Family Fiction posted November 5, 2021


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Can The News Be Any More Surprising?

Mike And Mary

by Brett Matthew West


INT. AFTERNOON. STUDIO OF THE DAY TIME TALK SHOW THAT'S AMAZING WITH THADDEUS HOLLISTER!

FADE IN:

Thaddeus Holister (Introduces his guests): Unsuccessful, Mike and Mary tried for three agonizing years to conceive a child. Mary, age 32, holds a top level position as the Executive Vice President for Internal Affairs at Willoughby Enterprises. Mike, age 34, operates his own business from home flipping houses. Nothing they attempted worked.

Mike (Casually explains): Fertility medications proved no avail. We tried them all from doctor-prescribed Clomiphene, commonly known as Clomid, to supplements and hormones. Desperate, we even took over-the-counter Black Cohosh. Unexplained infertility persisted and artificial insemination was not the answer.

Mary (Chimes in): Blood work, image testing, and ovulation diagnosis determined nothing. Taking basal body temperatures each morning produced a lengthy chart, but not much more. We inquired about a hysteroscopy to unblock tubes but that was not necessary. There were no scars or blockages discovered.

Mike: We asked what we considered to be the most pertinent questions including what was the success rate for each treatment option? We wanted to know what was the average length of treatment before success could be achieved? And, we wanted to know if there might be anything else that could be done to increase our chances of pregnancy? All of these questions resulted in more stress for us.

MARY: HPV infections were ruled out. We were told these clear up without any additional treatment needed.

MIKE: Genetics did not seem to be the issue. Neither of us ever had radiation therapy or any diseases linked to lower fertility such as diabetes and thyroid problems. We don't take anabolic steroids, illegal drugs, chemotherapy, smoke, or drink excess alcohol.

Mary (Sighs): Medical disorders were eliminated and my egg quality was not damaged or abnormal. Physical examinations and gynecological tests produced no negative findings. In short, there was absolutely no explanation for the problem we experienced in conception. The emotional toll affected both of us in very big ways as you can imagine.

Mike (Looks straight into the camera): One day, out of the blue, Doctor Lassister enteres the exam room with our latest test results in his hand and beams, "Congratulations, twins!"

Mary (Amazed): Image how flabbergasted Mike was by the pediatrician's proclamation.

Mike (Laughs): But, how can I be pregnant? I'm a man?

FADE OUT:



Reactions writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Write a scene in which your main character receives surprising news.


Bare Skin Baby, by Linda Bickston, selected to complement my scene.

So, thanks Linda Bickston, for the use of your picture. It goes so nicely with my scene.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by Linda Bickston at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Brett Matthew West All rights reserved.
Brett Matthew West has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.