Mystery and Crime Fiction posted September 26, 2021 Chapters:  ...60 61 -62- 63... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A never ending bond - Liz and Faith

A chapter in the book Secrets in the Wind

Secrets in the Wind - Chap 62

by Begin Again




Background
Jack McKinley's recent death appears to be suspicious. The investigation of one crime leads to another and so many other secrets in the wind.
Hank pulled the Jeep into the yard and parked. He’d felt Liz’s nervousness as they drove here, so he’d remained quiet, allowing her to sort out her thoughts and feelings.
 
Liz surveyed the cottage and the land. She smiled when she saw Annie’s fort. “Hank, it’s so beautiful up here.” She took a deep breath. “A place so close to home but so far away. I never knew it existed.”
 
“Liz, honey, don’t be upset. Jack wasn’t keeping anything from you. He only wanted to protect you.” Hank reached over and squeezed her hand. “You and I both know he was a thorough man.”
 
“I know, but if things had been different.”
 
“Liz, forget what could have been because we can’t go back. It’s time to move forward and meet your family, but only if that’s what you want to do. No one wants to force you into anything.”
 
“No, Hank, I want to meet my sister.” Liz’s ponytail bounced back and forth as she shook her head. “That sounds so strange, saying my sister. Does she really look like me?”
 
“Sure does. Except for the hair, it’s like looking in a mirror.” Hank laughed and tugged on Liz’s ponytail. “Be careful. She might want some of this mane.”

“Yeah, how sick is she? It’s going to be a shock to Faith, too. Is she going to be okay?” Liz twisted her hands in her lap. “I don’t want to upset her.”
 
“Faith has good days, and she has bad days. Dr. Copeland saw her this morning, and he says it’s a good one. Faith told him she was excited to meet you. I guess Mary has kept her busy by talking about you to distract her from thinking about Annie while she was missing.”
 
“Oh, heavens, she has had so many problems. They all have. I feel so guilty for feeling sorry for myself. I couldn’t blame them if they hate me.”
 
“Stop it, Liz. They are eager to meet you. Shall we get out of the car, or do you want to sit here all day?”
 
“Thanks for being there for me, Hank. Jack certainly knew how to pick his friends.” She leaned over and kissed his cheek before turning to open the door. “Let’s go.”
 
The minute Liz’s boots touched the ground, Annie and Sebastian stormed through the screen door, running toward them. Annie wrapped her arms around Liz, laughing, “You look like my mommy.”
 
Liz knelt and returned Annie’s hug. “Do I?”

“Yup! She’s beautiful, and so are you.” Annie’s eyes sparkled in the sunlight.

She turned to Sebastian, sitting patiently behind her. “Oh, I almost forgot. Meet my best friend, Sebastian.” She motioned toward the St. Bernard. “Come say hello, Sebastian.”
 
In seconds, the playful pup rushed forward, tipping Liz off balance. As she fell to the ground, Sebastian offered friendly dog kisses to her face.
 
“Sebastian!” Annie squealed. “Stop! You’re getting her dirty.” The little girl tugged on his collar. “Sebastian, stop.”
 
Mary came out on the porch and yelled, “Sebastian.” The overgrown puppy stopped licking and allowed Liz to sit up. His tail swished and brushed across her face as he turned toward Annie. Laughing, Hank offered his hand to Liz and helped her from the ground.
 
“I am so sorry. He got you dirty.” Mary frowned at the pup. “Annie put him on the chain.”
 
“Aww, Nana Mary, he hates to be on the chain.” Annie scowled at her grandmother.
 
“He can’t be knocking our guests into the dirt, Annie. Apologize for your dog’s actions.”
 
Annie tilted her head back so she could look at Liz’s face. The sparkles in the little girl's eyes were gone. “I’m sorry Sebastian knocked you over. He was too excited.”
 
Liz took Annie’s hand and held it. “I was excited to meet you and him, too. So it’s fine. If it’s okay with your Nana, I don’t mind if he isn’t chained.”
 
“Really?” Annie spun around to face Mary. “She says Sebastian doesn’t have to be chained. Please don’t make me, Nana?”
 
Mary smiled and laughed. “You and that dog are incorrigible, child.”
 
“What’s incorjabowl?” The young girl scrunched up her face. “Does it mean we’re bad?”
 
Liz‘s eyes brimmed with love for the little girl. “Of course not, honey. It means you and Sebastian are too cute for words.”
 
“Annie, are you going to introduce me to your new friend?”
 
Liz heard the voice and raised her eyes to the porch. She turned to face her identical twin. The blood pumped wildly through her, and she felt her chest muscles tighten. Her throat constricted as she struggled with the overwhelming emotions flooding through her body. Her eyes met Faith’s, and a flood of tears spilled down her face. Liz’s first cautious steps were slow, but then she raced across the space that separated them. At the foot of the steps, she stopped, tipping her head toward Faith. Her words came in gulps between the tears. “Is—it—alright?”
 
Tears streamed down Faith’s face, too. She nodded. “You didn’t need to ask.” Liz stepped onto the porch and wrapped her arms around her twin. Both women buried their faces into the other’s shoulder and wept.
 
When Faith wobbled, Mary rushed to her side. “Faith, please sit in your rocker. Liz, you can sit in the one next to her.” Mary turned to Hank. “Would you mind walking with me for a few minutes? We’ll give them a moment to talk.”
 
Hank looked at the two women and then at Mary. “I’d love to take a walk with you, Mary.” He extended his hand to her, and she stepped off the porch, taking one last look at her daughters.
 
Her eyes watered, and she brushed it away. “I never dreamt that this day would ever happen. God is good, Hank. Annie’s safe at home and my two daugh—” Her hand flew to her mouth, and she pressed it against her lips. Hank wrapped his arms around Mary’s shoulders and hugged her tight.
 
“Your family is back together, Mary. The Lord has blessed all of you. I am so happy for you.”
 
“My family.” Mary lifted her head from Hank’s chest and looked at him. “Thank you for helping all of us. You and Emmy will always be a part of our family.”
 
“I couldn’t think of anything better.”
 
 
Liz and Faith watched their common bond walk away with Hank; for a moment, it felt awkward. They held each other’s hands without speaking, hoping to calm their emotions.
 
A western fence lizard scurried across the porch floorboards, chasing a spider. As it raced past their feet, a chill spiraled down both girls’ spines. Simultaneously, they both shuddered and tucked their feet under their chairs. Their laughter erupted, and the mountain of tension disappeared.
 
They shared stories of growing up, broken hearts and old boyfriends, getting married, and things they loved. They laughed till their sides split and cried till they couldn’t cry anymore. To both of them, it seemed as if they’d been together all their lives. They liked the same foods, movies, music, and books. They hated the same as well.
 
As Faith grew tired, Mary and Hank returned from their walk with Annie and Sebastian.
 
“I’m sorry to break up this wonderful party, but it’s time for Faith’s medicine, and she looks like she might need a nap.”
 
“You worry too much. I’m fine.” Faith slapped playfully at Mary’s arm. “We’ve so much to catch up on.”
 
“No, she’s right, Faith.” Liz bent over and hugged her sister. “We have plenty of time to talk.” Her eyes met Faith’s eyes, and they stared at each other. Liz fought back her tears. “Oh, I’m sorry.”
 
“Stop it! There’s nothing to be sorry about.” Faith kissed Liz’s tear-stained cheek. “I’m thrilled God has given us whatever time we have. I will not waste it feeling sorry for myself, and neither are you.”
 
“You’re right!” Liz forced a smile. “I’ll pray for a miracle, but till then, we’ll make the most of the days we have. I’ll be back tomorrow if that’s okay?”
 
“It’s more than okay. We’ll be expecting you for lunch if that sounds good.” Mary smiled. “I’ll make chicken pot pie in fresh-baked bread bowls if you like.”
 
In unison, both girls chimed, “My favorite.” They shared another round of laughter before they said their goodbyes.
 
Hank couldn’t stop smiling as he and Liz climbed into the Jeep and waved to Liz’s new family. The woman sitting by his side wasn’t the one who had come with him earlier. This one was beaming from ear to ear, and he couldn’t be happier.

 



Recognized


Theodore (Ted) and Meredith Cranston - previous owners of Sweet Haven Estates
Jack McKinley - present owner of Sweet Haven Estates - deceased
Elizabeth (Liz) McKinley - Jack's widow and owner of Sweet Haven Estates
Alyssa Shelton - (Allie) Liz's best friend and an Investigative Journalist
Jasmine (Jaz) Shelton - Allie's younger sister
Darryl Pennington - Estate Foreman for past and previous owners
Mary Hunter - Retired nurse and current caregiver of Faith and Annie
Faith Cranston-Newton - daughter of the Ted and Meredith Cranston
Annie Cranston-Newton - Faith's daughter
Sebastian - the lovable St. Bernard and Annie's companion
Dr. Eugene Copeland - the local physician
Sofia Sanchez - Mason Caldwell's housekeeper
Miguel Sanchez - vineyard supervisor
Jon Saladino - Priest and much more
Cassidy Rotello - assistant of Mason Caldwell
Mason Caldwell - rancher and owner of a gambling casino
Garth Woodman - (Jeremy) Undercover FBI
Hank Armato - Private Investigator
Emmy Armato - Hank's wife and also retired detective
Cynthia - librarian, historian, town gossip, and wanna-be detective
Michael - realtor and Cynthia's nephew
Tango, Poppa, Howard, Pete - FBI agents
Tito - one of Mason's henchmen
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Begin Again All rights reserved.
Begin Again has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.