Mystery and Crime Fiction posted September 26, 2021 Chapters:  ...59 60 -61- 62... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Lives Are Changing

A chapter in the book Secrets in the Wind

Secrets in the Wind - Chap 61

by Begin Again




Background
Jack McKinley's recent death appears to be suspicious. The investigation of one crime leads to another and so many other secrets in the wind.
The study door opened, and Emmy entered and stopped. “Oh, I’m sorry. I thought Hank was in here alone.” She smiled at Garth. “Heard you had a pleasant evening.”
 
Garth arched his brow and smirked. “Really!”
 
“Oh, was it a secret?” Emmy laughed. “Because if it was, someone should wipe the glow off Allie’s face.”
 
“It’s about time, pal.” Hank joined in their conversation. “I thought this case would never get you two together.” Emmy continued into the room till she was standing at Hank’s side. She wrapped her arms around his waist, and he bent and kissed her. “Nothing like starting and ending your day with someone special.”
 
“Let’s not be in any rush, but it was a nice beginning. Life with Allie would never have a dull moment.” A huge grin covered his face from ear to ear.
 
“Speaking of beginnings, have the interrogations begun with Miguel and Sofia yet?” Emmy poured coffee into a mug and settled into a chair.
 
“They have. Miguel has been very cooperative, and I am sure the DA will cut him and his mother a deal if he continues to do so.” Garth smiled. “I want to thank both of you for all the help you’ve provided, working on the case and digging up information.”
 
“Not to mention destroying my car in the active pursuit of criminals.” Hank scowled. “Oh, yeah, and a pair of designer shoes.”
 
“Well, Mr. High-Class, I will do my best to have you reimbursed for your losses. Though the Director used a few choice words when he discovered you drove a Mercedes.”
 
“Oh, Garth, let me assure you Hank’s placed an order for its replacement and added a few more bells and whistles.”
 
“A man must be allowed a few toys.” Hank kissed the top of Emmy’s head and settled into the chair beside her.
 
“Hank tells me you will leave soon. Going back home to Gulf Shores. I thought you might have fallen in love with the wine country.”
 
“You’re right. I have fallen in love with the people and the scenery, but duty calls. Things at home need my attention.” Emmy smiled. “Hank and I have a lot to talk about, I guess. Did he tell you that Liz offered us the land overlooking the valley? My first day, we had a picnic there, and I think I fell in love with the country then.”
 
“We aren’t taking it for free,” Hank growled. “If we decide we want to make a move, I am paying her a fair price.”
 
Garth sighed. “The end of a case and lots of changes will take place. The nurse we’ve had in hiding can come back home and Cassi--"
 
“The nurse?” Emmy’s eyebrows knitted together. “She didn’t die?”
 
“Almost, but being steps away from the doctors proved to be her saving grace. They flushed her system so quickly and administrated the proper antidote, she survived. We transferred her under an unfamiliar name to a hospital in San Diego, where she recuperated. She’s been living the life of a beach bum on the coast for a few weeks.”
 
Emmy looked at Hank. “Did you know? Because if you did and didn’t tell me, you are in so much trouble.”
 
Garth laughed at Emmy’s dramatic effort to be angry. “He’s safe. We kept it under wraps except for the need to know people. Even the San Diego hospital didn’t know where we transferred her from.”
 
“Well, that was probably smart. And now Cassidy says she’s well enough to visit her mother and decide how much she can tell her about Jon.” Emmy pushed her bottom lip into a pout. “It’s going to be strange with everyone gone.”
 
“Well, not everyone is leaving. I’ll be here for a while wrapping up the case, and Allie lives here.”
 
“Yeah, but she mentioned she hadn’t heard from her sister and thought she should visit her out east.”
 
Garth leaned forward in his chair, staring at Emmy. “Allie’s taking a trip?”
 
“Oh, gosh, Garth. I thought she would have told you. We were talking about me leaving, and she just mentioned she had concerns about her sister, Jaz.”
 
“Way to go, Emmy. Breaking the lovebirds up before they even get started.” Hank rolled his eyes at his wife.
 
“No--” Emmy was flustered. “I didn’t think—”
 
“It’s okay, Emmy. Allie can come and go as she pleases. I am sure she will mention it to me.” The cheerful smile disappeared from Garth’s face. “On another note, Darryl tells me you spoke with him, Hank.”
 
Hank glanced at Emmy’s chagrin face and pushed forward with the new topic. “Yes, he is more than happy to stay at the vineyard and build on Jack’s dreams for the winery. There’s the rebuilding of the atrium, and he’ll need to hire a replacement for Miguel.”
 
“Jack knew what he was doing when he took the young man on as foreman. He’s a definite asset to the winery and Liz.”
 
“Of course, there will be a setback, but I am confident Darryl will get the winery back on track. Jack was quite specific with his plans.”
 
Garth stared out the window, lost in thought. Emmy’s comment about Allie was a shock to his system.
 
The ringing of his cell halted Garth’s thoughts of Allie, and he reached for his phone.
 
“Hello.” Garth paced back and forth by the window, muttering an occasional uh-huh or okay. After a few minutes, he told the person on the other end of the line, “I’ll meet you at the locker. Send me the address, and I’ll load it in the GPS.”
 
When he ended the call, he remained in front of the window with a blank stare in his eyes.
 
Emmy asked, “Everything alright, Garth?”
 
“What’s up with a locker? You need me to go with you?” Hank prodded for more details.
 
“Oh, sorry. Too much in my head, I guess.” Garth walked back to stand by Emmy and Hank. “That was Poppa. Miguel found a set of keys at the cabin for several locker units belonging to Mason. We’re going over to check it out.”
 
“If you need me, I’ll go with you.”
 
“Thanks, but Emmy’s leaving, so you should stay with her. It’s just some old lockers. Dirty dumpster diving stuff.”
 
“Oh, that sounds fun.” Allie chirped. She and Liz had entered the study unnoticed. “I’m coming.” She crossed the room and wrapped her arm around Garth’s. “You would not try to leave me behind, would you?”
 
Garth gave Allie a sideways glance. “It’s official business and nothing exciting.”
 
“And I’m officially on the team, right? I’m sure it won’t be as exciting as living in prison, but I’m still game.”
 
“That would be great because I was going to ask Hank to take me to the cottage. I think it’s time for me to meet my sister.”
 
“Oh, Liz, that’s wonderful. I’m thrilled you have decided to see her.” Emmy hugged Liz. “Are you nervous?”
 
“A little. I’ve been so bitter toward Faith and Mary, and they didn’t deserve any of it. I hope they will forgive me.” Liz sighed and tried to smile.
 
“They are a special family, Liz. You’re going to love them, and they’ll love you.” Hank added, “Your biggest shock will be how much Faith looks like you.”
 
“It’s my understanding that Dr. Copeland visits Faith every Thursday, so after his visit today if he okays it and they agree, I would like to meet them.
 
Allie slipped her arm out of Garth’s and returned to Liz’s side, giving her a tight bear hug. “Faith is going to love you. And when you meet Annie—”
 
Hank chimed in, “and her best friend. Sebastian. They are inseparable.”
 
“Yes, prepare yourself to be licked to death. He’s a big baby.” Garth laughed and looked at the message on his phone. “Okay, I’ve got the locker location, so that’s the direction I’m going.”
 
“I’m riding shotgun.”

Garth sighed, and his tone was cool. “If you must.” He left the study with Allie tagging behind.

 



Recognized


Theodore (Ted) and Meredith Cranston - previous owners of Sweet Haven Estates
Jack McKinley - present owner of Sweet Haven Estates - deceased
Elizabeth (Liz) McKinley - Jack's widow and owner of Sweet Haven Estates
Alyssa Shelton - (Allie) Liz's best friend and an Investigative Journalist
Jasmine (Jaz) Shelton - Allie's younger sister
Darryl Pennington - Estate Foreman for past and previous owners
Mary Hunter - Retired nurse and current caregiver of Faith and Annie
Faith Cranston-Newton - daughter of the Ted and Meredith Cranston
Annie Cranston-Newton - Faith's daughter
Sebastian - the lovable St. Bernard and Annie's companion
Dr. Eugene Copeland - the local physician
Sofia Sanchez - Mason Caldwell's housekeeper
Miguel Sanchez - vineyard supervisor
Jon Saladino - Priest and much more
Cassidy Rotello - assistant of Mason Caldwell
Mason Caldwell - rancher and owner of a gambling casino
Garth Woodman - (Jeremy) Undercover FBI
Hank Armato - Private Investigator
Emmy Armato - Hank's wife and also retired detective
Cynthia - librarian, historian, town gossip, and wanna-be detective
Michael - realtor and Cynthia's nephew
Tango, Poppa, Howard, Pete - FBI agents
Tito - one of Mason's henchmen
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Begin Again All rights reserved.
Begin Again has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.