Romance Fiction posted October 31, 2021 Chapters:  ...57 58 -59- 60... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Gabriel gets jealous.

A chapter in the book Football - A Novel

Football Chapter 32 part 1

by barbara.wilkey




Background
After Katherine's husband dies, she struggles raising her four sons by herself. Is Gabriel the father figure the boys never had and the husband she deserves?
Katherine and Gabriel have known each other for 37 days.

ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

Gabriel tapped Jordan's shoulder. "May I butt in?" His eyes met Katherine's and he offered his hand. "Will you dance with me?"

She accepted his hand. "Of course."

As they danced, Jordan watched for a few minutes before going upstairs. "Good night."

Both Gabriel and Katherine said good night and continued, moving closer and closer. Leaning over, Gabriel's kiss lingered. Their dance became two bodies swaying together as they kissed.

Gabriel backed away. "I need to leave." He cleared his throat and exhaled. "Sorry, I'm leaving. I'll come by in the morning." He tapped his thigh. "Come on, Reggie."

Katherine watched him.


TODAY'S POST:

Chapter 32 part 1

Sunday mid-morning, Gabriel and Reggie watched from the sidewalk in front of Katherine's house. He petted the dog's head. "Who's at Katherine's door?" He stared. He gave her a rose. He must know her. What's he want? Why's she smiling? He turned. "Come on. I guess she's busy." They both returned to the pick-up. "Now, what do I do, Buddy?" He had his hand on the ignition key as the man left.

*****
Katherine stood on the porch and studied Gabriel's pick-up. She glanced at the rose. Certainly he's not jealous. As she started toward the pick-up, Gabriel and Reggie got out.

Reggie came up to her. She knelt, hugged the dog's large neck, and adjusted his bib. Her eyes met Gabriel's, as she said, "Good morning. Is there a problem?"

"Why'd there be a problem?"

She stood. "No reason, unless you misinterpreted what you just saw."

"What I saw was a man gave you a rose and you smiled. Did he ask you out?"

Katherine tilted her head. "He did." She took his hand and led him toward the house. "I thanked him, but told him no because I'm in a committed relationship."

"Where'd you meet him?"

"At the coffee shop."

"I'll get my own coffee."

"You're cute when you're jealous, but there's no reason to be." As they walked into the house, her cheeks tinged pink. "Last night your kisses..."

"About that," interrupted Gabriel. "It took every ounce of self-control I had to keep from carrying you to the bedroom..."

"Shh," she interrupted by putting her finger across his lips. She reached up and kissed his cheek.

"Pretending my desires don't exist isn't stopping them."

"I know. The only options I see are to stop seeing each other or give in to them." She stared at him. "I don't want to do either, so I guess we ignore them."

"It's the only acceptable option." He put his hand in the small of her back. "Pancakes for breakfast? What did you say that man's name was?"

Katherine leaned her head against his arm. "Yes, pancakes, and I didn't say his name."

He cocked his head. "Who was he?"

"He's new in town and a lawyer; Melton Ivory. I'm not avoiding the coffee shop." She went into the kitchen. "First batch will be ready in a few minutes. I've already made the batter."

*****
After the boys had eaten, Gabriel and Katherine walked toward the pick-up. Katherine stopped and pointed. "Those weren't there last week."

"The reason I was a little late getting to your place after the track meet was I had the running boards and steps added." He grinned. "I noticed you had a little trouble getting in and out."

"Thank you, but you didn't need to do that."

Gabriel opened the back seat and removed a ladder. "In case you need to get something from the bed and can't reach."

"That's really sweet. Thank you."

"I have my moments." He opened the door for her and as he closed it he muttered under his breath, "But I'm not a lawyer, only a jock."

After Gabriel turned the key, Katherine put her hand over his. "I don't want a lawyer. I want you."

He nodded.

As Gabriel got the grocery cart, he grinned. "No strategy, right?"

Katherine held up a paper. "I have a list." She paused. "Last week we didn't know we were having a movie marathon until after grocery shopping."

"I'll give you that one," he teased.

"I wrote menus but never asked if there was anything you'd like or anything you don't like."

"I'm not picky. I like all food. I've enjoyed everything you've fixed." He picked up a large container of coffee. "Can never have too much coffee."

She shook her head. "I'm beginning to realize that."

At the checkout counter, Katherine rushed to the cashier. "I'm paying. Do not allow Gabriel to pay."

The young lady grinned. "Yes, Ma'am."

After Katherine headed toward the door, Gabriel handed the cashier a paper. "I need these groceries delivered to," he pointed, "this address at four-thirty."

"No problem, Coach."

The boys helped carry in groceries while Katherine put them away. When Gabriel brought in the last bag, Katherine asked, "What time is Mr. Elder coming? Should I see if Mom can watch the boys?"

"Two o'clock. I think he needs to see how well-adjusted the boys are."

"Good idea, it'll be good for him to see your relationship with them. He needs to know you're a positive role model so he knows what he's fighting for."

Gabriel put his arm around her shoulder and squeezed. "Thank you. I needed to hear that today."


~~~~~~
I want to thank those of you who have expressed concern and have asked about my broken wrist. I'm improving little by little. I get discouraged because I want to see improvement faster. I am faithfully doing my rehab. My ability to type using my left hand is lasting longer each day before I have to ice.
~~~~~~

CHARACTERS:

Katherine Riley: age 33 - widowed: husband died 6 months ago. She moved to Texas from NYC with her four sons. She teaches high school math and also coaches girls cross country.

Daisy: Katherine's yellow Labrador

Gabriel Hudson: High School football coach and former NFL defensive lineman

Reggie: a very large English Mastiff

Jeremy: Katherine's six year old son. He's in first grade.

Jordan: Katherine's fifteen year old son. He's a sophomore.

Joshua Katherine's thirteen year old son. He's in 8th grade

Joel Katherine's eleven year old son. He's in 6th grade.

Paul Edwards: High School principal and Gabriel's friend.

Rodney Frost: Math department head, at least for now.

Angie Brooks Math teacher and Katherine's friend.

Frank Collins Math teacher.

Rebecca and Harold Hudson Gabriel's parents

Sarah and Bob Beck Katherine's parents, Bob is deceased

Alan Green an Assistant Principal

Sandy Frost Rodney Frost's wife

Sam Auto repair shop owner

Bill Brooks Assistant football coach, Gabriel's friend, and Angie's husband.

Harold Hudson Gabriel's dad and football announcer.

Sandy Teenage girl on cross country team.

Judy Teenage girl on cross country team.

Rhonda Morgan Teenage girl on cross country team, and victim of dating violence.

Mr. and Mrs. Morgan Rhonda's parents.

Kenny Clark Teenager - Rhonda's boyfriend

Grace Former friend of Gabriel and featured in porn magazine

Janette & Jackson Riley Katherine's in-laws

Dr. Martin Jordan's doctor

Troy Elder Lawyer and friend of Gabriel from his pro-football days

UIL The University Interscholastic League exists to provide educational extracurricular academic, athletic, and music contests. The UIL was created by The University of Texas at Austin in 1910 and has grown into the largest inter-school organization of its kind in the world.

Melton Ivory Lawyer and possible new suitor for Katherine




Recognized


Thank you Google images for sharing a photo of a red rose bud. I also want to thank everybody for the helpful reviews. This novel is not actually about football, but is part of the background. High football is a national pastime in Texas. This post is a little under 800 words. Next weeks is longer and it was just too long to post on FS if I didn't break the two up. Thank you for having patience.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.