Mystery and Crime Fiction posted October 20, 2021 Chapters:  ...4 5 -6- 7... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Identifying the Body....

A chapter in the book Revenge

Revenge - Chap 6

by Begin Again




Background
A member of the crime team is drawn into a diabolical scheme by an ex-con, Vito Moretti, who spent eight years in prison for a crime he didn't commit. Upon his release, he set out to get revenge.






As the jet’s landing gear touched down on the runway at the Savannah/Hilton Head International Airport, Garth whispered to Allie, “Time to wake up, my love. We’ve landed.”

His arm was numb from holding her the entire trip, but he hadn’t the heart to bring her back to reality until they touched the ground. Learning the possibility of her sister’s tragic death had broken her spirit, exposing a side of Allie he’d never seen. Her feistiness and quick wit disappeared, and all that remained was a broken shell resembling the woman he knew he loved.
 
Allie lifted her ravaged face to look at Garth. The grief in her eyes was more than he could bear. Knowing words wouldn’t heal those wounds, he hugged her and kissed her cheek, simply whispering, “Just lean on me, Allie.”

A line of cars waited on the tarmac, followed by a shiny blue Mercedes. Garth could see a few familiar faces through the small jet window, including Hank’s and Emmy’s. He was thankful that Emmy could be by Allie’s side today. Garth spotted a sheriff’s car parked a few feet away and assumed either Sheriff Welcher or someone from the department was there as well. He hadn’t expected a welcoming committee. He’d have preferred to remain off the radar until he had more information, especially if Allie’s life was at risk.
 
“Allie, please remain on the plane until I come back to get you. You need to keep a low profile until we know what’s going on.”

“I will not hide,” Allie snapped as she brushed a few strands of red hair from her face. Garth smiled because he saw a glimmer of his Allie sparking from her beautiful green eyes.
 
“No one asked you to hide, Allie. Let’s play it safe until we know more about what’s going on, okay?”

Allie took a deep breath and closed her eyes for a moment before staring directly at Garth. “If it was okay for me to take risks to save Cassidy’s life, it is more than okay for me to protect my sister and my life. I understand you want to be in control, but it’s my life.” She sighed, “I’m sure you can understand how shocked and scared I was; well, I still am, but now it’s time to uncover whoever is behind it. I can do it, Garth, with or without you at my side.”

“I know you can, but—” Garth reached for her hands.
 
“No, stop right there.” Allie could see fear in his eyes, something she’d never seen in him before now. “Garth, I know you want to protect me, but you can’t change who I am. I can do this; I have to do this for Jaz and—and for me, too.”

“Okay, as long as you think you can do it, I won’t stop you. Just promise we’ll work together. No secrets.” He bent down and kissed her lips. “Promise?”

Allie crossed her fingers as she murmured, “Promise.” Garth saw her hand tucked next to her leg and grimaced. Now he knew what to expect.
 
“Allie, this isn’t a game. These people are playing for keeps. How do I make you understand?”


*************
 
 
After leaving the plane and exchanging greetings, Sheriff Welcher asked for a private moment with Garth. The two men stepped out of hearing distance from the group before he addressed the uncomfortable topic, identifying the body.
 
“Miss Shelton doesn’t look too good. Is she up to doing this right now, or do we need to put it off?”

“Allie’s had a rough night, but she says she can do it. The sooner we know, the quicker we can get our investigation started.”

Sheriff Welcher’s easy-going demeanor and friendly smile slipped for a moment. “Please remember, this murder isn’t an FBI case. My department can handle it, and we will be happy to keep you informed.”

“Not to get off on the wrong foot, Sheriff, but someone shot at Allie and me last night. We were watching a video of her sister Jaz who appeared to be shot as well. That shooting makes every case connected to it an FBI case. I’m not trying to step on anyone’s toes, but this is personal, and my team and I will follow every available lead. We can either work together or not. It’s your choice.”

Welcher didn’t like Garth’s tone or stony stare, but he recognized when he was on the losing end. He nodded his answer and then walked toward his car, adding, “You can follow me if you’d like or find the way on your own. It’s your call.”

Garth observed the sheriff’s defiant gait as he walked away, then he yelled, “We’ll follow you.” He made a mental note to learn more about Sheriff Welcher before he shared any information. He didn’t expect him to be an adversary, but he’d learned to be careful.
 
Tango closed the tailgate as Garth approached. “Everything’s loaded, boss.”

“Good, because I believe our sheriff might try to lose us in his dust.” Garth glanced at the police car as it moved toward the gate exit.
 
“Really? He seemed like a friendly enough guy.” Tango laughed. “Did he have a problem with your charming attitude?”

“Let’s say Sheriff Welcher thought he was going to be the only game in town. And I set him straight.” Garth’s grim face said everything necessary.
 
“Oh, I bet you did!” Tango waved toward the team. “Everyone go check-in while we go to the morgue.”

Garth opened the door for Allie, and she slid across the seat. Tango climbed into the driver’s seat. “Buckle up. It looks like the sheriff is leaving us behind, but I’ve been practicing California driving so that we won’t have a problem.”

They all laughed as Tango gave the SUV some gas and shot across the tarmac, quickly closing the distance between the sheriff’s car and theirs.

*************
 
 
The trip from the airport to the Chatham County Medical Examiner’s office was uneventful. Inside, the group met the coroner from the Georgia Bureau of Investigation, who would complete the actual autopsy, and then an officer escorted them to the morgue.
 
As the automatic doors opened, Allie shivered from the cool air in the stark, white hallway. Garth wrapped his arm around her and gave a quick hug. At the far end of the hallway, a woman in a long white lab coat waited.
 
“Hello, I am Betty Jenkins, the Medical Examiner.” She extended her hand to Allie and then Garth. “I’m sorry to put you through such a grueling task.”

“I’m an investigative journalist and Garth’s FBI. Both of us have seen the worst before now.” Allie appeared to be confident and in control of her emotions.

Betty smiled and gently squeezed Allie’s arm. “I am sure you have, dear, but identifying a family member, especially one who has been in a fire, is far more difficult, I think. Your emotions get involved.”

Allie swallowed hard and turned away, brushing at the corner of her eyes before turning back to Betty. “I’m ready.”

Betty glanced at Garth before adding, “You are aware our victim’s face and upper body are severely burned, right? My initial examination says she had gasoline tossed on her, but the GBI will confirm that during their examination.”

“Yes, Sheriff Welcher mentioned it.”

Betty turned and pushed the button on the intercom. “Gordon, you can open the curtain, please.”

Allie stared at the glass window as the curtain slid away. A few clumps of flaming red hair were showing from the edge of the sheet covering the body. Allie squeezed her eyes closed and took a deep breath, pressing closer to Garth.
 
When she opened her eyes, Betty nodded to the young man standing beside the body. “You can remove the sheet, Gordon.”

As instructed, Gordon lifted the edge of the sheet and slowly uncovered the woman, exposing her charred face and upper torso. Allie gasped and pressed her face into Garth’s chest, whimpering.
 
“I fully understand if this is too much, Miss Shelton. Would you prefer us to stop?”

“No, I have to know if it’s Jaz. Is there a tattoo on her right leg?”

“Yes, there is. It’s only a partial, but it’s still visible.”

Allie bit her lip, drawing a trickle of blood. “Are there butterflies?”

“Yes, ma’am. Two butterflies are fluttering around what appears to be roses, I believe.”

Garth held Allie tight against his chest. “You don’t have to look, Allie. I can do it for you.”

“No, she’s my sister.” Allie turned her head, opened her eyes, and moved closer to the glass. “The writing, it’s not clear. What does it say?”

 
Garth stared at the victim’s leg and took a deep breath before answering, “It says Jaz.”

Tears streamed down Allie’s face. She shook her head. “It’s not her. It’s not Jaz.”

“Are you sure, Allie? It says her name.”

Allie lifted her pant leg, exposing a similar tattoo on her leg, including the name Jaz. “The tattoo on Jaz’s leg read Allie, not Jaz. We got them together. That’s not my sister’s body.”

Relief washed over Allie. Unable to stop her tears, she walked away, struggling to compose herself. She asked herself, “Jaz, where are you?”





GBI - Georgia Bureau of Investigation
This department does the actual autopsy while the Medical Examiner does the initial examination and the paperwork involved. The current medical examiner says it’s rarely like what we see on television.

 



Recognized


Characters:
Vito Moretti - a black-hearted ex-con with vengeance in his blood
Charles (Charlie) Dubois - a childhood friend who enjoys living luxuriously
Marian Carrington - a star in her own mind and suffers from dementia
Henry and Tina Pagani - an elderly couple living on St. Simon Island
Cheryl - Personal maid to Lady Marian
Angel Bearrows - a wanna-be actress in the wrong place at the wrong time

Alyssa Shelton (Allie)- Investigative Journalist and unofficial FBI Agent
Jasmine Shelton (Jaz) - wanna-be-movie star and living on the edge of life
Garth Woodman - FBI Agent and Allie's love interest
Hank and Emmy Armato - retired detectives and current Private Investigators
Sheriff Ortiz - Hayden - Napa Valley Police Department
Sheriff Welcher - Savannah, Georgia Police Department
Tango and Poppa - FBI agents who work closely with Garth
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Begin Again All rights reserved.
Begin Again has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.