General Non-Fiction posted September 12, 2021


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Back in time

A bit of history

by Joanne Gill-Maddick


November 16th, 2020 was a day that changed the lives of our family forever. The day my mother went to heaven. We lost our dad twelve years ago but we still had Mom. Our family home was a go to place where we would gather for special occasions like Christmas and birthdays.

The family homestead is now empty.  It will never be the same again. My mother was born in 1930. A time when they knew what hard work was. My parents lived in an era where there was no electricity or running water. They got their water from a well. Everything they did at night was done by the light of the kerosene lamp. This was back in the day of outhouses.

My parents learned to be self-sufficient.  They grew their own vegetables and raised animals. They had to be that way in order to survive. It was hard making a living on the land and sea while living on Pinchards Island, an island about half hour from Newtown Bonavista Bay by boat. There were square dances held on the island and many plays and concerts were performed there. Making their own entertainment was easy. 

There was always work to be done. The men fished and the women worked in the gardens. The women also helped with fish. My mom told me, women were known to have rocked their babies in their cradles until the wee hours of the morning while tending the fish. There was no one to care for the children so they had to bring them along.

Life was difficult for Mom. She lost a sister to breast cancer at 31 years.  Her mother also died at 47 years with breast cancer.  Mom had to grow up overnight. At 12 she was taken out of school to help care for her younger siblings because she was the eldest of six. At 11 and 12 years old she was doing women's work. Making bread and taking care of a household. At 17, Mom had her first child and Feb 23rd, 1947 she and dad got married in a little church in Trinity; they went to church by sled and dog team. In my mind's eye I can picture this. What a beautiful scene this would be. Unfortunately this perfect and special moment in time was not captured on camera.

Mom and Dad raised nine children. Mom lost one baby to crib death. She told me she approached the crib to get her baby, "she said you're some good boy you slept all night." She proceeded to pick him up, then she realized he wasn't breathing. My dad picked up the lifeless little angel and placed him in a pine casket that he made himself. A very heartwrenching story. Mom also lost her biological Dad to TB. At the young age of 23, Mom's dad passed away. Mom was 13 months old. Life was a challenge for my Mom from a very early age. She was raised by her Mom and her Step- Father. Having been the only child that didn't share the same father as her siblings. She felt like the odd one out. That really affected her life.

I inherited the family home upon Mom's death in November of 2020. The family homestead holds a lot of history for me and my siblings. Mom was born in a room upstairs and delivered by a mid-wife. There are parts of the house that are over 200 years old. It was floated from Pinchards Island to Newtown, with barrels underneath to keep it afloat. This was the year 1953, when resettlement forced them to leave their island home.

Pinchards Island has remained a significant part of my life and my siblings’ lives. We all have unique memories of trips to the island in motorboat with Mom and Dad that will be etched in our hearts forever.



True Family Story writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Read All Rules
Write a true family story with a minimum of 400 words and a maximum of 650 words. Use 1 color font and 1 picture that has no words in it. Use no animation or music with entry. Dedication line is optional and doesn't count toward word length. Author notes acceptable and may include 1 video that may have music/words.


My parents worked. Very hard in their day. And living on an island was not without its challenges but they were happy there. My brother has cabins on the island. We all get together there sometimes to honour our parents memory. I also got to celebrate my birthday this year in our family home with my siblings all around me.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Joanne Gill-Maddick All rights reserved.
Joanne Gill-Maddick has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.