General Fiction posted October 5, 2021


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
The children received ice skates and a fishing pole.

Christmas Surprises

by pookietoo



The Campbell family loved to do things together. There were four girls and two boys. The oldest child was 17, the youngest was 5. They lived in Billings, Montana.

When the children were growing up, they received toy soldiers, trains, books, dolls, puzzles, and bicycles. One Christmas Mr Campbell was out of work. The children gave each other things they no longer wanted or needed. On Christmas Day, the children were excited when they found out an unknown family gave them a pair of ice skates and a fishing pole. Words couldn't express the joy they felt.

In January the Campbell family decided to go ice-skating at a nearby frozen pond. This particular Saturday the snow fell lightly, and the temperature was a frigid ten degrees. The family dressed warmly. The youngest children, Greg and Fred, were the most excited and also nervous about learning how to ice skate. Greg and Fred watched the rest of their family skate around the pond a few times. When they started skating, they fell a couple of times, but they got right back up again and continued to skate. They both excitedly said, "Daddy, I am skating!" The family went ice skating often after that.

The next Saturday the family went to the other nearby frozen pond as soon as the sun came up. It was a lovely day with no snow this time.They wanted to fish for bass so Mr. Campbell attached a lure to each of their poles that looked like a frog to attract the bass. The older children knew how to fish, but Greg and Fred didn't know how to fish yet. Their dad showed them how to cast their poles and reel them in. When they started fishing, each of their mouths opened wide when they saw the big bass they had caught. They shouted, "Daddy, I caught a great big one!" The Cambell family caught many bass that day which Mr. Campbell put into a bucket.

The family never did find out who gave them the pairs of ice skates and the fishing poles that particular Christmas Day. The children decided that the next Christmas they would help make a needy family's Christmas just as special as a mysterious family made theirs.



~ Family Story ~ (fiction) writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
*Read All Rules*
Write a FICTIONAL story that involves a family. The word length is 400 words or less. You may use 1 picture that has no words, animation, or music, one color font with one color background, dedication line (optional) which doesn't count in word length, and author notes that may include 1 video (may have sound/music).
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. pookietoo All rights reserved.
pookietoo has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.