Letters and Diary Non-Fiction posted September 21, 2021 Chapters:  ...12 13 -14- 15... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Celebrating the world around us

A chapter in the book Memories of This World

Memories of this World ch. 14

by estory

From the observation deck on the Top of the Rock in Rockefeller Center the city of New York with its splendid skyscrapers, its maze of myriad streets and neighborhoods, its miracles of bridges, spreads out all around you. Up in the air at the tops of the buildings comes the sounds of carhorns, the flash of blinking arcades, the millions of mingled noises and movements that make up this tapestry of life. As the light of day fades, the electric lights in the countless apartments and offices snap on. You look down and and in one window you see a man in a suit embracing a woman in a red dress; in another, a cleaning lady emptying a waste basket; in still another, someone sitting at a desk drinking coffee, reading a newspaper. Down the street an old lady climbs the worn steps of St. Patrick's. A young couple sit on a bench in a park, throwing bread crumbs to the pigeons. A man in a jacket walks out of a corner deli with a loaf of Italian bread under his arm.

On the bridges, the frustrated commuters sit in bumper to bumper traffic, listening to their car radios. Across the river, the floodlights of Yankee Stadium come on. Out in the harbor, a cruise ship heads out to sea. A tourist standing next to you asks you to take her picture in front of the railing overlooking Central Park. A balloon from a penthouse birthday party drifts by.

Here, it seems that the entire human race can be seen in its greatest endeavors and its smallest moments, its triumphs and its tragedies. Everything from the spires of St. Patrick's Cathedral to the cemeteries of Brooklyn.

And everything in between.




Growing up in New York, I guess I have always been fascinated with these shared moments of time, people in all walks of life in all sorts of various endeavors sharing a single moment of time, and a single space on the globe. New York is the perfect metaphor for the world, in many ways, and this little piece is a celebration of that world, and all the people who make the world go around, in all sorts of little but significant ways. Who's to say which is more important? The home run in Yankee Stadium or the kiss in the office, the ball player or the cleaning lady, the old lady clinging to her faith or the young lovers on the park bench? Or are they all in some way little sparks of a whole spirit, living in this world? estory
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. estory All rights reserved.
estory has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.