Mystery and Crime Fiction posted September 16, 2021 Chapters:  ...54 55 -56- 57... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
The hunt begins.....

A chapter in the book Secrets in the Wind

Secrets in the Wind - Chap 56

by Begin Again




Background
Jack McKinley's recent death appears to be suspicious. The investigation of one crime leads to another and so many other secrets in the wind.

“Tito, stop!”

 “Don’t get crazy. I was checking on the girl.” Tito pulled the door closed and walked back to the table.

“Shut up! Someone’s outside. I heard a car.” Miguel tried to stand, but he fell back against the sofa. “Check the window. Can you see anyone?”

Tito scowled and moved to the window. He cracked an opening in the blinds and peered through it. “There’s a car, but I don’t recognize it.”

“Damn! Whoever it is, it’s not good.” Miguel looked around the cabin for something he could use to defend himself.

“Do you think it’s the FBI? Your mama gave us up.”

“Mama wouldn’t do that. Besides, she’s on her way to Mexico.”

“You hope!” Tito looked out the window again. “I think there’s a guy in the car. The Land Rover is blocking my view.”

“Maybe he’s waiting for the others. Odd that he would come alone.” Miguel frowned. “Get the girl. Then block the doorway in case someone comes in the window.”

“I told you this was a bad idea.”

Miguel snarled, “Tito, we don’t have time to argue. Just do it.”

Tito rushed into the bedroom, brought the kicking bundle back, and dropped the girl on the sofa beside Miguel. Her eyes were wild with fear. The gag in her mouth prevented her from screaming. For now, she was at their mercy.

Tito blocked the bedroom door with a large cabinet filled with canned goods and then rushed to the window. “I think our visitor is getting out of the car.”

“Give me your knife, Tito.”

“My knife? Are you crazy? I will defend you with my life, Miguel, but I won’t surrender. No white flags for Tito.”

Miguel put his finger to his lips and leaned close to Annie’s face. “If you want to live, don’t move or try anything stupid. You understand me?”

Annie nodded. Miguel tossed a blanket over her, and she squirmed, trying to uncover her head.  

“While you’re messing with her, someone is coming. The knife will not protect both of us if someone shoots.”

“Don’t be stupid. There are cast-iron frying pans on the wall. Grab the heaviest one you can find. Take the stool and put it behind the door. Wait for the door to open and smack the frying pan against our visitor’s head. Hurry!”

“What if there’s more than one?”

“Tito, just do it.” Miguel’s anger flared, but his voice was a harsh whisper.

Tito shuffled his beefy body to the stove, grabbed the frying pan and stool, and hurried to follow Miguel’s directions.

“Tito, the knife.” He looked down at the knife in the sheath and tossed it across the room. It landed a foot away, and Miguel maneuvered his boot to move it closer. His fingers clutched the handle as his eyes focused on the door.

Tito signaled with his hands that someone was outside the door. He raised the heavy pan in the air and waited. As the door opened, the intruder entered the cabin. Tito’s broad shoulders and bulky arms swung and connected. The man collapsed to the floor.

Simultaneously, Tito and Miguel growled, “Mason.”

The floor creaked as Tito jumped off his perch and rolled the crumpled body over. “Oh Dios, Miguel, esta muerto?”

Miguel stared at the man on the floor. “I don’t think so, but he’s going to have a hell of a headache when he wakes up.” Miguel scanned the room for a clue. “Why is he here? He should have disappeared already.”

“Maybe he had nowhere to go.” Tito lifted Mason by his armpits and pulled him across the room. Mason moaned as Tito tossed him into the overstuffed chair.

“Tito, think. He’s got money, a plane, cars, and friends everywhere. Something in this cabin brought him here. But what?”

“We can ask him when he wakes up.” Tito grinned and bent to inspect Mason. “He’s getting a big goose egg on top of his head. I cracked his head good.”

 

“Tito, listen to me. We’ve got to find whatever Mason came here for, or we will be dead meat. Give me the broom. I can use it as a crutch.” He bent and lifted the blanket from Annie’s head. “I’m sorry, little one, but this is for your own good.”

 

*******************

“Good job, Poppa. Keep working on her. She’s the only one who knows where Miguel might be.” He shoved his cell phone into his pocket.

Hank and the girls joined Garth on the patio as Poppa was updating him. Garth’s furrowed brow and anxious demeanor showed things weren’t going as planned.

Hank sighed, “Was Sofia gone when they got to the ranch?”

Garth stopped pacing and lowered his weary body into a lounge chair. “No, Poppa did a fine job of catching her, but she’s clammed up. They’ve tried several officers and agents, but she refused to speak. Poppa says she keeps repeating no comprendo over and over.”

Cassidy made a face. “That’s ridiculous. That woman speaks perfect English.” She looked at Garth. “You and Allie heard her at the trial.”

“True. I imagine Sofia’s stalling, giving her son time to get away.” Garth shrugged his shoulders. “I can’t force her to talk. The Sheriff will have to book her or let her go. And then she’ll ask for a lawyer. Either way, we have nothing.”

“Annie’s out there. There must be something we can do.” Emmy chimed in and then glanced at her husband.

Hank groaned, “There was, but thanks to me, we lost them.”

“Oh, honey, you certainly didn’t know those motorcycles were going to shoot out in front of you during a high-speed car chase.” Emmy reached over and squeezed Hank’s arm. “It could have been much worse.”

Hank half grunted and half snarled, “You’re crazy, woman. My Mercedes went swimming with the fish. She’ll never be the same.”

“Oh, Hank. It’s just a car.”  Emmy smiled at her foolish husband.

“I’m crushed. There’s no way it’s just a car.” Hank shook his head at Emmy. “It gave them a run for their money.”

“Garth.” Cassidy moved from her chair to one closer to Garth. “Let me talk to Sofia. She knows me and can’t pull the no comprendo crap. She also knows how close I was to Mason before she framed me. Maybe I could convince her to talk. Tell her I’ll talk to you and the Sherrif about leniency.”

“Time’s running out. I guess anything would be worth a chance. You sure you want to sit across a table from this woman?”

“Yes, I am. If I can get Sofia to tell me anything to help Annie, I’ll do it.”

“Okay. I’ll call the Sheriff and let him know our plan. It is his suspect, so if he says okay, then it’s a go.”

“I’ll get the van. It might be easier to get you in and out.” Hank headed for the barn.

“Hank’s right. How are you feeling? I don’t want to be ripping open stitches or anything, getting you into town.”

“I’m fine, Garth. Doctor says the wounds are healing perfectly.”

“Just in case, I’m going too.” Allie looked at Cassidy. “After all, I am your assigned bodyguard.”

“Great. Let’s get this party started.”




Recognized


Theodore (Ted) and Meredith Cranston - previous owners of Sweet Haven Estates
Jack McKinley - present owner of Sweet Haven Estates - deceased
Elizabeth (Liz) McKinley - Jack's widow and owner of Sweet Haven Estates
Alyssa Shelton - (Allie) Liz's best friend and an Investigative Journalist
Darryl Pennington - Estate Foreman for past and previous owners
Mary Hunter - Retired nurse and current caregiver of Faith and Annie
Faith Cranston-Newton - daughter of the Ted and Meredith Cranston
Annie Cranston-Newton - Faith's daughter
Sebastian - the lovable St. Bernard and Annie's companion
Dr. Eugene Copeland - the local physician
Sofia Sanchez - Mason Caldwell's housekeeper
Miguel Sanchez - vineyard supervisor
Jon Saladino - Priest and much more
Cassidy Rotello - assistant of Mason Caldwell
Mason Caldwell - rancher and owner of a gambling casino
Garth Woodman - (Jeremy) Undercover FBI
Hank Armato - Private Investigator
Emmy Armato - Hank's wife and also retired detective
Cynthia - librarian, historian, town gossip, and wanna-be detective
Michael - realtor and Cynthia's nephew
Tango, Poppa, Howard, Pete - FBI agents
Tito - one of Mason's henchmen
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Begin Again All rights reserved.
Begin Again has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.