Mystery and Crime Fiction posted October 24, 2021 Chapters:  ...6 7 -8- 9... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The search for Jaz leads to another body

A chapter in the book Revenge

Revenge - Chap 8

by Begin Again




Background
A member of the crime team is drawn into a diabolical scheme by an ex-con, Vito Moretti, who spent eight years in prison for a crime he didn't commit. Upon his release, he set out to get revenge.








From their first meeting at the airport, Garth had a bad vibe from Sheriff Welcher, but this early morning standoff in the Sheriff’s office was beyond irritating.
 
A defiant Sheriff Welcher snarled, “I’ve got better things to do than stand here and argue with you.” He shuffled through some papers on his desk, dismissing any further conversation with Garth. “I believe you know your way out.”

Garth fought to control his anger, but he had more to say, even if the Sheriff didn’t want to hear it. “Listen, Sheriff—”

“No, you listen, Woodman, this is my town and my department. The woman isn’t the one you’re looking for, so I believe your part, in this case, is closed.”

“Don’t you think it is suspicious that your men found Jaz’s effects at the scene, especially since the woman isn’t Jaz?” 
 
“There were a lot of people on that beach. Maybe she dropped them when she was running after the explosion?” The Sheriff shrugged and continued to read some papers on his desk.
 
“Someone wanted us to believe the woman was Jaz. Why? Aren’t you even a little curious?”

“Pretty elaborate for a hoax, don’t you think?” Welcher raised his eyes from the papers and smirked. “It’s not Hollywood, after all.”

“I’m not saying it’s a hoax. We don’t have enough information either way. Someone sent Allie a video involving her sister being shot, and then your department discovered Jaz’s things by the body. To me, that’s more than a coincidence.”

“Listen, Woodman; it looks like a tragic accident on the beach to me. Our forensic team will do their best to identify the remains, but we know it’s not Jasmine Shelton.”

“Was the woman shot? What happened?” Garth shook his head. “Is that how you close cases down here?”

“I don’t know how they run things in Washington D.C., but I don’t need you to tell me how to run my department. Initial reports indicate our victim was intoxicated and most likely stumbled and fell into the bonfire. Reports say there was an explosion of cans, whipping cream cans, I believe. Someone probably startled her; she lost her balance and fell. It’s unfortunate, but it’s not a crime.”

Garth snarled, “You aren’t even going to consider foul play?”

“There’s no need. It’s an annual frat party that gives the residents of St. Simon Island a great deal of money. Revenue they count on to get them through till next spring. The last thing they want is adverse publicity. The story of a tragic accident will blow over, but murder will not.”

“What about the girl? Doesn’t she deserve a proper investigation?” Garth wanted to grab the man by his shirt collar and shake him.
 
“Which is what we gave her.” The Sheriff glared across his desk at Garth. “Go back from where you came from and leave our town alone.”

Before Garth could explode, the telephone on Welcher’s desk rang. Turning his back on Garth, the Sheriff answered the phone. “Sheriff Welcher.”

He listened to the person on the other end and then hung up the phone. He stared out the window, not turning to look at Garth. The clock on the shelf sounded like a ticking time bomb.
 
“Well, Sheriff, I’m sorry my team and I have taken up your time. We’ll be hanging around town for a few days. Maybe we can locate the missing Shelton sister. If any information comes your way, I would appreciate it if your department could let us know.”

When the Sheriff didn’t turn around, Garth opened the office door to leave. “Give my condolences to the family, or don’t they do that around here either?”

Welcher turned and glared at Garth. Sparks shot from his eyes as he pressed his lips together like a vise. He looked past Garth into the outer office and then spoke, “That was forensics on the phone. They found a bullet wound.” The Sheriff hesitated and reluctantly added, “Guess we’ve got a murder.”

Controlling his ‘I told you so smirk,’ Garth nodded. “Good luck on your case, Sheriff. I’ve got a missing girl to find.” He pulled the door closed and walked out of the department.
 
“Lesson 101. You’re only as good as the evidence you collect, Welcher.”

***********
 
 
Out on the street, Garth checked in with his team. Tango snapped open his cell on the first ring.
 
“Hello, boss, I hear the Sheriff wasn’t too accommodating this morning.” Tango chuckled into the phone.
 
“How in the heck would you know that, Tango? Are you tailing me or something? I just walked out of his office.” Garth looked up and down the street, but he didn’t recognize anyone.
 
“I’d like to say it was ESP, but actually, Hank was on the phone with one of his old pals from his detective days. Guess the walls are pretty thin in the department.”

“And news travels fast, I guess. Someone murdered the girl and left Jaz’s stuff on the beach, but why?”

“Yeah, good question. So, where do we go from here? Hank says he thinks we should start hitting some of the film studios with pictures of Jaz.”

“That’s a good idea. Somebody might know where Jaz lives or where she hangs out. We’ve got to find a connection somewhere. She told Allie she’d be a star regardless of what it took to get there. That tells me she might have been taking some risky chances.”

“I’ll get a stack of photos made and a list of film studios in the area. We can divide into groups and start canvassing. Burn some shoe leather.”

“Sounds like a starting place. I’ll head back as soon as I stop at the rental and see how Allie’s doing.”

*************
 
 
As Garth walked toward his car, his cell rang again. It was Hank.

“Hey, as soon as you left Welcher’s office, they got a hit on one of Jaz’s credit cards. A woman bought an early morning breakfast at a small diner in the Mission District.”

“Was it Jaz? Any idea where this Mission District is?” Garth questioned Hank.
 
“Sarge will let me know if there’s any camera footage. He was on his way there. Emmy is searching her phone as we speak for the area.”

“It’s only about ten blocks from here, Hank. Tell Garth we will cruise the area.” Emmy grabbed her purse and headed toward the door. “Come on, time’s a-wasting, and your phone travels with you, remember.”

“Emmy’s on her way out the door, Garth. I’ll call you as soon as we learn something.” Hank shoved his cell into his pocket and hurried to catch up with his wife. “Slow down, woman.”

“Nope, my adrenalin is flowing, old man. Either keep up or find you a rocking chair.” Emmy laughed and blew a kiss across the roof of the Mercedes. “Just kidding.”

As Emmy closed the car door, Hank hit the gas pedal and left some rubber on the street. Emmy’s hand flew into the air.
 
“Oops, the gas pedal stuck.” Glancing sideways at Emmy, he added, “Just kidding.”

*************
 
Eight blocks later, the Mercedes sat idling behind a long line of cars. “Not the area I would expect a traffic jam. Just our luck, there must be an accident or something.”

Emmy leaned her head out the window. “You’re probably right. I see red and blue lights flashing up ahead. Another block or two, I think. Maybe you can turn around or turn at the light.”

“Why don’t you jump out and get a better look.”
 
“Good idea.” Emmy climbed out of the car and stepped onto the sidewalk. She walked to the corner to get a better view and headed back to Hank.
 
Sticking her head through the window, she shook her head. “We better turn around if we can. There’s a lot of police cars down there. Must be a nasty accident.”

“Get in.” Hank grimaced. “It’s not an accident. Sarge just called. I don’t have any details, but they found a woman’s body wearing a locket engraved with Jaz’s name.”

“We’re not leaving, are we?” Emmy grabbed her cell phone. “Did you call Garth?”

“Nope, I just got off the phone with Sarge. You call him, and I’ll find a place to park.” The opposite side of the street was empty, and Hank made a u-turn, looking for the first available spot.

 



Recognized


Characters:
Vito Moretti - a black-hearted ex-con with vengeance in his blood
Charles (Charlie) Dubois - a childhood friend who enjoys living luxuriously
Marian Carrington - a star in her own mind and suffers from dementia
Henry and Tina Pagani - an elderly couple living on St. Simon Island
Cheryl - Personal maid to Lady Marian
Angel Bearrows - a wanna-be actress in the wrong place at the wrong time

Alyssa Shelton (Allie)- Investigative Journalist and unofficial FBI Agent
Jasmine Shelton (Jaz) - wanna-be-movie star and living on the edge of life
Garth Woodman - FBI Agent and Allie's love interest
Hank and Emmy Armato - retired detectives and current Private Investigators
Sheriff Ortiz - Hayden - Napa Valley Police Department
Sheriff Welcher - Savannah, Georgia Police Department
Tango and Poppa - FBI agents who work closely with Garth
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Begin Again All rights reserved.
Begin Again has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.