General Fiction posted September 8, 2021


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A 150-word Flash Fiction

Home Remedy

by Laurie Holding


I will blame myself forever, so don't worry about expending energy doing that for me.

Head lice, they said, in a note from school, carefully concealed as if they were worried someone might see, someone who shouldn't see.

First, think of my original intent.

Gasoline, I thought, would suffocate head lice. Save us the money the school wanted us to spend on fancy shampoo.

I doused her head, her beautiful black curls bouncing between my fingers, the sharp intoxication of the petrol rising from the sink.

I closed my eyes, drunk with it the way you'd close your eyes enjoying a secret sniff of the junk drawer's black permanent marker.

The stove was right there, my tea almost ready.

Then, there were no more bouncing black curls. Now, her head looks like some ancient Galapagos creature. She stares at me with constant surprise.

A wonder, that I am still alive.





Flash Fiction contest entry


People do stupid things all the time, but I always wonder about those who completely ruin (or end) their children's lives, thereby ruining their own as well.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by suzannethompson2 at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Laurie Holding All rights reserved.
Laurie Holding has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.