Mystery and Crime Fiction posted October 21, 2021


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
When Police Work Becomes A Family Affair

Family Affair

by Brett Matthew West


"Tony, there's a Wild West adage you must get back up on the cayuse that throwed you," I said to the Director of Forensics for the Portland Police.

I'd been in town a couple days. The time flew by and seemed like five minutes.

"You know your whole family is pissed off at you for abandoning them again and joining this hunt for Burlington," Tony reminded me.

I replied, "Yeah all of them including my wife, Carolyn, my kids Bobby and Susan, and my new flame, Ismarelda. Que sera sera. I know they all want me to get out of detective work. Maybe after we nail this slimeball I'll take them up on their offer. Sometimes a man needs to do what is best for all concerned."

Usually macho conservative to the max, Tony hatched a plan I agreed might be our best chance. The question remained if Burlington was still in the City of Roses? None of us knew for sure. All we understood was we had to nail his hide to the nearest wall. Pronto!

"We need to re-examine his fourth floor apartment one more time," I said.

"There's reminders of what the scumbag did to Mary all over the place," Tony replied.

"As my son would say maybe we'll find a revelation," I responded.

An overwhelming feeling lingered inside the apartment. Pictures of the deceased hung in every room. By my count, at least four dozen of them.

"How can Burlington stand to have Mary's photo staring at him?" I wondered.

"How could he have committed such an atrocious murder?" Tony countered.

"Maybe he feels no guilt, no sadness, nothing? Perhaps his life is a torture he can't escape from? Or, maybe the opposite rings true? Who is he, Mary?" I asked moving from room to room.

Being a parent, and raising kids, is a lot more enjoyable than chasing nutcases like Burlington.

"You think he's that crazy?" Tony asked.

"More so," I replied opening the master bedroom door.

Burlington laid on the bed. He held a stiletto in his hand.

"It's over. All good things must end," he told me.

I yelled at him, "No, I want you alive!"

"Watch out! The stiletto!" Tony hollered.

Burlington struggled to escape my grasp. Tony fired from point-blank range. The deafening explosion rocked the room. Burlington convulsed wildly on the floor. I knew the chase was over.

Tony told me, "Go home. There's no more excitement in this line of work for you. Your family needs you now."

Unsure of what my future held, I returned to Seattle.



~ Family Story ~ writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
*Read All Rules*
Write a FICTIONAL story that involves a family. The word length is 500 words or less. Do NOT write about, or refer, to Halloween in any way--no witches, bats, zombies, trick-or-treating for example. ThIs is NOT a Halloween story. You may use 1 picture that has no words, animation, or music, one color font with one color background, dedication line (optional) which doesn't count in word length, and author notes that may include 1 video (may have sound/music).


Standing Tall, by Bill Bistak, selected to complement my story.

So, thanks Bill Bistak, for the use of your picture. It goes so nicely with my story.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by Bill Bistak at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Brett Matthew West All rights reserved.
Brett Matthew West has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.