General Fiction posted December 13, 2021


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Our Father is always close by.

Gifts From Heaven

by papa55mike


The year is 1938, and a vicious winter storm has again fallen upon the tiny town of Atoka, Tennessee. It's nestled in a valley east of Elizabethton. However, no one can see the Smokey Mountains today. A white blanket covers everything. The snow is piling up by the hour, and it could match the deadly storm of 1935. 

It's hard to believe that we lost the James, Johnson, and Murray families three years ago when their homes collapsed under the weight of the heavy snow.

Tabby remembers when the rescuers found her best friend, Lily James, cradling her newborn son in her arms. In all, we lost seven adults and thirteen children on that Christmas Eve.

The front door to our general store opens, and John, her husband, walks in from carrying a delivery. He's a sturdy man at six foot three with dashing blue eyes and blond curls sticking out from under his hat. His face is bright red from the cold and wind. John shakes off his coat by the pot-bellied stove. The snow sizzles when it strikes the black surface. 

After stirring the stew, Tabby peeks around the corner from their living quarters and asks, "How cold is it, sweetie?"

"The wind is frigid, my pet, and the snow keeps piling up. There must be twenty inches on the ground by now." He walks into the kitchen. "What's for supper, my Tabby cat?"

"A hearty stew with venison and rabbit. I'm sure looking forward to that ham you bought for Christmas. After all, I'm eating for two."

"You will have to wait for that." John wraps his arms around Tabby from behind, rubs her swollen belly, and says, "We'll have a son to buy for next Christmas."

"Maybe it will be a daughter?"

"No, his name will be Johnathon Davis Jr., and we'll be so proud." From behind, he kisses her cheek. "Tabby, are you still worried about the snow?"

"I lost too many dear friends on that Christmas Eve, and now it's poised to happen again on that very day. Why doesn't God answer my prayer?"

"Maybe He has, my pet. Nothing has collapsed yet."

Suddenly the store's door flings open, and Mayor Thomas Gray steps in and hollers, "John, the school is collapsing. We barely got Abigail out before the back section crashed in, and the rest is ready to go at any minute."

Tabby watches a firm look appear on her husband's face, and then he barks out an order. "Gather the men, Mayor! Tell them there are ten-foot fence posts in the back corner of our lumber shed. Bring them there, and we'll save the rest of the school." John grabs his coat, then steps back into his boots. He smiles at Tabby and says, "Keep the stew warm until I get back."

"Always, my love." 

Tabby grabs her wrap then hurries out the front door just in time to see John hurrying down the street with two posts on one shoulder and two sledgehammers on the other. His heroic figure disappears in the blowing snow. 

The bitter wind blows against her pale face. Tabby sees the dim lights in the windows of all the stores along Main Street. The snow blankets the doors on all the shops. The porch roofs have gathered many inches of thick white powder. When she turns to escape the cold, Tabby sees the burden the store is under then prays, "Please, Lord, have you forgotten us! I'm begging you to protect this town through the storm."

It was well after midnight when John quietly closed the front door. Tabby is comfortably under the quilt. He quickly undresses, slides in the bed then pulls the quilt up around his ears.

She turns to him and asks, "Aren't you starving?"

"Not with your arms around me."

Tabby draws him close then falls into a worried sleep.

~

The following day is Christmas Eve, and a shaft of sunlight greets John and Tabby when they open the door for business. The snow has stopped for the moment, but black clouds loom to the Northwest.

For the first time in several days, Tabby smiles.

John begins to scan the buildings down Main Street. There's so much work to do before the storm resumes. All of the front porches need propping up, starting with Miss Betty's Tobacco Shop across the street. Ken's Cafe` is sagging on the left side. We're not worrying about the empty building, and the Piggly Wiggly should be okay. It made it through the last storm.

He focuses on the school and church at the end of the street. We've done all we can at the school, and the church with its slanted roof will be fine. The parsonage looks like the hand of God is holding it up. I don't know how Pastor Horace can get out the door, and we need to start there.

On our side of the street, the National 5 & 10, Dr. Sam's office, Sally's Dress Shop, and our store all need the porches braced.

John turns to check out Bob's Texaco at the entrance of Atoka. The wind has blown so much snow against the building you can't see the pumps. There's no Chrylser, Packard, or Studebaker traveling today.

Tabby nudges John and asks, "Have you got the day planned out."

"If we want to save the town, yes."

"Well," Tabby pushes a blond curl from his forehead and says, "Let's get a hearty breakfast in you before Superman starts working."

John looks lovingly into Tabby's dark blue eyes, brushes the brown hair from her face, and says, "I did miss your stew last night. That must be why my stomach is growling."

With a shiver, they head back inside.

~

That evening, Tabby pulls out the last box of ornaments from under the counter and begins to finish the tree. John had a nice Spruce picked out before the storm started, and it took him forever to get the snow off of it.

He's fallen asleep in the rocker beside the stove. Even with the help of six men, including the Mayor, it still took all day to brace up the buildings along Main Street. John has a deep love for this little town, and it's where he wants to raise our family.

Tabby puts the last glass bulb on the tree, and John begins to stir. She walks over to him when he opens his eyes, gently rubs his cheek, then asks, "Will you put the angel on top of the tree? Then you can go to bed."

"Yes, ma'am. Is it snowing yet?"

"The snow started about an hour ago." A wind gust rattles around the store, and she adds. "The wind is back also."

John puts the angel on top, then looks at the tree and exclaims, "It's beautiful, Tabby, like you."

They embrace in a passionate kiss. Tabby speaks up, "The last time you kissed me like that, I ended up in this condition."

"I'm too tired. Are you coming to bed?"

"In a few minutes. I still have a couple of things to do."

"Don't mind my snoring." John shuffles off to bed.

"It's like music to my ears," Tabby smiles.

Within minutes, she could hear him snoring all over the store. 

Tabby collects the remaining ornament boxes then glances out the window. The snow continues to pound the little town, but she refuses to accept the fear. Tabby places the boxes under the front counter then walks over to the Christmas tree. The fire crackles in the stove and lights the tree in a glorious glow. The silver angels seem to glisten, and the reflection of the fire dances on the silver and gold globes.

Tabby kneels before the Nativity ornament and begins to pray, "Oh, Father in Heaven, you are mighty in deeds and love. Hallowed be thy name. Thank you for protecting our town from the brutal weather and for using my loving husband to do all he could. Please, Lord, bring this town a wonderful Christmas day - where we can all sing to the glory of our Savior's birth. Forgive me for saying that You have forgotten us, and I know You never will. In Jesus' loving name. Amen."

Tabby slowly rises then turns towards their room, and she doesn't see the shower of radiant lights falling on the town.

~

Christmas day started with a pounding on the front door, and it jarred both John and Tabby out of bed. 

Tabby thought the town was collapsing again and quickly grabbed her robe. Who would they lose today? 

John slid on his pants and shirt then opened the door. Mayor Gray and his daughter Abigail rush in, then the Mayor asks, "Did you and Tabby get a package, John?"

He answers, "Not that I know of, Mayor."

Abigail speaks up, "Yes, you did. It's there by the tree."

Mayor Gray says, "We thought you delivered them as a gift to the town; every home in the valley received one. But no one knows where they came from."

Tabby slowly walks over to the large box wrapped in a red paper she's never seen before. A dazzling green ribbon encircles the box with a large red bow on the top.

"The strange thing is," Mayor Gray explains, "It contains everything we needed but didn't ask for; I needed a new suit, there it was in the box, and perfectly sized."

Abigail exclaims, "My box contained all the school supplies that I've wanted since the beginning of the school year. It also had a new dress and shoes for me."

Mayor Gray states, "It's a complete mystery. We must accept this marvelous treasure for what it is - a gift of love. Merry Christmas, my friends." They turn to leave.

Tabby kneels before the box and begins to rub the paper. She asks, "Should we open it, John?"

"Yes, my love."

Tabby gently takes off the bow and ribbon, pulls the paper away from the top of the box. John takes the lid off, and they find a stack of baby clothes for a boy. The pair of boots that John wanted to order and a lovely blue dress for Tabby. 

A note was at the bottom of the box. It simply read:

I will never forget you, my daughter, nor the town of Atoka.

Merry Christmas!

Tabby's tears begin to stream from her eyes then spill onto the floor.

Word had spread throughout the town that a special Christmas service would be held at six this evening to celebrate this wonderful day. John and Tabby head out the front door, with him in the new boots and Tabby in her new dress.

Walking down Main Street, they see the clear night sky above. Suddenly, the stars swirl in the sky and change into angels above them. Tabby asks, "Do you see them, sweetie?"

"Yes, my love, a host of heavenly angels."

They both wave at them; the angels smile then disappear into the night sky above.




Christmas Story contest entry

Recognized


There have been many times in the past I thought God had forgotten our family during the holidays. But that season in our lives taught us to make the best with what we had. Those were special holidays.

Many thanks for stopping by to read!
Have a great day and Merry Christmas.
mike

Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. papa55mike All rights reserved.
papa55mike has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.