General Non-Fiction posted November 24, 2021


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
How could she be ...

Approaching the end

by Wendy G


I moved off the edge of the path, allowing more room for the elderly lady to pass.

She looked very gaunt, scrawny even, and was hunched over her walking frame, eyes cast down. Her clothes hung loosely. Although it was a warm day she wore many layers.

I sensed loneliness and despair.

As she passed, I noticed that under her woollen beanie, her hair was green, hanging in thin wispy plaits.

I gasped in recognition.

At our last Christmas street party I had chatted with her.

This was Katy, she was twenty-eight, and she had anorexia nervosa.

She was dying.



100 Word Story writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Write a story of 100 words. not including the title. Any subject accepted. Must be exactly 100 words.

Recognized


True story.
At the Christmas party, it had been evident that Katy was very ill, suffering from this devastating condition. She did indeed have green hair, along with many tattoos and piercings.
Others obviously felt awkward with her, but we connected, chatting at length about dogs, which she loved.
She spends a lot of her time in hospital.

The other day I was shocked to see her further deterioration.
If you are a person who prays, please add her to your list.

It was impossible to find a picture of an extremely thin young woman with a walking frame, let alone one with wispy green hair in straggly plaits!
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Wendy G All rights reserved.
Wendy G has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.