Romance Fiction posted December 5, 2021 Chapters:  ...62 63 -64- 65... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Gabriel and Katherine find out Melton Ivory was at the game

A chapter in the book Football - A Novel

Football Chapter 34 part 3

by barbara.wilkey




Background
After Katherine's husband dies, she struggles raising her four sons by herself. Is Gabriel the father figure the boys never had and the husband she deserves?
Katherine and Gabriel have known each other for 42 days.

ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

The Bears' defense held the team after the kick-off. They weren't able to gain any yardage and the clock ran out. Final score, 3-to-0.

After Katherine released a deep breath, she said, "Boys, let's load up."

Angie glanced at Paul, who hand motioned them to hurry. She said, "Come on, guys, let's go. Maybe we can avoid the traffic." She grabbed wet items.

Katherine and the boys headed toward the SUV. Angie slightly waited back, as Paul hurried to her and said, "Security's holding him about thirty minutes. You should have a pretty good head start. Gabe still knows nothing."

"That famous temper of his will rear its ugly head. Since meeting Katherine he's kept it under control. Katherine knows nothing either."

TODAY'S POST:

Chapter 34 part 3

After the players' bus returned to the high school, Gabriel saw Paul standing outside his office. "What're you doing here?" He studied Paul's face. "Has something happened to Kate?"

Paul explained that Melton Ivory sat seven rows behind her during the game.

"Did she make it home safely?"

"As far as I know."

"You didn't check?" Gabriel took out his phone. "The battery's dead." He tossed it onto the desk, but it bounced into the hallway. "That thing's useless." He yelled, "Why wasn't I told?"

"You were busy winning a game. I was notified and handled it."

Both Gabriel's hands formed fists. "No win's more important than Kate and the boys. Who notified you? Why didn't Kate contact me?"

"Katherine doesn't know. Angie saw him and told Bill. Bill texted me."

Gabriel hit the wall on his way to the hallway. "Bill, get in here!"

When Bill stood in front of him, he asked, "Why didn't you tell me about Ivory? We just spent hours together and you couldn't find time to tell me? You sat behind me on the bus."

"We handled it. We decided you didn't need to know, yet."

Jordan picked up Gabriel's phone. "Coach, you might need this." He held it out. After Coach took it, Jordan glanced through the door. "How'd it get out there?"

"Jordan, let's get you home."

As they walked toward the pick-up, Jordan stared at Gabriel. "Coach, what's going on? Is Mom all right?"

"We think so." Gabriel glared over his shoulder at his buddies. "Let's check for ourselves. I'll deal with them later."

Silence continued until almost home. Gabriel apologized, "Sorry about what you witnessed in my office. I allowed my temper to show. I just found out that Ivory..."

"The man from the coffee shop?" interrupted Jordan.

"Yes. He sat a few rows behind your mom. Bill and Paul, Mr. Edwards, said they handled it. Nobody told me or checked to make sure she made it home safely. I tried to call but my phone's battery was dead." Gabriel glanced at Jordan. "I didn't throw the phone, but tossed it on my desk, a little harder than intended."

"I understand. You're worried about Mom."

"True, but it's no excuse. It's an area I need to work on."

*****
After parking in front of Katherine's house, Gabriel and Jordan ran up the front steps. At the door Gabriel called, "Katherine?"

She came from upstairs. "I just put the boys to bed. What's wrong?"

He put his arms around her and held tight. "You're all right."

"Of course I am. What's this about?"

Angie walked from the kitchen. "Gabe, I guess you heard."

"Why didn't you text me?"

Katherine released a deep breath. "What's going on and why am I the only person who doesn't know?"

Gabriel's eyes met Angie's. "That was my question. Why wasn't I told?"

Tapping a dining room chair, Angie continued, "Katherine, please sit." After Katherine sat, Angie continued, "Melton Ivory sat seven rows behind you during the game. I told Bill, Bill told Paul, Paul took care of it." She studied her hands. "I guess Gabriel just found out."

Katherine stood. "I need to get Jordan fed. He has early practice." She disappeared into the kitchen. Putting both hands on the counter, tears crept down her cheeks.

Moments later Angie came in. "Katherine, I didn't want to scare you. I made the decision not to tell you. Paul handled it. He contacted security and they made sure you were safe."

Bill walked in the kitchen. "Angie, it's late we need to get home."

Angie walked up to her husband. "How angry is Gabe?"

"What we both expected. He'll get over it." Bill walked over to Katherine and gave her a hug. "I'm glad you're safe. Sorry about the secrecy. We did what we thought was best at the time."

Katherine wiped a tear and motioned to the food. "I understand. Please help yourself to a shredded chicken sandwich and some fruit. There's plenty. Except for Jordan the boys have eaten and are in bed."

Gabriel and Jordan came into the kitchen. Gabriel scanned the area. "Katherine, I hope you don't mind, but Jordan put my phone on your charger." His eyes met hers. "I'm sorry about tonight."

"You have nothing to be sorry for. Please help yourself." As people helped themselves, Katherine said, "I think it's best if we forgive and forget this incident. We're close friends and everybody did what they thought was best. I'm not sure there was a best way to handle it."

Bill offered his hand to Gabriel. "I'm sorry, buddy. I did my best."

Accepting Bill's hand, Gabriel said, "I know. I never doubted that. I guess my anger's because..." his eyes met Katherine's, "I wasn't available when Kate needed me." He hugged her. "I'm sorry."

"I don't blame you. Our close friends took care of it."

Gabriel glanced at both Angie and Bill. "I guess I owe you an apology. Thank you for making sure Katherine was safe and probably keeping me from doing something stupid." He made himself a sandwich. "Let's eat."

*****
After Bill and Angie left, Katherine and Gabriel quickly cleaned the kitchen as he asked, "Any questions about tomorrow?"

"I don't think so. During yesterday's practice, I told the girls what to expect. When I went to Invitationals, we dressed out before getting on the bus, is that the way it's still done?"

Gabriel thought a moment. "I would. I'm not sure about the availability of locker rooms. I'm sure they're accessible, but with a total of six schools, it'll be a mess." He took her hand and led her to the living room. "It's getting late. I'd better go. Before I leave I want to check and make sure you're okay."

"I'm fine. Do you think Mr. Ivory will try something again?"

"I don't know what he's thinking. I honestly believed I'd handled it. I guess we need to be on guard, just in case." He leaned over and kissed her. "Good night. I'll try to catch you in the morning before you leave." He opened the door and paused. "I almost forgot. My phone."

Katherine headed toward her bedroom. "I'll get it." She handed it to him.

He kissed her again. "I get to do this one more time. See you in a few hours."

At his pick-up, he glanced at his phone, came back to the house, and knocked on the door. When Katherine opened it, he said, "I just saw your text." He paused. "I didn't respond because my phone went dead, but I love you, too." He stepped in, closed the door, and kissed her. "Sorry I didn't respond right away." He thought a moment. "Is there a particular reason you sent it?"

"For some reason, I got scared and needed the security of your arms around me. I knew that was impossible so I did the next best thing. I didn't know why."

He drew her close. "Sorry, I wasn't there. Even though you didn't know about Ivory, maybe your subconscious knew something was wrong. I'm glad you thought of me." He released a deep breath. "As much as I want to stay tonight," he hesitated, "not to..."

"I know," interrupted Katherine.

"I want to make sure you feel secure." He held her tightly and kissed her forehead.

She stepped back and kissed him. "We need to say good night."

"You're right." He kissed her again and then walked out the door.

~~~~~~
I want to thank those of you who have expressed concern and have asked about my broken wrist. I'm continuing with rehab. My wrist continues to heal, but not as fast as I would like. I don't go back to the doctor until January 4th.
~~~~~~

CHARACTERS:

Katherine Riley: age 33 - widowed: husband died 6 months ago. She moved to Texas from NYC with her four sons. She teaches high school math and also coaches girls cross country.

Daisy: Katherine's yellow Labrador

Gabriel Hudson: High School football coach and former NFL defensive lineman

Reggie: a very large English Mastiff

Jeremy: Katherine's six year old son. He's in first grade.

Jordan: Katherine's fifteen year old son. He's a sophomore.

Joshua Katherine's thirteen year old son. He's in 8th grade

Joel Katherine's eleven year old son. He's in 6th grade.

Paul Edwards: High School principal and Gabriel's friend.

Rodney Frost: Math department head, at least for now.

Angie Brooks Math teacher and Katherine's friend.

Frank Collins Math teacher.

Rebecca and Harold Hudson Gabriel's parents

Sarah and Bob Beck Katherine's parents, Bob is deceased

Alan Green an Assistant Principal

Sandy Frost Rodney Frost's wife

Sam Auto repair shop owner

Bill Brooks Assistant football coach, Gabriel's friend, and Angie's husband.

Harold Hudson Gabriel's dad and football announcer.

Sandy Teenage girl on cross country team.

Judy Teenage girl on cross country team.

Rhonda Morgan Teenage girl on cross country team, and victim of dating violence.

Mr. and Mrs. Morgan Rhonda's parents.

Kenny Clark Teenager - Rhonda's boyfriend

Grace Former friend of Gabriel and featured in porn magazine

Janette & Jackson Riley Katherine's in-laws

Dr. Martin Jordan's doctor

Troy Elder Lawyer and friend of Gabriel from his pro-football days

UIL The University Interscholastic League exists to provide educational extracurricular academic, athletic, and music contests. The UIL was created by The University of Texas at Austin in 1910 and has grown into the largest inter-school organization of its kind in the world.

Melton Ivory Lawyer and possible new suitor



Book of the Month contest entry

Recognized

#4
December
2021


Thank you Google images for sharing a photo of a phone being thrown. I also want to thank everybody for the helpful reviews. Again, thank you for catching those errors. I added a little intensity to Gabriel's actions as I posted. I am curious if they work. This novel is far from over. I have approximately 25 more posts. Katherine and Gabriel still have some life issues to navigate. This is truly the calm before the storm. This novel is not actually about football, but is part of the background. High football is a national pastime in Texas. This post is a little over 1200 words. Thank you for having patience.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.