General Fiction posted September 21, 2021


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
One special day with my brother. A memory forever.

One Race / A Lifetime Memory

by Richard Frohm


I have many happy memories thanks to my two older brothers. One in particular I have cherished my whole life.

As I grew up, my oldest brother, Don and I would watch car racing on Saturdays. Don taught me all about car racing and what drivers were the best. We had our favorites. Don liked Junior Johnson. Mine was Richard Petty. He was a great racer, and we shared the same first name.

One memory still vivid was when Don took me to see my first NASCAR race. It was the 1964 Virginia 500 at the Martinsville Speedway. Don was in the navy and stationed in Virginia. We came down to visit him. One of his shipmates had two extra tickets to the race. Our dad wanted to go but made the wise choice to stay with mom.

The drive to Martinsville was all race talk. Our favorite drivers were Richard Petty and Junior Johnson, would be racing.

I can still picture seeing the track as we drove into the parking lot. I could barely control my excitement. Poor Don had to keep telling me to calm down. How could I? My first real car race. My favorite drivers.

It just got better for me when Don and I got to our seats. For the next three and a half hours, I was in racing heaven. The roar of the car's engines as they drove past, the smell of gasoline and tires, plus the excitement in the stands, all filled my senses.

What a race. Richard Petty and Fred Lorenzen battled it out in first place. When they waved the checkered flag, it was Fred Lorenzen, winning by a nose over Richard Petty.

Although disappointed that Richard Petty had not won; I had one of the best days of my life. Thanks to my brother.

The excitement didn't end with the race. I found a pair of dirty old racing goggles near our car. All the way back to our parents, I wore them. I was Richard Petty and Don was Fred Lorenzen. This time it was a Petty win!

Since that race, Don and I have gone to dozens of NASCAR races. We are much older now. When we talk about the Martinsville race, it is still vivid in both our memories.




True Story About You & A Sibling writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Read All Rules
Write a true family story about you and one of your siblings.
Use 1 picture and 1 color font. Picture cannot have words, music, or animation with it.
Your story should be between 300-400 words in length. A dedication line may be added which will not count towards word length. Two videos (with music) may be included in author notes.


I was blessed to have the best two older brothers anyone could ever ask for. This is just one story of many I have of them.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Richard Frohm All rights reserved.
Richard Frohm has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.