General Non-Fiction posted September 12, 2021


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
She was my best friend.

How I Felt When Mom Passed Away

by pookietoo


My mom passed away on July 18, 2011. I miss her more than words can say. Although she had a bad hip for several years, I wasn't prepared for the day she passed away. She had to use a cane because of her bad hip. She was a hard-working mother. She worked several years at DelMonte in Franklin, Idaho canning beans and cabbage. She worked several years at the Cache Valley Auction in Preston, Idaho tagging cows that would be sold.

When the pain in my mom's hip got too much for her to bear, she had to let the housework go. She was an example to me and taught me to value of hard work. My siblings and I as well as my mom knew that it was hard for her to give up doing the things she loved to do. It was also quite difficult for her to go anywhere. She was able to attend my nephew, Ben's high school graduation in June 2011 at Pocatello, Idaho. My family was glad she was able to attend his graduation. I am sure she felt like complaining about her pain, but I don't remember hearing her complain. If she did, she did when she was home or with my dad away from home. In order for her hip to feel better, she would need to have surgery on her hip. She was taken to the Franklin County Medical Center in Preston, Idaho.

My husband and I were able to visit her there. She didn't look good. We had a nice visit with her. It was hard to see my mom in the hospital.

I think it was about a week later that one of my brothers called me to tell me that my mom had passed away. The reason she passed away was not because of her hip. She had congestive heart failure. She never did have surgery on her hip. Before her funeral on July 18, I told a friend that I couldn't believe my mom had passed away. She told me she couldn't believe it either.

I cried and cried that night in bed. I cried myself to sleep. My husband did his best to comfort me. I went through several emotions. I was so glad she didn't have any pain anymore. She could walk and run now. I was shocked. I was angry. My sister told me it wasn't my mom's fault she passed away. How dare my my mom, my best friend pass away? I had heard that we should give ourselves tie to heal, that it is okay to take as long as we needed to grieve. It was okay to be sad, mad, glad, hurt. I know I could talk to my mom any time. She was watching over me. It was hard because I couldn't call my mom anymore and talk to her. I didn't tell her I loved her as much as I should have when she was on the earth. I did realize it was time for my mom to go. How grateful I was that I would see her again one day. When my dad passed away on June 2, 2015, I believe I was more prepared for his passing, and I handled it better.




True Family Story writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Read All Rules
Write a true family story with a minimum of 400 words and a maximum of 650 words. Use 1 color font and 1 picture that has no words in it. Use no animation or music with entry. Dedication line is optional and doesn't count toward word length. Author notes acceptable and may include 1 video that may have music/words.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. pookietoo All rights reserved.
pookietoo has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.