Mystery and Crime Fiction posted September 9, 2021 Chapters:  ...47 48 -49- 50... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
When the devil strikes back

A chapter in the book Secrets in the Wind

Secrets in the Wind - Chap 49

by Begin Again




Background
Jack McKinley's recent death appears to be suspicious. The investigation of one crime leads to another and so many other secrets in the wind.
Hours after Garth had led Jon away, Mary stared out the window, thinking and reliving all the events in her life that had led to this moment. She scolded herself for the resentment and hatred she’d felt this morning when confronted with the truth about Jon, because she also was grateful for the fairytale love she’d nurtured over the years. Remembering their blissful love had carried her through many dark moments and in the end, life came full circle and she had another chance to share life with Faith.
 
Her thoughts drifted to Hope. Did she want her daughter so desperately that she’d imagined her to be the woman with Cassidy? Had Cassidy’s revelations about Jon made her delusional? Why had Liz become so crazed by being called Hope?
 
Sebastian nudged her with his nose, and she patted his head. “I know, boy, you miss her, too. You did your best to save her, but now we must leave it in the hands of law enforcement. She’ll be home soon.” Mary pursed her lips and stared out the window again. “She’s got to be home soon.”
 
“Mary, who are you talking to?” Faith raised her head from the pillow and looked around the room.
 
“I’m sorry, honey. Did I wake you?” She left her window perch and went to sit by Faith’s bed. “I was talking to Sebastian. Hoping they find Annie soon.”
 
“Can I talk to you about this morning?” Faith reached out for Mary’s hand. “I’d like to understand what happened at the ranch and why Father—my father turned up here.”
 
“I’m not sure I have all the answers, but I will do the best I can.” Mary took a deep breath. “When Hank was bringing me home, I saw a woman in a wheelchair on the patio. She looked like an old friend. She’s your aunt, Jon’s sister. Her name is Cassidy.”
 
“But you didn’t tell Jon about Cassidy. Why?”
 
“Someone tried to kill her, and she believes Jon was involved. The FBI has her in hiding.”
 
“My father tried to kill his own sister? The same sad man who sat out here today?” Faith shook her head. “He didn’t look like a murderer.”
 
“I don’t know that man that came here today.” Mary shook her head. “I don’t know all the details. I was more interested in learning why thirty years ago they’d told me Jon was dead. His parents didn’t believe I had the right pedigree for their son, regardless if I was carrying his baby. They made up a story and moved to Italy, leaving me to deal with the pregnancy by myself.”
 
“You said babies. Were you just upset?”
 
Mary studied Faith’s face, the shape, the lines, the color of her eyes. “No, I gave birth to two little girls. I named them Faith and Hope. You were very healthy and your sister was not so lucky. She was very sick. When the Reverend Mother took you away, she said that someone was adopting you, but Hope wasn’t expected to live. All these years, I assumed my precious child, your sister, was dead.”
 
Faith questioned Mary. “And you don’t now? What changed your mind?”
 
“While I was talking to Cassidy, a woman joined us. I don’t know if I was so upset about Jon or what, but to me, she looked identical to you except for the color of her hair. I called her Hope.”
 
“That’s an understandable mistake. Annie is missing, you were sick last night, and then in one quick sweep, you discover Cassidy and that my father isn’t dead. It makes my mind spin just listening to you.”
 
“The rest is out of focus. I remember calling for Hope and the woman screaming, telling us all to get out. I recall little until I woke up here and found you talking to Jon.”
 
Faith chuckled, “That must have really made you feel you were dreaming, or more like a nightmare.” She squeezed Mary’s hand. “I don’t mean to laugh, but he doesn’t look like he could do much harm.”
 
“Looks can be deceiving.” Mary studied Faith as their eyes locked on each other. “You want me to reach out to him, don’t you?”
 
“Not if you don’t want to do it.” Faith shrugged. “I guess I was hoping he knew something about where Annie might be. It seemed so strange for him and that lady to show up here after all this time.”
 
“I can ask Hank to take me into town so I can try one more time, but don’t expect miracles from this man.”
 
“I understand, but I feel like he wanted to tell us something.” A tear formed in the corner of Faith’s eye. “If there’s a chance—”
 
“Don’t get yourself upset. It won’t hurt if I talk to him one more time. I’ll call Hank and see what he says, okay?”
 
“Thanks, Mary. If he knows anything, we should try.”
 
“You’re right. I’ll call Hank right away.”
 
********************
 
When the phone rang, Jon knew who it would be before he answered. A chill ran across his shoulders and down his back.
He answered on the fifth ring. “Hello.”
 
“Jon, there’s been a change of plans. Miguel will be there tonight.”
 
“To take the migrants. What about the girl?”
 
“Why do you care about the girl? Don’t ask questions. Just do as you’re told.” Mason growled.
 
“Mason, I’ve done everything you’ve asked. Annie is my granddaughter. I am begging you not to harm her.” Jon pleaded with Mason.
 
“I’m sorry, Jon. She’s collateral damage. If you want to stay alive, you’ll get used to it.” Mason disconnected the call.
 
“No, no, no! This can’t happen.” Jon pushed his chair away from the desk and walked to the bookcase. He placed his back against the side and pushed. It didn’t budge. He tried once more, but nothing. On the third try, he lost his footing and slid to the floor. In his mind, he envisioned men, women and children crowded in the damp dark rooms below, terrified. He thought of his own grandchild, one he’d never get to know, crying and shivering in fear. He drew his knees to his chest and sobbed.
 
At the sound of pounding on the back door, Jon crawled across the floor and hid behind his desk. With his rosary in his trembling hand, he recited the Lord’s Prayer, “Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be they name; they kingdom come; thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven.” He paused and listened. A sigh of relief escaped his mouth; the pounding had stopped. The silence was deafening as Jon wondered what would happen next.
 
Seconds later, a brick from the flower bed crashed through the glass door, shattering glass pieces and splintered wood across the room. A hand reached through the opening and unlocked the door. One man carried something wrapped in a blanket over his shoulder. Another carried two red containers of gasoline. Neither spoke as they set everything down and pushed the bookcase to the side, exposing the staircase to the wine cellar below.
 
Jon could hear screams and crying and a chain of shivers ran up and down his body. He stood, leaning against the desk for support. “Who are you? Where’s Miguel?”
 
“Looking for me, Father? Why didn’t you open the door?”
 
“I—I must have been sleeping.” Jon’s eyes widened as he saw the woman’s hair hanging from the end of the blanket. “That looks like a woman. What’s going on? Why do they have gasoline?”
 
“Sit down and shut up, Father. Unless you would like to join your guests.” Miguel shoved Jon, and he fell backward into the chair.
 
“You’re going to—oh, merciful God—you can’t start a fire.” Jon grabbed Miguel’s arm. “Please, there are innocent people down there.”
 
Miguel struggled to loosen his arm from Jon. “Let loose of me.” When Jon’s fingers continued to wrap around Miguel’s shirt, he snarled, “You idiot.” As his temper flared, he backhanded Jon and sent him stumbling backward.
 
To Miguel’s amazement, Jon still clung to his shirt. The second punch was a glancing blow to Jon’s nose, and bright red blood spurted everywhere. The following three or four punches came in rapid succession until Jon dropped to the rectory floor. To finish him, Miguel planted the toe of his boot into Jon’s side.
 
He spat on the floor and turned to the two men, “Let’s get this done.”






Summary... Cassidy is framed for murder. Allie goes undercover to protect Cassidy, but they are both stabbed. Cassidy's life is threatened again in the hospital, and she is pronounced dead (but actually in protective custody). Mason Caldwell runs many illegal businesses, including drugs and human trafficking. Jon, a priest and Cassidy's brother, has sold his soul. Mary, a caregiver, discovers her child she gave up for adoption thirty years ago. Cynthia and Michael are searching for gold on Liz's property. The mysterious woman (Faith) is dying from cancer and lives in a secret cottage with her daughter, Annie, Sebastion, and Mary. Darryl runs the winery, and Miguel is in charge of the vineyards. Garth and Hank are trying to solve the cases.
 



Recognized


Theodore (Ted) and Meredith Cranston - previous owners of Sweet Haven Estates
Jack McKinley - present owner of Sweet Haven Estates - deceased
Elizabeth (Liz) McKinley - Jack's widow and owner of Sweet Haven Estates
Alyssa Shelton - (Allie) Liz's best friend and an Investigative Journalist
Darryl Pennington - Estate Foreman for past and previous owners
Mary Hunter - Retired nurse and current caregiver of Faith and Annie
Faith Cranston-Newton - daughter of the Ted and Meredith Cranston
Annie Cranston-Newton - Faith's daughter
Sebastian - the lovable St. Bernard and Annie's companion
Dr. Eugene Copeland - the local physician
Sofia Sanchez - Mason Caldwell's housekeeper
Miguel Sanchez - vineyard supervisor
Jon Saladino - Priest and much more
Cassidy Rotello - assistant of Mason Caldwell
Mason Caldwell - rancher and owner of a gambling casino
Garth Woodman - (Jeremy) Undercover FBI
Hank Armato - Private Investigator
Emmy Armato - Hank's wife and also retired detective
Cynthia - librarian, historian, town gossip, and wanna-be detective
Michael - realtor and Cynthia's nephew
Tango, Poppa, Howard, Pete - FBI agents
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Begin Again All rights reserved.
Begin Again has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.