General Fiction posted December 7, 2021 Chapters:  ...6 7 -8- 9... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Stories and looks are shared before the Loosahachie Bridge.

A chapter in the book The Walkers

The Group Grows Closer Together

by papa55mike




Background
Gabriel Hope leads a formidable team of Angels and Walkers through the Spirit Realm on a dangerous mission to India.
Cal and Cris are quietly walking behind Gabriel and Michael. Cris is scanning the horizon for any danger while Cal sneaks a look at him.

Cris is a handsome thing, and what a shot. He blinded that Garrote like it was nothing. I wonder how it feels to have his arms wrapped around me. It's been so long since I've been the least bit interested in a man, probably because all the men around me are cops or pimps. There's no future in that.

Her eyes drift to the shell of an empty building about a mile away. That's when Cris turns his attention to Cal.

Pearlie was right; Cal is an Amazon goddess. I've never seen another woman like her before. I sure don't want to play volleyball against her. Cal would spike the ball on my face for spite. She's so quick with that bow and had six arrows in the heart of the demon before I got my gun out. Cal is the first woman since Sarah's death that I've noticed. Now, I can't take my eyes off of her.

Cal's eyes drift back to Cris, but he doesn't turn away, just smiles.

She asks, "What are you looking at?"

"A beautiful woman," Cris starts scanning the horizon again.

Cal shakes her head and blushes a little.

~

"Michael, why do you think that Garrote attacked us alone?"

"It looked young to me, Gabriel. It must have heard someone talking about us and then decided to take action against us alone."

"Trying to earn brownie points from the Evil One."

"Brownie points?"

"It's a selfish earth saying, Michael. Trying to look good to the boss."

"What's a boss?"

"Nevermind," Gabe smiles then shakes his head.

Michael asks, "How much longer until we reach the river you spoke of?"

"It's just over the next hill. What concerns me, Michael, if the Garrote knows of us, will the Familiars?"

"That answer, Gabriel, is just over the hill."

The ragged highway ribbons its way through a blackened forest. The skeletons of the leaf strip trees angrily reach for the dark clouds above, and the shadows seem to creep with an unknown presence. Red eyes peering through the darkness study their every move.

Cal turns to Cris and asks, "Do you feel it?"

"Yes, we're being watched, and we need to tighten the circle to avoid being prey."

"Are you using hunting terms, Cris?"

"We are four against many, Cal. I used that knowledge to my advantage while working with the SWAT unit in North Carolina, and it saved my team and me more than once. Let's tighten up to Gabe and Michael."

They jog back to their friends, and Cal asks, "Do you two know that something is watching us?"

"In here," Gabe smiles. "Always."

Michael says, "That's good, Cal. It means your Spirit is joining the Realm."

"I don't know if I like the sound of that," Cal smiles.

"No, it's a good thing. Your Spirit can let you know when danger is close," Michael answers.

"There's another gift from this realm," Gabe interjects, "You will be able to find the Spirit Realm when we're back to the Physical Realm. All it takes is closing your eyes and a little prayer. It's amazing how many demons walk the earth unseen."

Cris answers, "I believe that. I've met hundreds and probably didn't know it. At least they acted like it."

"I don't doubt it," Gabe grins.

Cal gets in between Gabe and Cris to ask, "Tell us about the last time you were here, Gabe."

"There's not a lot to tell. It all began the year before. A ragged Street-preacher started terrorizing a neighborhood close by - we found out he was using a group of teenagers to invade homes and rob the families living there. Then, I chased him all around West Tennessee and into Memphis. With some help, we put some serious hurt on Satan's more evil operations. After a few days to rest at Chickasaw State Park, I headed home. Along the way, the smell of brimstone drifted my way. The Street-preacher appeared through a portal and invited me in. He quickly disappeared before I got too close, but I couldn't help but follow him through the portal.  To make a long story short, I found a battle where thousands of demons had taken a platoon of Angels captive. The war was raging between two other platoons of Angels to free them from the demons. Behind the battle lines stood the Street-preacher and three large friends that happened to be Goliath and his two brothers. Giants are easy to defeat; they usually run at you trying to install fear. That's when I go under their first attack, take their legs out from under of them and send them back to the abyss."

Cal says, "That's what you did to the Garrote."

"Yeah, pretty much the same thing. After taking out Goliath and brothers, I turned towards the Street-preacher surrounded by demons. Michael got there about that time. I was almost able to get a shot at him, but Asmodeus had slipped in behind me." Gabriel pulls the five-foot, jagged sword from its sheath and continues, "He rammed this sword right through me. The tip was sticking out three feet from my chest, but Michael was there to help and heal me with his Tallit."

Cris asks, "So you can die here?"

"Yes, you can," Michael answers.

The band of warriors starts up the hill leading to the Loosahatchie bridge with all senses on alert. Each one feels the peering eyes of evil upon them. Shadows dash in between the dead trees, relaying messages to others.

Cris asks, "Why don't they attack, Gabe?"

"They're waiting to set the trap, and it's probably at the bridge."

Cal speaks up, "What a comforting thought."

Gabe and Cris snicker at her sarcasm.

Michael has pushed ahead a few steps and shakes his head at the top of the hill. "You were correct, Gabriel."

Gabe tops the hill then pulls out his binoculars. The trap is perfectly set. Two piles of burning tires fill the scene with putrid smoke. Cars piled up on the highway to form a V leading to the bridge, squeezing the path to a small opening at the center of the bridge. Across the bridge, semi-trailers block the exit. Familiars dance an evil jig to celebrate their coming victory.

Gabe says, "It looks like we're expected. Do you want a look, Cris?"

"Yes, sir," Cris takes the field glasses then exclaims, "They sure are ugly. Horns are going in every direction, misplaced red eyes, and long nasty-looking fangs. I'd say there are at least five hundred of them. Why are there scars all over their bodies?"

Michael answers, "They are scars from the Evil One's whip. He loves to beat the little ones."

Gabe thinks for a moment, then asks, "Is that why you said the Garrote was a young one, Michael?"

"Yes, he hadn't tasted the master's whip yet."

"Well," Gabe smiles, then says, "Let's go have some fun with these little guys."

Cal puts her hand on Gabe's shoulder and says, "You are a twisted thing, big fella."




Many thanks for stopping by to read!
Have a great day, and God bless.
mike

The Cast of Characters.

Prisha
The twelve-year-old girl who her father sold to the Dealer in the prologue.

The Angelic Warriors

Gabriel Hope
At six feet, six inches tall, 295 pounds, Gabe is a 20 year veteran of the Army Rangers, and he's been walking for the Lord for 23 years.

Michael
The Arch Angel of Heaven, Prince of God, Commander of the Lord's Armies. His massive size varies depending on the situation. Michael has been friends with Gabe for many years after recruiting him for battles in the Spirit Realm.

Cal Cummings
At six feet, two inches tall, 200 pounds, Cal graduated from Vanderbilt University with a Master's degree in Theology. She also starred in Volleyball and is an Olympic Champion Archer. Five years ago, she was working in the mission fields of Africa when bandits killed her Mother and Father in a brutal attack. Cal barely escaped.

Cris Turner
At six feet tall, 200 pounds, Cris has a Master's degree in Criminal Science and Theology from North Carolina University. He is also an excellent shot with his Colt 45 model #1911. Cris started walking for the Lord three years ago when his wife and son were killed in a plane crash. Cris missed the flight.

The Enemy

Lucifer, Satan, or the Evil One
He is the Supreme Commander of all the demon armies and ruler of the Spirit Realm.

Beelzebub
2nd in command under Lucifer, all of the other generals report to him. He uses pride to tempt others.

Asmodeus
Commander of the North American army of demons, and he tempts others with burning desire.

Leviathon
Commander of the Western Asian army of demons, and he tempts others with heresy.

Legions
The slow marching skeletal soldiers in Satan's armies - Legions vary in size from five to seven feet tall. They are known for their ability to leap upon their prey and are mighty in battle.

Familiars
They are much smaller than the Legions but quick soldiers that hunt in packs. They cling to the dried-up riverbeds, oceans, lakes, and streams. Familiars carry short swords and sling-shots.

Cambions
Cambions are one to two-foot-tall demons with oversized reproductive organs. Cambions are created in the Spirit Realm when a demon mates with a male or female human while dreaming.

Garrote
A super demon that's created when Satan or one of his Generals mates with a young virgin girl in the Earthly Realm.





Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. papa55mike All rights reserved.
papa55mike has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.