Mystery and Crime Fiction posted September 6, 2021 Chapters:  ...44 45 -46- 47... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Mary, Jon and Faith

A chapter in the book Secrets in the Wind

Secrets in the Wind - Chap 46

by Begin Again




Background
Jack McKinley's recent death appears to be suspicious. The investigation of one crime leads to another and so many other secrets in the wind.
Mary watched Cynthia disappear down the service road before closing the screen door behind her and moving to stand by Faith. She tucked Faith’s blanket around her legs and kissed the top of her head. Like a concerned mom, she asked, “Are you okay?”
 
“I’m fine. I was enjoying the warm sunshine, and then our guests showed up.” She lifted her head to look directly at Mary. “Maybe I should ask you if you’re all right?”
 
Jon stretched out his hand to touch Mary’s arm, and she jerked away. She snarled in anger. “Don’t--touch me.”
 
Jon pleaded, “Mary, please let me explain.”
 
Mary glanced at Faith for a second before deciding to continue, “I stood at the front door, waiting for you to come and get me, only to receive a call from your best friend, Alex.”
 
“We were only fifteen, Mary. It was my parents. They said—”
 
“Stop it, Jon. I don’t want to hear your lies. The truth is, I was from the wrong side of town and pregnant. Did you even try to fight for me? Or did you gladly run away to Italy and a new life?”
 
Jon whined, “No, Mary, I didn’t want to leave, but I had no choice. It wasn't my idea to be a priest."

“You couldn’t even tell me yourself. Instead, Alex, Cassidy, and your parents concocted a story that you were dead. Did it ever cross your mind how devastated I was?” Sour stomach acids crept into her throat, and she swallowed hard, “You introduced me to a world I knew nothing about and left me alone."
 
“I thought—” Jon could not finish his sentence when he looked into Mary’s eyes.
 
“I don’t want to hear your lies. I’m not the foolish fifteen-year-old girl you left behind. I lived on the streets until Mrs. Bartlett took me into her home. I gave birth, and the nuns took my babies from me when they were two days old. I struggled to survive—”
 
Faith gasped, "Babies?" She stared at the man in front of her. Consumed by her anger, Mary had forgotten about her daughter. Of course, Faith knew the story about her father dying in a car accident, but a different version was unfolding before her eyes.
 
Faith tried to stand but fell back into the rocking chair. She moaned as she collapsed. Mary spun around as the nurse lifted Faith from her lopsided position. “Oh, Faith, are you hurt?”
 
Faith shook her head, but tears shimmered in her eyes. “Mary, who is this man? It sounds like he’s my—” Faith pressed her lips together, unable to finish the sentence. Her eyes pleaded with Mary for answers. "Did you say babies?"
 
Mary’s eyes filled with hatred as she glared at Jon. The emotional grief she felt when Cassidy exposed the truth this morning was gone. Knowing she’d lived in fairytales of what might have been for thirty years and then discovered she grieved for nothing was building like hot, molten lava. Seeing the hurt and confusion on Faith’s face was a spear to her heart. She wanted Jon to feel the pain. She wanted him to experience the grief, but that was impossible without hurting Faith as well.
 
Garth could only imagine the turbulent wave of emotions pounding against Mary’s mind and the confusion Faith must be feeling. He wrapped his hand around Jon’s arm. “Mary, I’ll take him away. Give you time to regroup. To talk with your daughter."
 
“No!” Mary screamed. She turned her back on Jon and knelt beside Faith. Faith’s hands were trembling as Mary picked them up and pressed her thin lips against them. She lifted her eyes to look at Faith. “This morning, as Hank was bringing me home, I saw an old childhood friend. I forced Hank to stop so I could talk to her. I wanted to tell her about you. Instead, she told me she’d lied thirty years ago. The man I believed loved me and was your father was not dead. It was all a staged performance.”
 
Tears streamed down Mary’s face as the anguish washed like tidal waves against the beach. Jon pulled away from Garth and stumbled up the steps toward the two women. “No, that’s not true, Mary. I loved you.”
 
Mary’s hand struck Jon’s cheek with a stinging slap. “Liar! How dare you wear the clothes of a priest and plead innocent.” She shoved him with all the strength she could conjure. He moved till his back rested against the porch post and his feet on the steps. "Secrets, that's all any of you know. Secrets!"
 
“Faith, I must admit to you that this poor excuse for a human is your father. His death was a fabricated lie to release him from all his promises. There's so much I discovered and need to tell you."
 
Faith wiped the tears away and found a tissue in her pocket. She sniffed, wiped her nose, and gulped for air. She glanced at Jon but turned away to face Mary. “Don’t do this to yourself. The past is over. We have each other. Besides, he’s a priest now. Maybe he’s repented. Couldn’t he be sorry? He came to pray for Annie, didn’t he?"
 
“No, from what I’ve been told, he’s an evil man.” Bitterness filled Mary’s voice. “I don’t know why he or that woman came, but it wasn’t because of Annie.”
 
A tear rolled from the corner of Jon’s eye as he hung his head in shame. “You’re right. Don’t waste your tears on me. I blamed my parents, the world, and especially God for everything that went wrong. I am a weak man, and I’ve succumbed to many things to achieve an easy life.” Jon lifted his head and looked at the two women. "Both of you found love and compassion. I found emptiness in the flesh of women and the deceit of gambling. God forgive me, but I sold my soul to the devil out of weakness and fear.”

Mary felt a twinge of pity for the shell of a man Jon had become. “Jon, listen to me. Faith is your flesh and blood. The prayers you wanted to offer for the little girl belong to your granddaughter. If there’s any sliver of goodness left in you and you know anything about Annie, I am begging you to tell us.”
 
*****************
Garth and Hank had joined the other agents near the other SUV, giving Mary a chance to sort out the situation independently. Their eyes remained focused on Jon and the women.
 
“Pete, I don’t trust Cynthia. Alert the guys down at the house and have Tango send out some guys to patrol the area. We’ll either have to move the women or set up a much tighter perimeter at both places.”
 
“On it, boss.”
 
Hank studied the trio and shook his head. “We don’t have any leads, suspicions, yes, but nothing concrete.”
 
Garth nodded. “I hate to agree, but I believe our first clue lies with a pathetic priest with the devil in his corner and a rejected woman with God at her side.”
 
“I’m not a betting man, but I am praying the Man Upstairs has a plan.” Hank leaned against the SUV and closed his eyes, saying a silent prayer.








Summary... Cassidy is framed for murder. Allie goes undercover to protect Cassidy, but they are both stabbed. Cassidy's life is threatened again in the hospital, and she is pronounced dead (but actually in protective custody). Mason Caldwell runs many illegal businesses, including drugs and human trafficking. Jon, a priest and Cassidy's brother, has sold his soul. Mary, a caregiver, discovers her child she gave up for adoption thirty years ago. Cynthia and Michael are searching for gold on Liz's property. The mysterious woman (Faith) is dying from cancer and lives in a secret cottage with her daughter, Annie, Sebastion, and Mary. Darryl runs the winery, and Miguel is in charge of the vineyards. Garth and Hank are trying to solve the cases.
 



Recognized


Theodore (Ted) and Meredith Cranston - previous owners of Sweet Haven Estates
Jack McKinley - present owner of Sweet Haven Estates - deceased
Elizabeth (Liz) McKinley - Jack's widow and owner of Sweet Haven Estates
Alyssa Shelton - (Allie) Liz's best friend and an Investigative Journalist
Darryl Pennington - Estate Foreman for past and previous owners
Mary Hunter - Retired nurse and current caregiver of Faith and Annie
Faith Cranston-Newton - daughter of the Ted and Meredith Cranston
Annie Cranston-Newton - Faith's daughter
Sebastian - the lovable St. Bernard and Annie's companion
Dr. Eugene Copeland - the local physician
Sofia Sanchez - Mason Caldwell's housekeeper
Miguel Sanchez - vineyard supervisor
Jon Saladino - Priest and much more
Cassidy Rotello - assistant of Mason Caldwell
Mason Caldwell - rancher and owner of a gambling casino
Garth Woodman - (Jeremy) Undercover FBI
Hank Armato - Private Investigator
Emmy Armato - Hank's wife and also retired detective
Cynthia - librarian, historian, town gossip, and wanna-be detective
Michael - realtor and Cynthia's nephew
Tango and Poppa - FBI agents
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Begin Again All rights reserved.
Begin Again has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.