Mystery and Crime Fiction posted September 13, 2021 Chapters:  ...50 51 -52- 53... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The Hunt for Annie

A chapter in the book Secrets in the Wind

Secrets in the Wind - Chap 52

by Begin Again




Background
Jack McKinley's recent death appears to be suspicious. The investigation of one crime leads to another and so many other secrets in the wind.
Poppa leaned against the wall, drinking cold coffee and watching Mary pace the room, occasionally stopping to stare down the hallway at the closed operating room doors.
 
“Mary, would you like me to get you a cup of coffee or something else to drink?” Poppa wished Garth would arrive; he was better at comforting women.
 
“No, I am fine. I wish the doctors would tell us something. Anything is better than standing here wondering if he’s alive or not.” Mary shook her head. “Strange, but this is the second time I thought Jon was dead.”
 
“He lost a lot of blood from the gunshot. I’m sure they are doing their best to stabilize him and then decide if they can do surgery.” Poppa scowled, “Honestly, getting shot in the abdomen isn’t good.”
 
Mary’s eyes widened, and she burst into tears. She moved toward Poppa. “I should tell the girls and Cassidy.” She pressed her forehead against his chest.
 
Uncomfortable, he wrapped his stiff arms around her as his eyes darted toward the elevator, wishing for his boss to come to his rescue. The doors opened, and Garth stepped out of the elevator. A quirky smile touched his lips when he saw his agent. Poppa resembled a palace guard, stiff and upright, with a woman clinging to him.
“Hey, boss.” Poppa sighed. “Mary, look who’s here.”
 
Mary lifted her head and nodded but remained in Poppa’s arms. Before his agent collapsed, Garth put his hand on Mary’s shoulder and asked, “How about we sit down, Mary.” He led her to a group of chairs in the waiting room. "Have the doctors told you anything yet?"
 
Poppa shook his head, “Nope, not a word. I was hoping we’d be able to talk to him. He might know where Miguel took the girl.”
 
“Garth, how are you?” A doctor stretched out his hand to the FBI agent and nodded at Poppa and Mary.
 
“Dr. Stanfield.” Garth shook hands. “Keeping you busy?” 
 
“Yes, though most of today’s fire patients are in pulmonology or the burn unit. We have the priest and a woman in ICU. The nurse said your team was interested in both of them.”
 
“Someone kidnapped a little girl,” Garth pointed at Mary, “Her granddaughter.”
 
“Jon has tried to speak. He keeps calling for Mary, which must be you.” Dr. Stanfield gave Mary a compassionate look. “I’m sorry, but his chances are very slim. He’s lost a lot of blood, and our initial CT scan shows the bullet lodged in the hip and pelvis area. Our trauma team is in surgery, but another should arrive any minute.”
 
“Listen, if there’s the slightest chance he can tell us where the girl is at, you’ve got to let Mary talk to him.”
 
“I understand. Because the patient is asking for her, I’ll give you a few minutes, but if he gets agitated, we’re done.” Dr. Stanfield looked directly at Garth. “Are we clear?”
 
“We just want a chance to save the girl.”
 
“Okay, come with me.” Dr. Stanfield moved toward Jon’s room. “You’ll need to wear face masks and gowns.”

**************
 
 
“You’ve lost a lot of blood, Miguel.” Tito held on to Annie’s arm while trying to support his friend, too. At the porch, Miguel grabbed the railing and slumped to the floor.
 
“You’re going to die, Mister,” Annie yelled.
 
“Shut up, kid,” Tito snarled.
 
She squealed in pain as Tito’s fingers tightened on her thin arm. “You’re hurting me.”
 
“Tito, there’s rope in the closet. You can tie her up and lock her in the bedroom.”

 Miguel took out his knife and cut his pant leg away from the wound.
 Using the denim, he pressed against the wound, screaming in anguish. “Oh Dios Mio, duelle.”         
 
“But your leg.” Tito could see Miguel was very weak. The belt around his thigh had slowed the bleeding, but it hadn’t stopped.
 
“Take care of the girl first. Then get the first aid kit in the bathroom and bring a sheet. And a bottle of whiskey.”
 
Annie kicked Tito’s leg, and his muscular arms swept her off her feet as he carried her to the house, screaming and fighting to be released.
 
Miguel reached into his jean’s pocket and got his cell phone. He punched in his mother’s telephone number.
 
“Hello.”
 
“Mama, it’s me.”
 
“Miguel, what’s happening? Where are you?” Her voice quivered with fear.
 
“It’s bad, Mama. Have you heard from Mason?”
 
“Senor Mason had me pack a suitcase. He picked it up and left without a word.” Mama cried, “He was in a big rush.”
 
“I must disappear, Mama. You should pack your things and go to our family in El Paso.”
 
“Miguel, what do you mean, disappear?” Mama cried. “Son, I am frightened. What’s happening?”
 
“If Mason has left, he is leaving us to take the blame, Mama. You must hurry and go.”
 
“No, where are you? I will come to you.” Mama shrieked at her son in terror.
 
“I am sorry, but it is too dangerous for you.” Miguel was quiet for a moment. “I love you, Mama. Please do as I ask.” He disconnected the line as Tito returned with the whiskey, the sheet, and a first aid kit. Miquel grabbed the whiskey bottle, removed the cap, and took a very long swallow.
 
After another swallow, Miguel handed the bottle to Tito. “I will hold the pole while you pour whiskey into the wound.” Miguel wrapped his hands around the railing and nodded to Tito. “Press the gauze against the hole till the bleeding stops, okay?”
 
As the alcohol entered the opening in Miguel’s leg, he screamed, and his face twisted in pain. He collapsed on the porch floor as Tito followed his instructions.

****************
 
 
Mary trembled as she stepped close to Jon’s bed. The sight and sound of all the machines and the bag of blood sent chills through her body. She leaned close and called his name. “Jon, it’s Mary. Can you hear me?”
 
Jon’s eyes flickered but didn’t open. He whispered, but Mary didn’t understand what he said. She squeezed his hand.
 
“Jon, where’s Annie?” Mary pursed her lips together, struggling not to cry and make anything worse.
 
“I—sor—ry.” His lips barely moved. His eyes flickered again, and this time his eyes opened, staring at Mary.
 
“Jon, it’s okay. Save your strength.” Tears spilled from Mary’s eyes.
 
Garth stepped closer to Mary. “Jon, blink if the answer is yes. Does Miguel have Annie?”
 
Everyone in the room focused on Jon’s colorless face. His lashes fluttered.
 
“Good job, Jon. Do you know where he took her? Just blink for yes.”
 
A single tear slipped from the corner of his eye. “Sor—ry!”
 
Garth spoke softly, “It’s okay, Jon. You’re doing a great job. Don’t talk. Use your eyes. Did Miguel take Annie to Mason?”
 
Jon’s eyes remained closed, and his lashes didn’t move. Mary’s muffled sobs filled the room.
 
Jon opened his eyes and stared at Mary. His parched lips moved and then closed. He sighed and then lay motionless.
 
Garth put his finger under Jon’s nose. “He’s breathing, barely, but he’s alive.” He spoke a little louder. “Jon, Annie’s in danger. These men will kill her. Can you give me a clue where Miguel might hide?”
 
Jon’s eyes flickered.
 
“Great! You’re doing outstanding.” Garth nodded to Mary. “See if he talks for you.”
 
“Jon, it’s Mary. If you can, please tell me where Annie is. She’s just a sweet little girl.”
 
Jon gasped and then tried to speak, “Ca—bn. Fo—hill”
 
Poppa stood on the opposite side of the bed. He looked at Garth. “I think he might be saying there is a cabin in the foothills.”
 
Mary’s heart was pounding against her chest. “Jon, are you saying a cabin in the foothills?”
 
His eyelashes flickered again. The foothills covered hundreds of miles. They needed to know more than that if they were going to find Annie.
 
“Where? Can you tell us where?” Tears streamed down Mary’s face as she realized they were so close, yet so far away from finding her granddaughter.
 
“Come on, Jon, you can do this. Help us find Annie. Where is the cabin?” Garth leaned over Mary’s shoulder and pressed his hand against Jon’s arm. “Think hard. Where is Annie?”
 
Jon’s words were inaudible. Garth pulled Mary against his chest, attempting to console her but also muffle her cries. Poppa leaned close to Jon’s head. “Come on, Father. Save your granddaughter. Where is the cabin?”
 
Jon’s eyes tried to focus on Mary. His lips moved. “So—so—f—ia.”
 
Poppa smiled at Jon. “Sofia, Miguel’s mother. Can she tell us where the cabin is?”
 
Jon’s lashes flickered. “For—giv.” A puff of air escaped Jon’s lips as he slipped away. The heart monitor beeped loudly, and Garth pulled Mary away from the bed.
 
She cried, “I forgive you, Jon.” As Garth led her away and the hospital staff rushed into the room.
 
Poppa called the team and gave instructions to get the Sheriff and find Sofia Sanchez and the cabin's location.







 






Summary... Cassidy is framed for murder. Allie goes undercover to protect Cassidy, but they are both stabbed. Cassidy's life is threatened again in the hospital, and she is pronounced dead (but actually in protective custody). Mason Caldwell runs many illegal businesses, including drugs and human trafficking. Jon, a priest and Cassidy's brother, has sold his soul. Mary, a caregiver, discovers her child she gave up for adoption thirty years ago. Cynthia and Michael are searching for gold on Liz's property. The mysterious woman (Faith) is dying from cancer and lives in a secret cottage with her daughter, Annie, Sebastion, and Mary. Darryl runs the winery, and Miguel is in charge of the vineyards. Garth and Hank are trying to solve the cases.


 



Recognized


Theodore (Ted) and Meredith Cranston - previous owners of Sweet Haven Estates
Jack McKinley - present owner of Sweet Haven Estates - deceased
Elizabeth (Liz) McKinley - Jack's widow and owner of Sweet Haven Estates
Alyssa Shelton - (Allie) Liz's best friend and an Investigative Journalist
Darryl Pennington - Estate Foreman for past and previous owners
Mary Hunter - Retired nurse and current caregiver of Faith and Annie
Faith Cranston-Newton - daughter of the Ted and Meredith Cranston
Annie Cranston-Newton - Faith's daughter
Sebastian - the lovable St. Bernard and Annie's companion
Dr. Eugene Copeland - the local physician
Sofia Sanchez - Mason Caldwell's housekeeper
Miguel Sanchez - vineyard supervisor
Jon Saladino - Priest and much more
Cassidy Rotello - assistant of Mason Caldwell
Mason Caldwell - rancher and owner of a gambling casino
Garth Woodman - (Jeremy) Undercover FBI
Hank Armato - Private Investigator
Emmy Armato - Hank's wife and also retired detective
Cynthia - librarian, historian, town gossip, and wanna-be detective
Michael - realtor and Cynthia's nephew
Tango, Poppa, Howard, Pete - FBI agents
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Begin Again All rights reserved.
Begin Again has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.