Family Fiction posted December 14, 2021


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Another good-bye

Farewell, TV Dog

by Frank Malley



It's Christmas time; the nip in the air says so. Janice is out in the yard, teasing up the junk fire to make it burn hot enough to incinerate the odd mass of old family stuff she probably shouldn't be burning in the first place. As the fire grows hungry, Janice looks to the clear Catskill sky that will become evening blue in a minute. The insanity of scale plucks at her heart.
She reaches for the first burn candidate. It's "TV Dog," the stuffed animal generations of kids could lie across or put their chins on as they watched their favorite shows. TV Dog was nearly decapitated and had lost a sewn-on eye via years of cuddling with pre-K children. Now he is reluctant to flame up, refusing to burn, one-eyed and pathetic, at the stake. Craziness! thinks Janice, and she squeezes a plastic container to jet out a little kerosene onto the martyr.



Recognized


I am forced to encounter the emotional emanations of objects.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Frank Malley All rights reserved.
Frank Malley has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.