General Fiction posted November 4, 2021


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
A tornado is is coming.

The Baker Family

by pookietoo


The Baker family lived in a farmhouse in Tulsa, Oklahoma. They had only lived there for six months. They had a Persian cat named Jasmine.

The tv weatherman predicted there would be a tornado coming in a few hours.  He told them that their safest room during a tornado would be in their basement. They didn't know what it was like to have a tornado. Their house had four bedrooms, a living room, a dining room, a kitchen, attic, and a basement.

When they heard the news, they knew they didn't have much time to prepare. Jasmine seemed to laugh at them by sticking her tongue out. She wondered what they were worried about.

The weatherman said one way to prepare for a tornado was to build an emergency kit. It would contain many supplies.


They knew that they must prepare with the necessary supplies since outside help may not be available. They gathered all of the supplies and put them in the basement.

The children were glad they had everything they needed for an emergency kit. After they had put the emergency kit in the basement, they heard very high winds blowing. They opened up the window and looked outside. They saw a dark greenish sky. Then black storm clouds gathered. All of a sudden they heard the sound of hail. It hailed really hard for about ½ hour. Then they looked outside again. They saw a huge funnel that descended from a cloud. They knew that the funnel would hit the ground at any moment and come straight for their house.

The children and their mother had gone to the basement. Their father was working that day. They heard a crash upstairs. One of the children screamed.  Their mother held her tight. Their mother went upstairs. The tornado had come through their house, but it did little damage. She went back downstairs. The basement was dark and dreary. The rafters  began to creak and sway. Small bits of rock chipped away from the edges of the fieldstone walls.

Then, time seemed to stop. An eerie silence filled the basement. The children looked around. They couldn't find their cat. She had gone upstairs. They decided they would look for her later.



Farmhouse writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
There's a storm coming. Your pet laughs when you start preparing for it.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. pookietoo All rights reserved.
pookietoo has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.