Mystery and Crime Fiction posted October 31, 2021 Chapters:  ...12 13 -14- 15... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A game of cat and mouse...

A chapter in the book Revenge

Revenge - Chap 14

by Begin Again




Background
A member of the crime team is drawn into a diabolical scheme by an ex-con, Vito Moretti, who spent eight years in prison for a crime he didn't commit. Upon his release, he set out to get revenge.










Samantha leaned over and inhaled the roses. “This apricot rose is stunning. What’s it called, Scarlett?”
 
Marian’s head jerked toward the veranda and then back to Sam. “Are you crazy? Why would you use that name?”
 
“Well, you are Scarlett Marian Carrington, aren’t you?” Samantha laughed at Marian’s scowl. “Excuse me, but that’s what I’ve called you for the last thirty years.”
 
“Shush, Sam. You never know who is listening. Change the subject, please.” Marian replaced the frown with a smile. “We call the beautiful rose Honey Perfume. It’s one of my favorites because it has such a delicate aroma like an exquisite perfume.”
 
“It’s gorgeous, just like the southern belle you have become.”
 
“O heavens, must you persist? I believe naming you after a witch was perfect. You are so devious. My mother lived and breathed Gone with the Wind and Rhett Butler.”
 
“I must tell you, I’m impressed by how you can fool a creep like Vito Moretti. But please be careful.”
 
“I can make mistakes. I’ve got dementia, remember. You, on the other hand, are walking a tightrope. Never forget for a moment that James is a dangerous man.”
 
“Speaking of James, it appears he is standing on the terrace watching us. Maybe we should return before he gets suspicious of our friendship.”
 
“Not to worry. I will take care of everything, dear. You worry about you, okay?”
 
Sam nodded, and the two women strolled back through the garden toward the terrace. Marian leaned against Sam’s arm as they walked closer to James.
 
“Is everything okay, darling? I didn’t expect you to be in the garden that long. Charles brought coffee and pastries and says he’ll bring the omelets if you desire.”
 
“Oh, James, I wanted to see our garden, and I got lost.” She sniffed and wiped her eyes. “Luckily, this young woman found me and brought me back to the house. Please pay her for her troubles.”
 
James looked confused. “But, Marian, darling, Sam is a guest.”
 
“I’m so tired, James.” Marian leaned against his chest and sighed. “Who is this Sam you are talking about?” Marian wavered and clutched her husband’s arm.
 
James kissed Marian’s forehead. “Let me call for Cheryl, darling. I think you need to rest.”
 
“Yes, I need someone to help me.” Marian raised her head and looked at Samantha. “I don’t know your name, but I am grateful for your help.” Marian leaned closer to her husband and whispered, “I believe she’s an angel sent from above. Watch your language, so you don’t offend her.”
 
“I will, darling.” He smiled at Marian. “Look, Charles has come with more coffee. Maybe he can help you.”
 
“Wonderful.” His wife paused and then asked, “Do I live in this wonderful home or do we have to travel? I hope it’s not far if we do.” Marian wiggled her fingers at Samantha and smiled. “Goodbye.”
 
Charles wrapped his arm around Marian’s waist. “It’s not far, Lady Marian. Cheryl will have you snuggled in your bed in just a few minutes.” Marian nodded and allowed Charles to escort her off the veranda.
 
“I’m so sorry. I didn’t know.” Samantha’s sad and troubled face could have won her an Oscar. “I shouldn’t have asked to see the garden.”
 
“It’s not your fault. Seriously, Marian wanted to show you her roses, and nothing would have stopped her. It’s something that happens. One minute she’s my wife, and another moment she becomes someone else or forgets who she is.”
 
“Oh, that’s why she told me her name was Scarlett. I was so confused.” Samantha shook her head. “She’s such a darling but seemed confused.”
 
“She starred as Scarlet Ohara in an off-Broadway play, and now she loves when I become her Rhett. It’s the least I can do for my wife, and it can be quite enjoyable.” An embarrassed smile crept across his face and then disappeared.
 
Samantha moved closer, letting her warm breath sweep across his face. “I misjudged you, James. You aren’t a ruthless entrepreneur. I adore the teddy bear in you.” She pressed her soft lips against his cheek and then spun away. “Forgive me. I have no idea what came over me.”
 
“Nothing to forgive, Samantha.” James brushed her hair to the side and kissed her neck. “You smell delectable.”
 
“Please—call me—Sam.” A pink blush crept across Samantha’s face as she turned around to face him. Her voice was husky. “I believe we are going to become great friends.”
 
“Yes, very—close—friends.” James cleared his throat and pointed to the table. “Let’s continue our conversation with coffee, and you can tell me all about your plans for the two of us.”
 
“Oh, I thought you’d never ask. The more I learn about you, the more I look forward to combining our resources.”
 
James studied Sam over the rim of his coffee cup, expecting her to continue the conversation. Sam nibbled on the corner of a pastry and glanced around the garden. Each one waited for the other to break the silence and end the standoff.
 
“When we met at the bar, you failed to mention the mansion or your wife. I would have dressed a little more appropriately had I known.” Sam leaned down to brush her pant leg, exposing more of her ample breast to James’s devouring eyes.
 
“Nonsense. I think your choice was perfect.” His eyes did a slow waltz across her breasts. Leaning closer, he let his fingers flutter across the soft mounds. “I’m enjoying what I see.”
 
“Maybe someday I could star in one of your movies. I’d be happy to show you the entire lay of the land.” Sam giggled and turned her head away.
 
“Careful girl. I am a married man.”
 
“Yes, you are. A girl can dream though and you seemed different the other night.”
 
James chuckled and raised his coffee cup, saluting her before he drank some of the dark brew. “Touche!”
 
Placing his cup on the table, he added, “I’ve never strayed from Marian, but I, too, like to dream, I guess.”
 
“Tell me, James, what would you say if I told you the possibilities of making millions while following your dream?”
 
“I live in a mansion, my dear. Why would you assume money would impress me?”
 
Sam let her eyes graze around the opulent patio and garden before she focused on James. “Because all men are interested in two things, making more money and having more women.”
 
“You intrigue me. I must admit I want to hear more about your plan, especially if it involves you.”
 
“It’s quite simple. In New Orleans, I worked for a woman who ran a very private and high classed brothel. It was more like a club, I guess. Her ability to maintain confidentiality provided her an impressive income. Personally, I want the opportunity to claim a share of that money.”
 
“Why would you think I would want to be involved with a brothel? Locally, they are a dime a dozen.”
 
“Not a brothel, James. A rich man’s private den where we provide his secret wishes and desires. Use your imagination.” A devilish grin crossed Sam’s face. “What man doesn’t like to indulge in his fantasy and then watch it over and over?”
 
“Miss Withers, if I am following your suggestion, you shock me. Though most of my filming allows my poor, demented wife to relive her dreams, any other business is strictly legit. I’m offended by your belief I would involve myself in such actions.”
 
“My apologies if I have misspoken. I thought—” Sam pushed her chair away from the table and stood. “Never mind. I mistook you for a man who took risks. Thank you for the breakfast, your time, and a view of your fabulous home. I’ll not bother you again.”
 
Flustered by Sam’s icy tone, James realized he’d overplayed his hand in her game of cat and mouse. He knocked the table sideways as he jumped from his chair, sending coffee cups and pastries sprawling across the veranda. “Wait! My words were much sharper than I intended.”
 
Sam continued to walk toward the entrance, ignoring his plea.
 
“Please, let me explain.” James reached out for her arm, but she stepped away.
 
“No need. I doubt I will have any problems finding someone else that might be interested.”
 
“Samantha—Sam. Your suggestion wasn’t anything I’d ever considered. I make movies for my wife’s pleasure and mine.”
 
Sam paused in the doorway before turning to glare at James. “Mr. Carrington, I fear you mistook me for one of your brainless starlets. A mistake I hope you will regret.”
 
“Forgive me. Your idea caught me by surprise. I’m not that type of film director.”
 
“Hm, now that surprises me, since I recognized the garden and the pictures in the hallway. Moretti Productions used them in a few porn movies. Did you or your wife authorize it?” Sam spun around, almost trampling Cheryl as she exited the study. “I’ll see myself out.”
 
Stunned, James stood with his mouth open as she walked away.
 
Bewildered by their guest’s abrupt exit, Cheryl mumbled, “Sorry, sir, Lady Marian says she wants to delay today’s filming.”

“Whatever!” With no further comment, he walked into the garden, wondering how he’d lost the game twice in one day.

 







Characters:
Vito Moretti - a black-hearted ex-con with vengeance in his blood
Charles (Charlie) Dubois - a childhood friend who enjoys living luxuriously
Marian Carrington - a star in her own mind and suffers from dementia
Henry and Tina Pagani - an elderly couple living on St. Simon Island
Cheryl - Personal maid to Lady Marian
Angel Bearrows - a wanna-be actress in the wrong place at the wrong time

Alyssa Shelton (Allie)- Investigative Journalist and unofficial FBI Agent
Jasmine Shelton (Jaz) - wanna-be-movie star and living on the edge of life
Garth Woodman - FBI Agent and Allie's love interest
Hank and Emmy Armato - retired detectives and current Private Investigators
Sheriff Ortiz - Hayden - Napa Valley Police Department
Sheriff Welcher - Savannah, Georgia Police Department
Tango and Poppa - FBI agents who work closely with Garth
Thomas and Selene - Employees at Francine's
Samantha Withers - femme fatale and entrepreneur
Mary Beth Jacobs - deceased waitress and stand-in actress
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Begin Again All rights reserved.
Begin Again has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.