General Fiction posted November 24, 2021


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
a two-hundred-word story

Crazy Dates 4

by Bill Schott



It was a strange time between wives. I realize now that I was probably dealing with some PTSD effects, which were taking me down a rabbit hole. I had returned from a traumatic time in Beirut a few months earlier to find that my wife had left me and abandoned our son with the neighbors.

Sitting on a bar stool, I was approached by a relatively young woman. She had been over-served and was trolling for a ride home.

I can only imagine that I viewed this exchange as something occurring outside myself, and I agreed to give her a ride.

The next morning, I woke up in my bed alone. This was odd, since I had been sleeping on my couch for over a month.

I found a note on the counter that separated the kitchen from the living room in my double-wide mobile home. It read: OSCAR, I'M TAKING YOUR TRUCK HOME. BE BACK IN THE MORNING.

Oscar had become my alias when meeting people with whom I wasn't willing to be totally up front.

I was left wondering who had my truck, as the previous night's activities were still lost in the fog of my pickled brain.



 


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Bill Schott All rights reserved.
Bill Schott has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.