Humor Fiction posted December 12, 2021


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Oops!

Runs in the family ...

by Wendy G



"Welcome home, Dear – so good to see you! I know you were only gone a few days, but it's nice to have you home!"

Annie smiled and hugged him. James often travelled for business.

"Did you remember everything this time?" she continued.

James was very forgetful. He had left numerous umbrellas on trains, had lost hats, caps and sunglasses in various cities, and sometimes even left his pyjamas in hotel rooms.

"Sure did!" James replied happily. Then his face clouded.

"But wait, where's my brief-case? I know I had it when I got off the plane! Annie, sorry, I have to rush back to the airport. My business documents … some-one might take it!" He quickly left.

Fortunately the airport was not far. Within an hour he was home again, proudly holding his briefcase.

"Easy!" he told Annie. "I saw it straight away! Believe it or not, I left it in the car park. I put my luggage into the car, and then drove off. The funny thing is – there were no cars parked anywhere near it, so I didn't have to spend time looking for a park. But there was a crowd nearby and some-one called out to me, to not go near the brief-case! They'd called the Bomb Squad, just in case some-one had planted a bomb!"

"That will make a good story for tonight," laughed Annie. "I've invited Jane and Marcus over for dinner, with baby Jasper. He's already nearly two weeks old, and Marcus was away for work last weekend. It will be good to catch up with your sister's family."

"Jane will laugh at me, but she's just as absent-minded as I am!"

Dinner progressed well, and James recounted how his briefcase and precious documents could have easily been blown up by the Bomb Squad. "You and your briefcase could have been on the local news on TV!" laughed Marcus.

Jane quietly said, "I too have a story. And it's probably a good time to tell it now. You'll doubtless hear about it soon enough!"

"Marcus has been away too, as you know, and it's pretty hard to organise a new-born. I was really tired last Sunday, having been up with the baby for what seemed like half the night, so I was late getting Jasper ready for church. I just slipped into a back pew, and was glad to have been able to get there at all. Fortunately he slept through the whole service, but I didn't want to push my luck, so I left early to go home and feed him.

I drove quickly home, but as I pulled into the driveway … well, I realised I had left something back at church, so I turned around and went back. I'm pretty much as absent-minded as you are James, and coupled with tiredness – well, it's easy to overlook things.

But unlike your situation, a crowd had already gathered in the church car-park.

As I approached, my friend Beth greeted me, and told me in a whisper that the police and Social Services had been called!

"Whatever for?" I asked, incredulous.  Beth was surprised I hadn't heard.

They had found a new-born baby boy, strapped into his baby capsule, abandoned in the church car-park. Marcus, I am so sorry. I was so tired that I just wanted to go home – and for a moment I totally forgot I had a baby! I forgot to put Jasper in the car! I left him in the church car park!"

Jane blushed. "I didn't know quite how to tell you! But I'm sure you will hear about it next Sunday! SO embarrassing! They had to phone the police and Social Services to cancel, and explain that it was just an absent-minded new mother! Just SO thankful it didn't make the local news!"
 

 
 



FAMILY STORY ~ FICTION ~ writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
*Read All Rules*
Write a FICTIONAL story that involves a HUMAN family. The word length is minimum of 600 words with 650 words maximum.

NO VULGAR WORDS, PROFANITY, SEXUAL TERMS/ACTS OR INNUENDOS NO WARNINGS FOR LANGUAGE, SEX, OR VIOLENCE ACCEPTABLE.

NO 'blood & guts" gory story, such as MURDER of people. NO 'Dear John' letters. No long lost son/daughter showing up at a family's home. This is NOT a Christmas story.
Do NOT have any music that automatically plays when story begins. 1 picture that has no words, animation, or music, one color font with one color background may be used, dedication line (optional) which doesn't count in word length, and author notes that may include 1 video (may have vocal sound/music).

Recognized


(639 words)

While this story has been fictionalised, both events have occurred. You can probably guess who!
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Wendy G All rights reserved.
Wendy G has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.