General Fiction posted September 18, 2021


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
When a peaceful day suddenly turns violent.

Interrupted Slumber

by Shawn Luther


The summer air was hot on his skin, the concrete beneath like a baking stone. It was luxuriant. He lived for these days. Indeed, he lived because of days like this.

Without warning he was poked in the side, nearly knocked onto his back. He reared back in shock. He was shoved again, this time nearly lifted off the ground. Equal parts angry and scared, he faced his tormentor.

The beast was monstrously huge, a small tree gripped tightly in its meaty appendage. Appalled, he began to flee, his tormentor chasing after him.

With sudden force he was flung into the air, his body twisting as he landed in the deep grass. Desperate to escape, he sped through the grasses, his body weaving until he slid safely into the ground.

Hidden in his hole, the snake hissed defiantly, watching as the beast searched for him in vain, before finally leaving.



Flash Fiction contest entry
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Shawn Luther All rights reserved.
Shawn Luther has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.