General Non-Fiction posted November 22, 2021 Chapters:  ...25 26 -27- 28... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Deserts, mountains and enjoyable people.

A chapter in the book My Life

Across Country

by aryr



Background
Our ongoing travels...
Okay, on with our adventures. We arrived in Rapid City, SD on October 24th where we stayed until the morning of November 12th. While there we found time to see the Crazy Horse Memorial. It was amazing how much they accomplished in his lifetime. Korczak Ziolkowsi died in 1982 of Polish American of natural causes. He also worked on Mount Rushmore for approximately a year. His wife Ruth took over. The monument is 6,532 feet above sea level and is ranked 27th in the highest mountain in South Dakota. Korczak and the Lakota Chief Henry Standing Bear picked this particular spot because it was sacred to the Native American Indians and because it is made of pegmatite granite found in the Black Hills of South Dakota. Construction started in 1948. The face of Crazy Horse was finished in 1998 with the help of Ruth's eight children. Now was the start of his arm and hand, all of this takes time. We spent three days there minus travel time about an hour and a half each way. Oh, by the way we stayed at Happy Holiday RV Park and had a great site.

When we left on November 12th, we headed towards Rawlins, Wyoming where we stayed for the night at Red Desert Rose RV Park. Because of the lateness of our arrival and mostly because I forgot to take something out of the freezer for supper/dinner we went to Domino's for pizza. But first we had to stop for a deer wandering across the road, yes, a deer and his rack was at least 8 points. Instead of Domino which does have gluten free crust we went to Shogun's Pizza on the side we parked. They also had gluten free, so we were settled. Because we were hungry, we ordered the typical size pizza and an order of humungous sized chicken wings without breading. We will definitely go back for another pizza and to see the local prison, which has a great history. As far as the sights we saw there were lots of rolling hills, lots of large black rocks and the occasional cow or horse. We traveled on Hwy 16, 226, 97 and heaven knows where else. Tabitha is a great traveler, most of the time she is on the bed of the big rig or behind Jim on the set of drawers or on his lap when he is driving. When I take the wheel, she knows that she is not allowed on my lap so has her front paws on my shoulder and watches out the windshield.

On November 13th we went to Salt Lake City, Utah, and we took Interstate 80 then a little skip over to North 15 to the campground where again we stayed overnight at The Pony Express. Ahaa, this time I took something out for supper which thawed in the fridge. There was no wind or breeze because we were in a valley, and the mountains were hazed over. The maintenance man told us that they have had up to two feet of snow there. Whew! I was not impressed with the ongoing desert, the dried-up lake which used to be filled with salt water and the mountains. We only went this route because we knew it was snow free.

Then on November 14th we traveled West on 80 once more to Fenley, Nevada, however this time we stayed two nights (the 14th & 15th) at the Desert Rose RV Park. Notice the slight difference in the name of where we stayed in Wyoming. We got to see the Petroglyphs about 40 miles from Fenley and enjoyed a fantastic burger on a gluten free bun. When Jim is around, we try to be gluten free, the poor guy will order things bunless, if not gluten free. Me, if given a choice I will have a regular bun. Not in this case, lol. I managed to get caught up on the laundry with the extra day.

November 16th saw us on West 80 then on North 395 to California where we were stopped for an Inspection to see if we had any firewood, nope, and we were cleared. They didn't even say anything about the smart car we towed. Whew! The only thing that did not impress me was the driving of 55. At Susanville we stopped at Walmart the only area we could get into for a phone call meeting with Santa Catalina. After which we continued on West 44 to Redding. We go some great pictures of Mount Shasta covered with snow. Then we changed to Interstate 5 North to Medford, Oregon then onto East 62 to about 20 or 30 miles north, to a community called Shady Cove which has the Rogue River running through it. We finally stopped at the Rogue River RV Park.

We will be here until mid-March, but Jim has to fly out at 6 am from Medford on the 25th to lower California then take a ferry to Santa Catalina where he will be with two other techs until December 22nd. So, I will be on my own for this time, just me and the cat. She is the reason I am not going, initially they suggested that I go but where would we put her. I decided to stay. Yeaaaa!

News on Catalina when Jim returns, probably the week between Christmas and New Year's. Sites that we have seen here in Oregon in late January and late February. Until then safe travels...Jim, Alie & Tabitha.



Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. aryr All rights reserved.
aryr has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.