War and History Fiction posted September 9, 2021


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
A story where every character has a disguise.

GreenB

by GollyGreen32


Men like chic and sleek women, but she was different. She changed her appearance for their needs, getting bigger as they wanted and keeping secrets for them. Now, after three years of work, she possessed a new wing and a bunker with a dormitory, kitchen, hospital, and a broadcast center. Room that every girl would enjoy. Elation overwhelmed her because they didn't change her Greek exterior at all. Even her servants liked what they saw. Two of them stood in the lobby, close to the elevators with their toolboxes. One of them pressed the down button.

"Isn't GreenB gorgeous?" John said to another co-worker, Luke while they waited. "Elegant on the outside, but a Rosie the Riveter on the inside. Beautiful and tough."

Luke tugged on the front of his coveralls. "Yes, GreenB is gorgeous, but my coveralls are too big. I feel ridiculous in them. I look like a poor kid from the streets."

"Stop complaining," John said. "The company will exchange them for you."

"I can't help it. I'm annoyed. I wanted to be assigned to the radio tower. After all, I am a cryptologist, so it would only make sense," Luke said.

John laughed. "You know they only put the most senior people in those positions."

Her servants should stop talking and complaining. A guest might overhear their conversation. She, and they, for that matter, would serve Congress if they needed to and be proud if they did. Damn the too big coveralls. This wasn't a fashion show for them. This was about her and her ability to fool. Not theirs. Well, that wasn't true. They needed to fool others too.

"Well," John said, "technicians walk around a lot. It's a good cover as we perform our real duties in the Exhibition Hall."

"She really is a beauty; isn't she?" Luke said. "A bunker that's visible to the public. Right underneath the auditorium and nobody is the wiser. The hall is one idea that the government got right. Hiding the hall in plain sight. What a coup."

"Quiet," GreenB thought. "Quiet."

"Shhh..." John said. "Don't talk about it anymore."

"There's nobody around," Luke said.

"I don't care," John said. "Just shup up now. I don't want to lose my job."

Luke made the motion of locking his lips with a key and throwing it away.

GreenB felt relieved. For the next three decades, she kept her secret, and so did the servants. Until that nosy reporter showed up. Why did he need to write that story? Now her days of fooling the public were over. Damn. She had enjoyed herself.



Disguised writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Write a story where one of the characters is in a disguise.


I wanted to take a different tack with this contest, so I decided to write a semi-fictional story with the Greenbriar Hotel as a character with a disguise. Of course, the government workers wear a disguise too.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. GollyGreen32 All rights reserved.
GollyGreen32 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.