept Smokey tied to a thick metal chain during the day, letting him roam freely at night through the cemetery to kill squirrels, cats, and anything else with a pulse he could sink his teeth into.

We all thought that Smokey was more human than dog. Most dogs avoided eye contact with people. Smokey dared you to look him in the eye - and when you did, you were the one who turned away.

Smokey's most unnerving trait was that he never barked. Instead, he had a low, sustained bear-like growl that left no doubt he intended to harm you. During the day, when he was chained up near the Bellinger's cottage, he'd sit in the dirt outside of a doghouse that was too small for him, snarling at anyone who got too close. If you were cocky or stupid and moved closer, Smokey would stand up, grumbling as he stalked you. Having been held captive for a dozen years, Smokey knew the exact length of his chain and would stop before it choked him. Then he'd lock eyes with you, daring you to come closer.

Frankie Cincinnati thought he was brave enough to face Smokey. Frankie was a fast talker and a peerless liar but sometimes he believed too much of his own bull. He needed both skills the day Smokey stood on his hind legs, put his paws on Frankie's shoulders, and leaned forward until his sharp teeth were inches away from Frankie's face.

Smokey licked his chops ravenously. His steamy, hellish breath made Frankie wilt.

Frankie begged Smokey not to kill him. "It was a joke," he said, "I didn't mean to disrespect you. I know what it's like to be mistreated, to be beaten and told you're no good."

Frankie knew nothing of the sort. He came from a good family who treated their only son as if he had a hotline to the Vatican.

Frankie and Smokey stood staring at each other. The only sound we could hear was Frankie whimpering as he peed his pants. Then Smokey snapped at him. Frankie fell backward in the dirt as Smokey reverted to all fours.

Frankie saw his chance to escape. Rolling in the dirt, he sprung to his feet.

Frankie was still in Smokey's range, but Smokey didn't strike, allowing Frankie to scamper away. For a moment I thought I saw empathy in Smokey's bloodshot eyes.

Freddie and I often joked that someday, we'd do better than Frankie, we'd be the heroes who faced Brenda's ghost.

Kyle heard us bragging. "You two wimps don't have the guts go to into the cemetery at night, and there's no way you're gettin' by Smokey."

I knew Freddie would take the bait.

Standing at the gate of the cemetery at night with a dozen anxious classmates, Freddie and I began to have our doubts. Kyle reveled in our hesitation.

"That a yellow streak I see runnin' up your back, Hamilton?" he asked me.

Flapping his fat arms up and down, Kyle danced like a chicken.

"BAWK! BAWK!"

"They're not afraid!" Rendell insisted.

Turning to me, Rendell batted her long eyelashes, drawling, "You're not afraid, are you, Craig?"

"BAWK! BAWK!"

Grabbing me, Rendell pulled me into her grasp, kissing me on the cheek. I practically floated through the gate.

Freddie and I cautiously walked down the path leading to Brenda's grave.

"How come there's no streetlights in a graveyard?" Freddie asked nervously.

"I don't think the people here need them," I replied.

I turned to look behind us. The silhouettes of the kids watching us faded into the darkness.

"You think we can sneak by Smokey?" Fred asked.

We received an immediate answer. Smokey appeared in front of us, growling menacingly.

"I think he's telling us this is as far as he's going to let us go," Freddie said. "If you really think that trick you talked about before will work, now's the time to use it."

I slowly pulled the backpack I'd been carrying off my shoulder.

Smokey took several threatening steps forward.

I reached inside the backpack. Pulling out a slab of slightly cooked steak I'd swiped from the house, I tossed it aside.

Smokey marked where it landed but continued to study us.

"I think he knows he can kill us first and still have the meat," Freddie said.

Dismissing us with a huff, Smokey padded off, gorging himself on the steak.

Freddie and I continued down the path.

A green light flickered on ahead of us. Brenda Dykeman's smiling face appeared.

Freddie and I grabbed each other. Realizing that's not how heroes act, we quickly pushed each other away.

"You scared?"

"Definitely," I replied.

We turned to retreat. Smokey blocked our exit.

"I hope you brought more than just one piece of steak, Craig."

I threw Smokey another hunk of meat. He seemed to nod as if granting us permission to go ahead.

Freddie and I inched toward Brenda's grave.

Wide-eyed and no longer feeling like heroes, we looked down at her smiling face.

No lightning. No demons. No boogieman. Brenda just looked at us, smiling.

"Something's not right," I said.

"She hasn't blinked," Freddie noted.

"Yeah. It's like she's staring right through us."

I moved to the side of the grave. Freddie slowly followed.

"She hasn't turned her head," Freddie remarked. "She's still looking straight ahead. It's like she can't see us."

"She can't," I replied, pointing at the ground.

A life-sized image of Brenda's face had been etched into her tombstone. A fluorescent pale green light that was partially embedded in the ground illuminated the photo.

"Our ghost is a picture," Freddie said in an almost disappointed tone.

"Yeah. When it gets dark, the light comes on," I said.

"You think the other kids are still watching us?"

"Yeah, especially Rendell and Kyle."

"This has to be a secret just between you and me, Craig... It's too bad. I really wanted to see Brenda again, to talk to her."

A green mist poured from the light. Both of us stepped back as it enveloped the grave.

Brenda appeared in front of us dressed in green just as we'd known her in life.

"Hi...Hi Brenda."

"Hello, Craig. Hi Freddie. You guys wanna play kickball?"

"We...We didn't bring a ball with us," Freddie stammered.

"Let's play something. I've been so lonely."

"Where have you been, Brenda?" I asked.

"I dunno."

"Is it a place? A room?"

"I guess. It's always green here. I used to love green, but now, I dunno. There's always a green light around me except for a white light ahead of me."

"You should go to that light," I said.

"I don't want to. I'm scared."

Freddie's tone became soft and soothing. "You, scared? Never. There are kids on the other side of that light, kids like us. Kids you can play with."

"Will you come with me, Freddie?"

"Someday, Brenda. We'll all be there someday."

"We need you to go ahead of us, to be our leader," I said.

Brenda gave us a radiant smile.

"I'll be waiting."

The fluorescent light sizzled, burning out. Brenda's image dissolved and the pale green fog surrounding her grave faded.

As we got older, Kyle stopped bullying others, abusing himself instead. An addict, he lived a useless life and died a pointless death, shot at the age of 26 after welching on a bet.

Smokey broke loose from his chain one afternoon, mauling Bellinger so hideously he had to wear a mask to cover the claw marks on his face. Smokey attacked everyone he came across, everyone except Frankie Cincinnati. Frankie later claimed that Smokey had gazed at him apologetically. The cop who put Smokey down said Smokey looked him in the eye as if he was begging him to shoot.

All my efforts to impress Rendell couldn't prevent her family from moving to Texas a year later. I met my true love in college, built homes for a living and still thrill my grandkids with sightly embellished tales about Smokey and the smiling ghost.

I went to Freddie's funeral today. He was a month shy of 78. He used to say, even after three sons, a daughter, four grandkids, and 50 years of wedded bliss that he still wondered what life would have been like with Brenda.

Wherever they are, I bet they're playing kickball.


Writing Prompt
Write a Ghost Story. No limit on the word count. No poetry.

Ghost Story
Contest Winner
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Michael Jefferson All rights reserved.
Michael Jefferson has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.