Mystery and Crime Fiction posted December 3, 2021 Chapters:  ...20 21 -22- 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
A Detective John Dutton Novelette

A chapter in the book Shape Shifter

Shape Shifter Part Twenty-Two

by Brett Matthew West

Parked in a melange around the front stoop's small companionway, at least a dozen police vehicles collected at Karl Adler's residence. Dutton flashed his detective shield. He and Ballister moved at a quick-step pace. No one could have prevented them from reaching their destination. The end of the chase rapidly approached.

A blue suit Dutton encountered commented, "A homicide in progress was called in. The perpetrator's surrounded inside."

Dutton told Ballister, "This is how Adler wants to end his spree."

In drifted thought, Ballister replied, "I'll never know what to make of Adler."

"There's nothing logical about him, Mark," Dutton responded. "I've never seen a killer even come close to Adler's fierce savagery. When we began this case, I was convinced Adler could not feel anything at all."

"He's a ruthless wing nut with unmethodical murders," Ballister stated.

"I don't think so. Adler's felt every one of his butcher jobs. That's what drove him loony and kept him slaughtering so many times. Adler's psychotic, but he does not lack the ability to elaborate on his misinterpretations of reality," Dutton stated.

"Now, he's blockaded himself inside his own house. You know how much I despise this dweeb?" Ballister asked.

"We've sweated this case from Adler's initial murder, and we've seen what Adler's done to all his fatalities. Now, the powers in charge of the final decision are trying to determine if we should enter the house? What kind of horse malarky is that crap?" Dutton questioned.

"Adler's never explained his actions to drudgers like us. No, he calls the station and swears he's going to commit hare kari. I say let him," Ballister responded.

Dutton burst through the front door. "Adler! It's Dutton. I'm coming in!"

A frosty chill filled the house. Adler feebly yelled from the bedroom.

Dutton turned to Ballister and remarked, "Who knows what we're walking into?"

"John, for one time let it go," Ballister replied.

Dutton told him, "I wish I could. But, it's gone too far already. I can't let go."

His weapon drawn, Dutton pushed his way upstairs to the room at the end of the narrow corridor. He crept into the open room unsuspecting what he observed.

Cut open like a dissected frog in a high school biology class, Adler lay on his back on the king-sized bed. He clutched a blood-soaked knife in his hand. Barely alive, Adler's upper torso was ripped apart. Dutton thought it incredulous he remained conscious.

Somehow, Adler managed to speak, "Unlike those I attacked, you've never seen my artistry before up close and personal."

Dutton shook his head. He'd never witnessed anything of the essence. Never, not in all his long years in Homicide. Exposed tendons, muscles, and rib bones gazed at the appalled, nauseated, and aghast detective. Undoubtedly, Adler was his own final victim.

"Stay where you're at, Dutton, and take a real close look at what I've become," Adler insisted.

Dutton refused to argue the finer points of life with the crazed butcher.

Adler raised the knife to cut himself again. Trance-like, he disclosed, "I murdered Doris in this same bed."

Dutton forced himself not to look away. His eyes scrutinized the room. "Everything's come to a full circle."

Adler said, "I anguished for Doris."

"I thought so. At first. When you began killing. Then, I unraveled your plan, Adler," Dutton replied.

"Tell me what you resolved, Dutton. I left you enough clues. All you had to do was put the pieces of the puzzle together," Adler derided the detective's comments.

"You never wanted to kill your other victims, Adler. You murdered each one of them to constantly suffer Doris' death," Dutton told him.

Adler raised the knife higher.

"Don't!" Dutton thundered.

He rushed Adler and threw himself at his nemesis. Dutton yanked the bedspread off the mattress and pressed the cover against Adler's chest with force. Resisting Dutton, Adler floundered around wildly.

Dutton fired his revolver point blank. The deafening explosion rocked the room. Adler's corpse quivered with rapid motion on the bed. His eyes rolled back in his head.

Dutton told his partner, "Party's over, Mark. Adler won't kill anybody else ever again."





usa police car, by Hagan W, selected to complement my novelette.

So, thanks Hagan W, for the use of your picture. It goes so nicely with my novelette.








Should you desire to read the previous parts of my novelette click on the blue numbers at the top of the page.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Brett Matthew West All rights reserved.
Brett Matthew West has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.