Mystery and Crime Fiction posted October 31, 2021 Chapters:  ...11 12 -13- 14... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Another fly in the ointment...

A chapter in the book Revenge

Revenge - Chap 13

by Begin Again




Background
A member of the crime team is drawn into a diabolical scheme by an ex-con, Vito Moretti, who spent eight years in prison for a crime he didn't commit. Upon his release, he set out to get revenge.




Carrington Manor And Film Studio
 


Charles tapped on the study door. “James, are you expecting anyone?”
 
“You know I don’t bring people to the mansion unless—”
 
“Our charming guest says her name is Samantha Withers. She’s quite beautiful. She says she met you the other evening at Francine’s. Gave me her business card. It says she is the owner of Seeking Arrangements.” Charles raised a quizzical eyebrow and added, “In smaller print, it reads In Millionaire Style.”
 
Smiling, James strummed his pen against the desk for a moment, rolled his eyes upward as if he was studying the ceiling, and then responded, “If she went to the trouble to track me down, I guess we should give her a moment or two. Show her in.”
 
James straightened the papers on his desk and opened his button-downed shirt collar. A smile crossed his face as he remembered their first encounter at Francine’s. “Don’t keep the lady waiting, Charles.”
 
“Yes, sir.” Charles left the study and returned to the foyer to discover their visitor missing. Panic set in when he couldn’t find her outside, nor was she in the library or sitting room. Just as he was about to tell James, Miss Withers strolled in through the veranda doors.
 
“I couldn’t resist the aroma coming from the garden. I had to check it out.” Charles’s anger melted when she smiled at him. “I hope I didn’t upset you.”
 
“No, no, of course not. The gardens are beautiful, and I’m sure it will thrill James to know how much you loved seeing them.”
 
“First, I arrive unannounced, and then I wander into your private gardens without asking. I must apologize for my rudeness.” Samantha reached out and squeezed Charles' hand. Her ruby lips formed a slight pout before she asked, “You forgive me, don’t you?”
 
“Of course. How could one consider their guest rude when the beauty of the garden drew them? Erase the thought from your mind.” Charles could feel his heart beating against the wall of his chest.
 
“But Mr. Carrington might think me aggressive, which I most certainly did not mean to be.”
 
“Don’t worry yourself. We don’t need to mention it at all.” Charles smiled and winked at her. “Come this way. James is waiting in his study.”
 
They walked down the hallway while Samantha stopped to admire the pictures on the wall. At the study doorway, Charles tapped and announced, “Miss Samantha Withers to see you, sir. She was admiring some of the oil paintings in the hall.”
 
James rose from his chair and rounded his desk, offering Samantha a warm smile. “What a surprise! Our meeting was so brief at the restaurant; I’m surprised you even remembered me. Though it’s quite a pleasure to see you.”
 
“You were so charming. How could I not remember you?” Samantha ran the tip of her tongue across her lips and then pursed them together into a tiny kiss, knowing Charles was still standing behind her. “You have a beautiful home. The aroma of the flower garden was so sensual. I can imagine enjoying a glass of merlot by the fountain.”
 
James glanced at Charles and then returned his smile to Samantha. “Oh, did Charles show you the garden before he brought you to the study?”
 
“Oh, I didn’t mean to give the impression that I’d been in the garden. I often let my imagination run away with me.” She turned and tilted her head toward Charles. “He was the perfect gentleman, bringing me directly to your study.” She winked at Charles before walking around James to look out the window. “My, what a beautiful view you have from your desk. And look, there is a fountain, just like I imagined, but far more romantic.”
 
“Thank you, Charles. I’ll let you know if we need anything else.”
 
Charles reached to close the study door when another female voice startled him. He jumped and almost knocked Lady Marian to the floor.
 
Laughing, she swept past Charles, making a grand entrance into the study. “You’d think you’d seen a ghost or something worse, Charles. It’s simply me in search of my husband.”
 
Not accustomed to seeing Marian so early, James took a moment to recover from the shock. “Oh, what a surprise, dear.” He hastily buttoned his shirt. “Nothing’s wrong, is it?”
 
Ignoring James, Marion crossed the room to Samantha, reaching out to take her hand but never removing her eyes from the brown ones staring back at her. “Darling, you didn’t tell me we were having company. I would have worn something a bit more appropriate.”
 
“It’s a beautiful peignoir. The color brings out the blue in your eyes. I remember watching films with the leading actresses posed on their lounge chairs or waltzing around the room, swishing the silky fabric, accenting their sex appeal and beauty. It suits you very well.”
 
“Hmm—our guest is a lady of taste, I see.” Marian turned sideways so she could see James as well. “Excuse my husband’s lack of manners. I am Lady Marian, and I welcome you to our home.” Turning back to Samantha, she smiled and asked, “And you are?”
 
“I’m honored to meet you, Lady Marian. I’m Samantha Withers, a struggling, working girl. Please call me Sam; all my friends do.”
 
“Ooh, a working girl. Are you going to star in one of James’s movies?” Marian appeared to be flustered and walked to the window. “I usually play the lead, but maybe my husband is thinking of expanding his flock.”
 
Samantha closed the few steps between them and wrapped her arm around Marian’s waist. “Oh, I could never take your place. I’m not star-material like you are.”
 
Marian’s eyes met Sam’s, and she smiled. “You’re such a dear.”
 
“To be honest, I hoped to interest your husband in a business deal I’m toying with. I’m always looking for ways to expand.”
 
“How interesting, Samantha. I mean Sam.” Marian crossed the room and took her husband’s arm. “James and I were about to partake in a little breakfast in the garden. It’s stunning at this time of the year. Would you like to join us?”
“Oh, I couldn’t impose on your time together. I can come back another time.”
 
“Nonsense, Sam. I’m always interested in my husband’s work. I’d love to hear your ideas.” Marian looked at James. “Darling, please invite our guest.”
 
“Oh—uh—of course. Please, Miss Withers, my wife and I would be honored if you would join us.”
 
“Thank you. In that case, I skipped breakfast this morning, so I would love to join you and please call me Samantha.” The reference to her full name instead of Sam showed in James’ slight smirk. Giving Marian’s arm a soft squeeze, she added. “I’m eager to see the garden.”
 
“Wonderful.” Marian glided back to Sam’s side and slipped her arm into their guest’s arm. “The garden it is.” She called over her shoulder to James, “Could you ask Charles to serve those delicious pastries he bought yesterday? Or, Sam, would you prefer something more substantial, like an omelet?”
 
“The pastries will be fine. A girl can indulge occasionally, right?” Samantha smiled at James before she waltzed through the terrace doors with her new friend.
 
James scowled as the two women disappeared into the garden before ringing for Charles. He realized not one, but two women, had just dismissed him. He controlled women, not the other way around, especially those who wanted to do business with him.
 
“Okay, Samantha Withers, you may have gotten the upper hand this morning, but beware because I love playing games, especially dangerous ones with beautiful women.”

 



Recognized


Characters:
Vito Moretti - a black-hearted ex-con with vengeance in his blood
Charles (Charlie) Dubois - a childhood friend who enjoys living luxuriously
Marian Carrington - a star in her own mind and suffers from dementia
Henry and Tina Pagani - an elderly couple living on St. Simon Island
Cheryl - Personal maid to Lady Marian
Angel Bearrows - a wanna-be actress in the wrong place at the wrong time

Alyssa Shelton (Allie)- Investigative Journalist and unofficial FBI Agent
Jasmine Shelton (Jaz) - wanna-be-movie star and living on the edge of life
Garth Woodman - FBI Agent and Allie's love interest
Hank and Emmy Armato - retired detectives and current Private Investigators
Sheriff Ortiz - Hayden - Napa Valley Police Department
Sheriff Welcher - Savannah, Georgia Police Department
Tango and Poppa - FBI agents who work closely with Garth
Thomas and Selene - Employees at Francine's
Samantha Withers - femme fatale and entrepreneur
Mary Beth Jacobs - deceased waitress and stand-in actress
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Begin Again All rights reserved.
Begin Again has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.