Mystery and Crime Fiction posted September 7, 2021


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Who Shot Sheriff Daniels

Astatula Twinkle

by Brett Matthew West


(These thoughts ran through my mind today. Not sure if I will further develop them or not. Suppose responses from Cody's fans will determine if they see something in them or not.)

The youngster who stood vigil in Hospital Room 2421 could have been easily mistaken for a vertically challenged janitor with a horseshoe moustache. The clean aroma of antiseptic spray permeated the air. Athletically-built, and in his early twenties, his youthful Norse looks made him appear to be a pre-pubescent. He was not.

His left hand splayed open against the glass in the window of the room overlooking the east side of Downtown Astatula. He kept his right fist tight and hung by his side. An indicator of his fighter spirit. Kamikaze raindrops from a growling purple sky splattered against the outside of the window as he watched ominous clouds roll by. His mirrored reflection showed a man who revisited an all too familiar misery.

"Cody?" The question no more than a puzzled whisper that broke his reverie and moved the youngster to the side of the occupied bed.

"It's me in the flesh," he replied urgently as he stared at the man's bandaged head. The crew-cut he knew not visible.

"Should have known. And you came alone," the petite brunette nurse stated. She entered a number on the chart that hung on the foot of the stretcher.

"The bastard who rules Hell made me come by myself. He claimed he'll never have to light a flame as hot as the one he'll need to roast me," Cody replied.

"Still got your own warped, unique, humor after all these years since we graduated together from Astatula High. Where has Mister Most Likely To Succeed been these last five years?" The nurse asked as she turned her attention to him. Fond memories of another time flashed through her mind.

"Away. Let's just say the finest accommodations the Texas Penal Institution has to offer in Huntsville," Cody remarked.

The nurse paused, then began, "There are many of us who believed you were innocent..."

Cody took stock of his surroundings, cut her off in mid-sentence, and said, "I'll clear my name. But, right now the only thing I give two plugs to a quarter about is that shot lawman laying in that bed. At least, he's still alive! What time is it, Ronnie?"

"Eight thirty on Sunday night and the sheriff needs his rest," Ronnie responded. She half-smiled at Cody and said more or less to hear her own voice, "Everything's going to be fine."

"I intend to make it that way," Cody promised. He studied the battered sheriff and tried to control his raging anger that festered more with each passed moment. Cody acknowledged to himself there was still plenty to worry about.

The call had been paged to Cody's cell phone about six that morning. Drenched to the skivvies in brackish water, Sheriff Daniels had been discovered face down at the edge of Sullivan Lake. Cody thought of many nights the two had spent together long ago after the sheriff adopted him. Upon notification, he could not wait to get to the sheriff's side.

Three twenties, a five spot, and two single water-soaked dollar bills had been inventoried in the sheriff's wallet. That led Cody to rule out a robbery. Cody believed the answers could be found tied somewhere to his past.

Cody was the only visitor he allowed in the sheriff's room. Beth had filed for divorce from the lawman several months before. That was another story. The case would receive his undivided attention. A steep price would be paid by the culprit for the attack. Considering his tarnished history, Cody had nothing to lose. He faced the sheriff and attempted to make a mental list of known enemies.

"It's a damn long list," Cody said outloud.

Hearing his comment, Ronnie asked, "What is?"

"Those who have sworn revenge against Dad," Cody responded.

"Well, he's been the sheriff of Astatula for almost thirty years. He's bound to have enemies," Ronnie reminded Cody. She observed the tone of the sheriff's skin and said, "His color is better. That's a positive indication."

"It's me he's always wanted," Cody said matter-of-factly.

"I know you well. You're going to wind up in big trouble again, Cody," Ronnie stated.

"Forget asking me to leave the room," Cody said. He looked hard at the sheriff and vowed, "Until I know who shot him, I'm not going anywhere. And, when I find out, may God have mercy on their worthless self...because I sure as hell won't!"

Ronnie confirmed, "You're no Ordinary Joe, and that's what I'm afraid of. You've got a fire in you and you'll die if you have to. If that's what it takes to avenge your father should you find out who shot him. You're still the same old Cody. Even prison walls could not change you."

"Not where Dad's concerned," Cody admitted. "You think I'm not up to the job? Think again, cowgirl! Playing the sheriff's body guard just became my newest reason to live."

Ronnie caved in. As in the not so distant past, Cody's smile charmed her. Sheriff Daniels moaned, but there was no other sounds emitted from him save his shallow breathing.
Circles under Cody's blue eyes indicated they were not the result of one day's vigilence.

"If he wakes up you'll let me know?" Ronnie asked as if she granted Cody permission to remain in the room.

"Straight away," Cody responded.

Ronnie glanced at Cody's cornsilk blond hair and began, "I still remember how you were in science class."

"Don't go there," Cody muttered. He sat in a chair that stood in the corner of the quaint room and watched the nurse leave. He had no room for the most glamorous moments in life.

Once again, Cody's overloaded mind wondered who had shot the sheriff? Just as important, why? The sheriff had been closed-mouthed about recent cases he worked on. Cody recollected Sheriff Daniels had vehemently protested his keeping close tabs on him.

"Why the hell didn't I put the pieces together before? It's not as if I just met you. Is it?" Cody pondered.




This is Evan, by Lilibug6, selected to complement all my Cody Schroder stories.

So, thanks Lilibug6, for the use of your remarkable picture that provides Cody such an easily recognizable face on FanStory.




Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by Lilibug6 at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Brett Matthew West All rights reserved.
Brett Matthew West has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.