General Fiction posted September 10, 2021


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Sink or Swim? Flunking the Freshness Test

Hardboiled Advice

by Elizabeth Emerald


Whilst foraging for edible vegetation amidst the petrified forest in my refrigerator, I came upon a carton of eggs, dated July 20.

Not knowing whether the date pertained to the current year, I decided to play it safe by conducting a freshness test.

A fastidious person would reasonably consider a "freshness" test moot, regardless; at best, the eggs are two months' past date.

Being utterly unfastidious, I have no compunction about consuming food out of code; I proceeded with the test.

I was pleasantly surprised that of the dozen, only two flunked out; when I placed them in a bowl of water, they sank.

After discarding the sinkers, I proceeded to prepare the remaining ten according to a youtube tutorial titled: How to Make Easy-Peel Hardboiled Eggs.

1) Bring a pot of water to a boil
2) Place eggs in the water; turn down heat
3) Simmer for 13 minutes
4) Place eggs in an ice bath for five minutes
5) Tap-tap-tap cooled eggs on countertop
6) Peel

Voila!


Voila didn't happen.

I gouged out hunks of egg, which clung to the sundry shards of shell, which stabbed the underside of my fingernails.

It was after I'd painstakingly divested, piecemeal, the ten eggs of their coats that I remembered: FRESH eggs sink.  








 



Recognized

#31
September
2021


Hard Boiled by meg119 on FanArtReview.com THANK YOU!
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by meg119 at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Elizabeth Emerald All rights reserved.
Elizabeth Emerald has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.