Mystery and Crime Fiction posted September 8, 2021 Chapters:  ...46 47 -48- 49... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The net draws tighter on some

A chapter in the book Secrets in the Wind

Secrets in the Wind - Chap 48

by Begin Again




Background
Jack McKinley's recent death appears to be suspicious. The investigation of one crime leads to another and so many other secrets in the wind.
Pete pulled the SUV to the curb in front of St. Anthony’s Church. The man in his rearview mirror looked like someone who had lost his best friend. Mentally, Pete chided himself for his lack of compassion; after all, he was a priest.
 
“This is your stop, Father.” Pete turned in his seat to look at Jon.
 
Jon raised his head and looked around as if he wasn’t sure of where he was. “Is this the church?”
 
“Yes, it is. Are you okay?” Pete felt strange about leaving him, but he wasn’t his babysitter, just the driver. “Do you need any help?”
 
“Oh, I’m fine. My thoughts get a little scrambled now and then. You know, old age, I guess.” Jon shrugged and peered through the window at the church.
 
Pete nodded. “Sure thing. Age creeps up on us faster than we think. Have a good day!”
 
Jon opened the door and climbed out of the vehicle. He stopped, twisted around to look at Pete, and asked, “I’m free to go?”
 
“Yup, my orders were to bring you back to the church. Here we are.” Pete frowned. “It is the correct church, right?”
 
“Oh, yes. Thank you.” Jon slid off the seat, waved to Pete, and closed the door. He turned to face the church, and his weary eyes focused on the steeple and its cross for a moment, and then he climbed step by step to the church door.
 
Inside, he shuffled down the aisle, stopping now and then to stare at the beautiful stained-glass windows or a statue of Jesus as if he was seeing them for the first time. As he neared the front pew, he slid across the oak bench, kneeling. He lowered his head in silent prayer, made the sign of the cross, and left the pew as he continued a slow journey to the rectory.
 
A small light glowed against the rectory wall. Jon flipped the switch as he entered, and another light turned on. The stress of the day weighed heavy on his shoulders and his heart. He moved to the small lavatory, turned the spigot, and let the water run, mesmerized by its circular motion. Cupping his hands, he splashed the cool water on his face and patted it dry with a small hand towel. As he raised his head, he studied the craggy face staring back at him. Sorrow and regret filled every corner of the dark eyes in the mirror. Jon exhaled as he unbuttoned his shirt, removed it, and tossed it aside. Outside the lavatory, he opened a closet and chose a clean shirt and his best robe.
 
It seemed like deja vu as he shuffled across the room, lit a candle, poured a glass of wine before settling in the leather Queen Anne chair. Memories flashed through his mind of the night he was beaten and given the choice of poisoning Cassidy or dying. “Sweet, sweet Cassidy, I am sorry for stealing your life. At least you escaped Mary’s venom when she discovered our lies.” Jon sipped the wine and rested his head against the wing of the chair. “I remember you once told me life was like a pendulum, and one day it would all fall back on me. You were so right. Today was that day.”
 
Jon lifted his wine glass in the air. “I salute you, my Lord in Heaven, for I, a servant of God, have fallen into despair and ignorance. Today, I must not be fainthearted or afraid; nor shall they terrify me or have me give way to panic. For the battle will come into my house, and I must stand and fight. In the name of my Savior, Jesus Christ, I repent and beg for your forgiveness.” He dropped his head to his chest, and tears flowed down his face.
 
After contemplating his life for a long time, Jon raised the glass to his lips, took a long drink, savoring the cool liquid as it crossed his dry lips. He moved from the chair to his desk, unlocking the bottom desk drawer and removing the pistol with the pearl handle. It felt cold against the palm of his hand as Jon slipped it into the pocket of his robe. With his eyes closed, he leaned back in the chair and continued to recite prayers of repentance.
 
****************

Excited about her visit to Mary and Faith, Cynthia drove to the Casino. Mason’s car was in his usual spot, so she rushed inside, eager to share her news.
 
He wasn’t in his office, so she hurried upstairs to his private suite. She tapped on his door. “Mason, it’s Cynthia.”
 
A mammoth of a man opened the door. His arm muscles bulged beneath his short-sleeve shirt, and the buttons strained to hold the shirt closed. He scowled at her intrusion but allowed her to enter the luxurious suite. Mason sat in a lounge chair on the patio.
 
He didn’t bother to acknowledge her presence until she joined him outside. “An unexpected pleasure, Cynthia.” He waved at the carafe on the table. “Care for a cup of coffee?”
 
Cynthia poured a cup and then sat in the chair beside him. The breeze carried his cologne past her nose, and she inhaled. “I have so much to share with you. Jon insisted I take him to pray for the girl this morning. I couldn’t resist meeting the mysterious neighbors, so of course, I drove him to their place. The police have crime tape everywhere, but it didn’t stop me. I didn’t care to track my boots through the mud, but we managed.”
 
Mason leaned his head back against the pillows and closed his eyes. “It’s a gorgeous morning. I was sitting out here when the sun came over the hills. It was stunning. Did you see it?”
 
“Mason!” Cynthia muttered. “You aren’t listening to me.”
 
“Not true. You were moaning about getting your boots dirty. I’ll buy another pair if you stop.” He sighed. “The air is so fresh. Inhale it, Cynthia. Take a deep breath and relax.”
 
“Oh, you are infuriating. I met the woman in the cottage, and you will never believe this but—”
 
Mason smiled. “But she looks precisely like Liz McKinley.” Cynthia’s mouth fell open as she gaped in astonishment at Mason. “They’re twins.”
 
“How—how did you know that?”
 
“You are behind the times. When my sources learned of Liz’s adoption, I made a trip to visit the Reverend Mother. She thought I was Jack, and she shared the entire story. Even asked about the letter which I regretfully didn’t receive.” Mason laughed. “I was very grateful.”
 
“I’m stunned. It bothers me you didn’t share any of that information with me. I thought we were partners.”
 
Mason laughed. “Partners—my dear, what a foolish thought. Whatever gave you that idea?”
 
“I told you about the treasure map and the gold. I even—”
 
Someone knocked on the door, and Mason raised his hand, signaling Cynthia to be quiet. When he heard a male voice, he stood and walked inside.
 
“Miguel, I thought you would be on the road with your delivery.”
 
“I thought you should hear this information in person. This morning—” He stopped mid-sentence as Cynthia appeared in the doorway. “Sorry, I didn’t know you had company.”
 
“Hello, Miguel. I’m just as surprised to see you here.” Cynthia walked into the room.
 
Mason glared at Cynthia. “Don’t mind her; Cynthia was leaving.”
 
Cynthia snarled, “No, I am not!” She added, “Our conversation isn’t over.”
 
“Woman, you are far dumber than I thought.” Mason shook his head and laughed at Cynthia’s gasp.
 
“Who do you think you are talking to me that way?”
 
In two long strides, Mason was at Cynthia’s side. His hand twisted her arm until she screamed in pain. He shoved her, and she fell on the sofa. “Sit there and shut up, or Henry will shut you up.”
 
The goliath of a man moved from the entrance of the suite to the sofa. He grinned, exposing two missing teeth, “My pleasure, boss.” Cynthia shrank against the back of the couch.
 
“Now, Miguel, what did you want to tell me?” Miguel turned his attention to Cynthia and then back to Mason. “Oh, don’t worry about her. She’s no threat to me.”
 
Miguel lowered his voice to a whisper, “I think the Feds know about the drugs.”
 
“Speak up, man. I said it was okay to talk in front of the stupid woman. I’ll take care of her.”
 
“You can’t talk to me like that; I am not one of your whores.”
 
“No, you’re not because they are smart enough to know their place.” Mason chuckled.
 
Cynthia tried to stand, but Henry blocked her way. “Get out of my way. I am leaving.”
 
Mason shouted, “Sit down,” and moved to the couch. His face was menacing as he placed his finger under Cynthia’s chin and tipped her head back. “You, my dear, had your chance to leave.” He turned to Henry, “Break her arm if she moves.” Henry nodded and grinned.
 
“Sorry, Miguel. Why do you think the Feds know about the drugs?”
 
“Because when I made the delivery, they had a dog sniffing the barrels. I opened the top and showed them there was nothing there. The one guy played stupid and said his dog was in training, but I don’t know if they bought it or not.”
 
“But they let you go.” Mason walked out on the patio and stood staring across the wide-open space.
 
Cynthia shrieked at Miguel, “You’ve been running drugs out of the winery.” She gasped, “Did you murder Jack for drugs?”
 
“Mason, this woman knows too much.”
 
“You can’t get away with this, Miguel. He’s going to put all the blame on you. Don’t you see it?”
 
From the patio entrance, Mason nodded at Henry. The bruiser grinned and disappeared down the hallway, returning moments later with a cloth and a bottle.
 
“Cynthia, darling, it’s been fun, but you should have learned to shut your mouth.”
 
She screamed as Henry placed the cloth over her nose and mouth until Cynthia’s body went limp.
 
“Wrap her in a blanket and toss her in Miguel’s truck. You parked out of sight in the back, right?”
 
“Yes, sir.” Miguel stared at Cynthia’s lifeless body and then turned back to Mason. “What should I do with her?”
 
“Take her to the church, but not in the truck. Go to my place and get one of those vehicles. Also, grab two of the gas containers. Don’t do anything until I call with instructions.”
 
Miguel nodded and left the apartment.









Summary... Cassidy is framed for murder. Allie goes undercover to protect Cassidy, but they are both stabbed. Cassidy's life is threatened again in the hospital, and she is pronounced dead (but actually in protective custody). Mason Caldwell runs many illegal businesses, including drugs and human trafficking. Jon, a priest and Cassidy's brother, has sold his soul. Mary, a caregiver, discovers her child she gave up for adoption thirty years ago. Cynthia and Michael are searching for gold on Liz's property. The mysterious woman (Faith) is dying from cancer and lives in a secret cottage with her daughter, Annie, Sebastion, and Mary. Darryl runs the winery, and Miguel is in charge of the vineyards. Garth and Hank are trying to solve the cases.
 



Recognized


Theodore (Ted) and Meredith Cranston - previous owners of Sweet Haven Estates
Jack McKinley - present owner of Sweet Haven Estates - deceased
Elizabeth (Liz) McKinley - Jack's widow and owner of Sweet Haven Estates
Alyssa Shelton - (Allie) Liz's best friend and an Investigative Journalist
Darryl Pennington - Estate Foreman for past and previous owners
Mary Hunter - Retired nurse and current caregiver of Faith and Annie
Faith Cranston-Newton - daughter of the Ted and Meredith Cranston
Annie Cranston-Newton - Faith's daughter
Sebastian - the lovable St. Bernard and Annie's companion
Dr. Eugene Copeland - the local physician
Sofia Sanchez - Mason Caldwell's housekeeper
Miguel Sanchez - vineyard supervisor
Jon Saladino - Priest and much more
Cassidy Rotello - assistant of Mason Caldwell
Mason Caldwell - rancher and owner of a gambling casino
Garth Woodman - (Jeremy) Undercover FBI
Hank Armato - Private Investigator
Emmy Armato - Hank's wife and also retired detective
Cynthia - librarian, historian, town gossip, and wanna-be detective
Michael - realtor and Cynthia's nephew
Tango, Poppa, Howard, Pete - FBI agents
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Begin Again All rights reserved.
Begin Again has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.